Bangaii Fry

Pants

4 are spoken for so far so that still leaves 7. It will be 4 more months before they are ready (unless you want to set up a tank for them and finish them yourself which I am cool with since you know what you are doing).

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe just shy of a centimeter circle. I am usually looking down on them so I don't know how accurate my perspective is. If I find time this weekend I plan to move them to a larger enclosure or at least clean their current digs so I should get a better idea then.

I am getting two as well and would like to try for a M/F pair. Would any of you who are also getting some be willing to trade with me if my two turn out to be both of the same sex?

I am getting two as well and would like to try for a M/F pair. Would any of you who are also getting some be willing to trade with me if my two turn out to be both of the same sex?
unless I grow too attached I will lol.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

sachabballi, 3 is doable as I have heard people who do 1 female and 2 males in a large enough tank for the males to be far away from eachother, but if you tank wouldn't work for that sort of situation the males will kill each other. If it is big enough and with enough rock work for that then it can be the ideal situation as the female will alternate mating with each male which gives the males more time to recover between broods.

Sexing is also very difficult in this species. Some think thyey can do it in adults, but in juveniles it is near impossible. What I have offerred to do for others is what Inland Aquatics (my source for the parents) did for me. He selected a dominant member of the group assuming it would be male and then one of the more passive fish. I will try to do the same for anyone who wants more than 1 fish but it may not work. It might be best for all involved if we coordinate in the months after all the fish find new homes and if people notice fish fighting we can try to swap them around to see if we can't make everyone happy.

Hmmmn...I have a 180 but I have a 75 I can put one into if it appears I have 2 males so I think I'm fine...just don't give me 3 males

Hmmmn...I have a 180 but I have a 75 I can put one into if it appears I have 2 males so I think I'm fine...just don't give me 3 males

If you end up with 3 males I have room in my tank :)

Well if this many people are interested I might try to catch and raise the current eggs as well. I don't have a good handle on when he stopped eating since I was sick at the time so I may not catch any but I'll try.

wahooo....this is going to be fun....we will all have siblings lol...

christie sounds perfect you got it!

You live not far from us so you have an extra tank if need be and can stop by and watch it as it grows etc. I do not have any of these in my tank so we should not have an issue :)

Bad news. We lost 3 in the last few days. 2 Just disappeared but we saw what we think happened to them with the third today. While feeding it freaked out and stopped moving. It eventually ended up on the bottom breathing slowly until it stopped breathing. We tried to get it up moving in the water column but it just kept swimming a bit then just sort of stopping again. It is very much like what Sharkey18 had described so I suspect this is a fatty acid issue. The ones we lost were all the smaller ones so I suspect they weren't getting much of the frozen mysis and other marine food. I'd hoped I was past the point where this would be a concern after I discontinued the brine shrimp but it seems not. We still have 8 but there are still 2 small ones I'll be worried about for awhile.

I bought a second enclosure for them so I'll be able to move them into something bigger and collect any new fry that get released next if some of you who won't get fish from this batch still would like some (so we're talking like nearly 7 months from now when they would be available).

We lost one more to Sudden Fright Syndrome shortly after my last message but none since then. I think my BIG mistake was using freshwater cyclops instead of arctic cyclops (what I thought I had). So while I thought they had been on marine food for weeks they had actually been exclusively on freshwater food. Now they are eating Marine Cuisine. The only trouble with this stuff is that it has such a ;arge variety of particle sizes that a lot goes to waste.

They have started getting very aggressive in feeding. They attack the pipette when they see it and tear into meat that is too big for them. Some are now twice as big as the smallest most passive fish. On that same note all the fish that died were the smaller more passive fish, so I only have one that I think of as passive. This might make sexing them harder.

They are now in a breeder net in my display tank instead of a hang on tank. I might buy another of these and attach a larger mesh size.

So out of the 11 original fish I now have 7 that are all now finally on an exclusively marine diet and appear to be eating well. I am still on baby watch for the next brood so we don't know yet if I'll be raising those (but I'm going to try to catch them when released). The father is being very shy this past week so I haven't gotten a good look. About a week before he releases the fry you can see them in his mouth starring back at you. I've dropped my fake urchins in the tank just in case.

If you are able to catch any babies but don't feel like raising them let me know. I'd be happy to be their foster mother....

(edited)

I might just take you up on that. Taking care of my (now 4.5 month) son (why won't he sleep?!?!?!), my 40 tomato seedlings (stupid cold nights kept delaying planting), and the fry has been more work than I'd wanted (well that and the botched surgery). I feel like I got pretty lucky catching 11 this last time though. The mother hunts them down and eats them fast so I have to be checking every few hours the days they are being released to to catch them and I stupidly didn't record the day the father stopped eating this time so I don't know exactly what days to be staying up late checking. Still no eyes looking back at me from the father's mouth so I think I have at least another week.

Edited by Pants

• 1 month later...

Quick update. I didn't catch any new fry. We still have 6 of the older fry. One is quite large and one is still quite small. I am still trying to get a feel for who is aggressive and who is docile so I can try to give out properly sexed pairs. I think there will be mistakes.

(edited)

I've been watching the two adult Bangaii doing their fertilization/passing eggs dance today. I'll be watching carefully this evening to see if the male is eating or not. Only 5 of the original 11 baby Bangaii are still alive. Its quite disheartening. They will need to be off to their new home by the end of June so if everyone interested in having some of them can reply or PM to let me know if you are still interested. 

My mated pair of Yellow Watchmen Gobies also have eggs atm, but I won't be raising those.

Edited by Pants

• 2 weeks later...

Might want to move dad to baby tank or a qt so he can " get some meat on his bones" so u dont lose him..

I tried that awhile ago, he refused to eat. That guy hated the QT tank like no fish I've seen. It might be better to remove the female next time I try.

• 5 months later...

I caught 19 fry early this morning. That is the most yet. Last time we caught 11 but only 3 survived to adulthood. We did pretty good until they started attacking each other. I have better food this time (to avoid the sudden fright syndrome thing) and I will move them to bigger digs before they start attacking each other (how we lost most last time).