Rick and Marina's 225G SPS tank

Evan, i will put your idea to the test, thank you for suggesting that bucket and a piece of LR experiment.

Also, I forgot you were having the phosphate "issues." Did you ever test this out, or get them down to how you would like them?

You mentioned that you noticed a difference in color and growth with the high po4 levels?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've had the pleasure of seeing this tank in person and all the colonies look like all the online over-saturated images but in REAL LIFE, haha. top five most impressive tanks i've seen on the board. awesome photos and thanks for sharing!

Thank you all.

Also, I forgot you were having the phosphate "issues." Did you ever test this out, or get them down to how you would like them?

You mentioned that you noticed a difference in color and growth with the high po4 levels?

I did get them down, would not have it any other way. We added more rock when new sump was installed and continued with gfo.

Stunning tank. How long have you been growing out most of your coral?

Turaki and pink lemonade, for example, were grown to their current sizes from 2" frags in three years

Awesome thank you. I always like to know under the right conditions.

• 2 months later...

As we completely re-aquascaped the tank in the past month and a half, I thought it was the right time to add this little guy :)

He came out of QT 2 weeks ago and doing quite well.

The tank is still re-cycling with the new rock, but we did not sustain any coral losses. All should be back to normal in a month or so.

Hey Marina! When you added your Blueface, do you remember how big it was? Did you get lucky and get one that doesn't nip at SPS, or is it that most of your stuff is colonies so it does not matter? I am toying with the idea of moving up in tank size when we move, and going with just colored sticks.

Oh, and now that I've gone through your build and been inspired again, any recent shots to share?!

Blueface was about 4". He nips at new frags, especially deepwater variety, but looses interest in a day or two.

Here is one of the more recent pics

imagejpg1_zpsba9a2ecb.jpg

Blueface was about 4". He nips at new frags, especially deepwater variety, but looses interest in a day or two.

Here is one of the more recent pics[/img]

Thanks for the quick reply! He is a handsome for sure, one of my dream fish!

As always, the tank is looking spectacular!

Tank is surreal.  I noticed your A.suharsonoi on the first page.  Did you grow that from a small frag?  How long did it take?

Also, with the 400 watt bulbs do you run a higher tank temp?

Thank you.

Suharsonoi came as a small colony from LA. It is a slow grower.

Tank gets to 81f in the summer, sometimes it might go to 82, but then the controller shuts halides down.

• 3 months later...

Hi Matt,

There are no real updates. Tank is doing well. I got some reefraft frags a month ago, they are coloring up in the frag tank.

Found out today that a.tenella made it to the protected list. Excited to see my colony grow :)

DSC_0084_zpsa8bd9fc2.jpg

Hi Matt,

There are no real updates. Tank is doing well. I got some reefraft frags a month ago, they are coloring up in the frag tank.

Found out today that a.tenella made it to the protected list. Excited to see my colony grow :)

Nice, it's a keeper for sure  :happy:

Hi Matt,

DSC_0084_zpsa8bd9fc2.jpg

Didn't happen to get a Reef Raft Ultimate Orange Passion. 

• 1 month later...

Wow, cant believe how beautiful the corals look.  This is an amazing tank.  Cant wait to see few more updates/photos.

I have one question, do you run GAC/Carbon in this tank?  If so how much? If not, how do you manage to keep the water polished/crystal clear?  

Many thanks.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Add another to the list who is eager to see how everything is looking!