For All of you Frag Sellers...

Ryan S

I saw this at my local Fedex store here in Crystal City today. It costs $9.99, but comes with $10 free on your account when you sign up. No monthly fees or costs. Simply 2.75% of each swipe. The rest gets deposited directly into your checking account. It plugs into the headphone jack on your phone. Pretty cool right? Our frag sellers should have these on hand for frag fest! :)

Front of Box:

gallery_2631706_11_276537.jpg

Back of Box:

gallery_2631706_11_296702.jpg

(edited)

+1 when you send money as "personal" there's never a fee.

or just do paypal on your smart phone and there is no 2.75% fee.

Edited by Jan

I use Square- even have a "MasterCard/Visa Accepted Here" sticker to put on the side of my frag tank! :biggrin:

But I prefer PayPal if people can to avoid the fees.

+1 when you send money as "personal" there's never a fee.

Doesn't this hold true for only when your acct. is linked directly to your checking acct. or when there is a balance in your paypal acct.? I just sent someone money as a gift and they still charged me a fee because there was a remaining balance on the transaction that had to go on my credit card.

Doesn't this hold true for only when your acct. is linked directly to your checking acct. or when there is a balance in your paypal acct.? I just sent someone money as a gift and they still charged me a fee because there was a remaining balance on the transaction that had to go on my credit card.

yep. and it's 3% with PP... so this way it's already cheaper... and safer with link to a credit card...

(edited)

I don't know. My acct is linked directly to my CA as well as a CC so if there's no money in PP they take $ from my CA first. If there's no money in my CA they take from my CC. If there's some money in my PP but not enough to cover the transaction they take all that's in my PP and the balance from my CA or CC. You do need a PP acct to use PP, I think. You pay 3% only if you do not send money as "personal" you can use owed, gift, other, etc. whatever is under the "personal" tab. You must choose "personal" to avoid any PP fees.

Edited by Jan

I have Square and use it for IT/Photography Services, CL postings and someday selling frags in the back of my car...cooler. I got it when it first came out for FREE.

Isn't it true that you can't get back your funds if you send by PayPal Gift? There is no safety net if you have a dispute to the person you sent it to in getting your money back.

I don't know. My acct is linked directly to my CA as well as a CC so if there's no money in PP they take $ from my CA first. If there's no money in my CA they take from my CC. If there's some money in my PP but not enough to cover the transaction they take all that's in my PP and the balance from my CA or CC. You do need a PP acct to use PP, I think. You pay 3% only if you do not send money as "personal" you can use owed, gift, other, etc. whatever is under the "personal" tab. You must choose "personal" to avoid any PP fees.

didnt know you can link both credit card and bank account. i only have it linked to my CC. maybe that's why we're getting fees no matter what method we choose. If i choose "gift" under personal, i still pay the fee.

I have Square and use it for IT/Photography Services, CL postings and someday selling frags in the back of my car...cooler. I got it when it first came out for FREE.

It's still free if you sign up online: https://squareup.com/reader

I guess the $10 is to the store that stocks it retail.

It's still free if you sign up online: https://squareup.com/reader

I guess the $10 is to the store that stocks it retail.

the store version comes with $10 free on your account, so it's still free too technically.

either way i think its a great option for sellers to collect money from a new source. paypal works too, but not everyone has it either.

either way i think its a great option for sellers to collect money from a new source. paypal works too, but not everyone has it either.

I had only seen it used here and there until I went to a street festival where there were lots of individuals selling their wares- handmade necklaces, paintings, caricatures, etc. Turns out Square is super popular with the "carni" crowd since it doesn't require the purchaser to have a PayPal account.

You can sign up for free on squares website and they will mail you a free reader at no charge. Saving you ten dollars.

the one in the store costs $10 to buy, but it comes with $10 of squares credit in your account... so it's also free.

PayPal only charges you a fee if it goes through a CC. If its liked to a bank account there are no fees on either end of the transaction

Cash is always KING but the square I have to say for small business owners or people only selling recreationally its a better way to go...

I was actually at a bead store in Occocquan yesterday and the owner uses a square... theres no monthly fee, the % is less than getting a machine because of all the new charges and minimums and fees put in place by the companies...

It is just as secure as any credit card machine...

PayPal Is getting into the market of Square with PayPayl Here. The swiping dongle for iPhone is also Free with 2.75% fee per swipe.

I see them pretty often in the city from street vendors. I bought my lunch off a food truck yesterday that was using an ipad and square for their POS system. I also bought some frags from one of our local online vendors and he used a iPhone w/ a square.

Brian Set up the Square up to our paypal account for WAMAS so you can buy as many raffle tickets as you want on your CC!

Now we need to have a meeting where Brian can make it!

Brian Set up the Square up to our paypal account for WAMAS so you can buy as many raffle tickets as you want on your CC!

Now we need to have a meeting where Brian can make it!

See, that's really smart! Great idea right there.

(not like it matters though. Doug is going to win all the darn prizes anyway). *cough* :)