Cyclic topics in saltwater

Chad

Having been a part of or around this hobby for relly my whole life, I have seen a lot of things come and go and sometimes return again. I find it very interesting to watch over time.

Something I have seen come up again more recently is discussion on the use of black sailfin mollies in saltwater.

For those who don't know, black sailfin mollies are a common freshwater fish that are prolific livebearers and can be fully aclimated to, live, and breed in full strength saltwater. Really, they are almost bulletproof little guys... [i remember when I was a kid adding them in our outdoor pond near Park City, Utah. Years the pond didn't fully freeze through, the mollies overwintered successfully... but I digress].

Since I haven't seen the discussion pop up here, I will throw out potential benefits and uses for saltwater mollies: They are small algae-eaters that have been captive bred for a long time. They are prolific live-bearers with small fry that may have use in breeding/propagation efforts or as a generally tasty snack for tank inhabitants. The acclimation from fresh water to saltwater kills most parasites making them a quick introduction to the aquarium. And they are cheap.

I tried it many years ago as an attempt at controlling hair algae. As with many mollies in pet shops, they looked a little iffy at the start, but transformed into beautiful, healthy fish one acclimated to SW. The only problem I ran into was that the clowns detested them and gave them no peace, so the experiment didn't go very far.

• 2 weeks later...

My sacrificial molly is still alive!

I bought a marbled molly because of this thread to try and help with the algae in my chiragra mantis tank. ohmy.gif Shocking I know, and I kinda feel bad for picking the cheapest molly for this task, just in case...

Today was the first day in the tank after a full week of acclimating. I'm watching her chow down on the algae covered walls as I type. I never imagined they would go after algae like that. I'm very impressed and thank you for this thread.

^Glad to hear! And you are very welcome :)

Glad she is doing well :)

I used to have some dalmatian mollies in my refugium, years ago. I can't remember who I gave them to. I have heard that they breed faster in salt water than they do in freshwater, though have never investigated the subject. I was actually thinking about getting some a few weeks ago, but still not sure.

Thought I would update, my molly is still doing great. The mantis even came out yesterday to check her out. I'm guessing while he was out he spied the beautiful purple feather duster I put in a week ago, because today I see the feathers decorating his door! unsure.gif

Back in the day, when gas was still leaded and a person could still get a good job with a high school diploma or even a GED, Mollies were probably one of the most common ways to cycle a new saltwater tank. Most people only kept them until the tank was cycled, then sent them on a one-way trip to the county water treatment plant though. This was before we understood the value of live rock and that may be the main reason you don't hear about using them for cycling tanks very often. Using them to help control algae though--I'd never even considered that!

• 1 month later...

I just bought 3 pairs of mollies today and have been acclimating them to full strength SW over the course of the last 4 hours. They're at 1.021 in a well aerated bucket and seem to be doing fine so far.

I'll be dumping them into the tank at 10pm.

They are all in now and acting like regular fish. A pair of Dalmation Lyretails, pair of Blacks, pair of Creamsicle Lyretails.

Update to follow on progress.

I'm interested in finding out if they consume substantial quantities (and if so, which different types) of algaes.

I just bought 3 pairs of mollies today and have been acclimating them to full strength SW over the course of the last 4 hours. They're at 1.021 in a well aerated bucket and seem to be doing fine so far.

I'll be dumping them into the tank at 10pm.

Wow! only took 4 hours? I thought it would takes weeks.

Mollies tolerate higher salt than most fresh water fish as they are actually brackish water fish (or atleast born in brackish water) so to acclimate them to full SW is much less time and stress intensive...

I've kept fingerfish (monodactylus argenteus) and cat sharks (Arius jordani). Both are brackish fish like mollies that convert to full salt with ease. Are there any others that can be converted?

This is awesome. Congrats! You going to use them as live food?

Only if they get eaten by something. So far, they just swim around with the Purple Tang that lives in the overflow.

Only if they get eaten by something. So far, they just swim around with the Purple Tang that lives in the overflow.

I got my first saltwater tank in 1987, a 25 gallon setup with an undergravel filter (my, how things have changed...) I remember that a couple of Black Lyretail Mollies were among our first fish. I don't remember them breeding in the saltwater tank (they did in the 30 gallon freshwater aquarium), but they did just fine for around a year and a half before the Air Force transferred me and we had to find them a new home - after converting them back to fresh water. I wonder if they'll eat GHA? :happy: - It may be time to try them again. :bluefish:

I got my first saltwater tank in 1987, a 25 gallon setup with an undergravel filter (my, how things have changed...) I remember that a couple of Black Lyretail Mollies were among our first fish. I don't remember them breeding in the saltwater tank (they did in the 30 gallon freshwater aquarium), but they did just fine for around a year and a half before the Air Force transferred me and we had to find them a new home - after converting them back to fresh water. I wonder if they'll eat GHA? :happy: - It may be time to try them again. :bluefish:

Well, I went ahead and bit: my frag tank is now home to a pair of creamsicle lyretail mollies. Five hours of slow drip (really slow at first) in a jug in my sump to acclimate. They seem to be doing fine and have picked a little at some of the nuisance algae (although not the worst stuff, at least not yet). I also know I have one each male & female, so there's the possibility (or maybe probability) of babies in the future.

I have a pair of black mollies I acclimated over about 8 hours or so. They have done fine over many months now, but have shown no interest whatsoever in my hair algae. Too bad, but I got them mainly for their color. What other all black fish can you think of -- i've seen one, a black angel.

I have a pair of black mollies I acclimated over about 8 hours or so. They have done fine over many months now, but have shown no interest whatsoever in my hair algae. Too bad, but I got them mainly for their color. What other all black fish can you think of -- i've seen one, a black angel.

Black Tang

http://reefbuilders.com/2010/10/20/black-tang-video-shows-perfect-quality-specimen/