Bangaii Fry

Pants

He is now about 5 weeks old and growing fast. Eating frozen mysis and cyclops. He has out grown the Rotifers. He is starting to spend some time away from his fake urchin. I think he is hunting. The tanks has a lot of stuff to eat in it.

I am starting to think about finding someone to buy him.

The male is still carrying the new clutch despite having less than 2 weeks to fatten up between clutches. I've cut an intricate egg crate divider to put in th DT to fit around the live rock that I plan to use to separate the male from the female after he is done with this clutch. He is so much smaller than her now I want to give him plenty if time to eat and grow before he accepts more eggs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The baby is now eating frozen spiraling brine in addition to the frozen PE mysis and cyclops. He has hit a bit if a growth spurt. I think he is leaving the urchin to hunt most of the day.

The father must have released the rest of the new brood because he is eating again. The babies all got eaten before I could save any. The father is now half the size of the mother since he has been carrying eggs most of the year. I'm hoping to separate him somehow so I can get him caught up in size.

Any Updates?

Nothing too much to update on. We have stopped feeding any live food since he is eating a variety of quality frozen food now (cyclops, PE mysis, spirulina brine). He seems to have hit a growth spurt and while exploring more he still spends most of his day in the fake sea urchin. His dorsal fins are getting very long but the body is still very small. The spots on the pectoral fins are starting to be pretty noticeable. I'd like to get him bigger before sending him off to his new home and I am hoping that is in the next month or so.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. Within minutes of posting I was thinking about selling him I got several emails.

My only concern now is the male is holding eggs again and he had less than a week to eat between this brood and the last.

he'll be fine. If not he'll spit out or eat the eggs. I feed my babies baby brine shrimp. I counted the days from from the male started holding and then had bbs ready once the babies arrived.

• 3 weeks later...

We had an exciting day. We moved the male into the tank with the baby fish hoping we'd have better luck collecting any babies he releases and that it would give us a chance to fatten him up before he picks up more eggs.

He released two babies and one was DOA. So we now have the father, the 2.5 month old, and a brand new fry all in the tank together. I'll try to get some decent photos tomorrow. Hopefully the fish will all get along... We've seen a little chasing where the father has chased the 2.5 month into his fake urchin so i added some PVC towers to sort of divide the tank and if we need to we have a full tank divider prepared. We have 2 fake urchins now so I'm hoping everyone can find a place.

The 2.5 month old has his spots now which means it pretty much looks just like an adult only smaller.

You have had some pretty busy & awesome days with these bangaiis!

I woke up this morning and couldn't find the new baby :(

I searched around for quite awhile thinking the daddy fish must have eaten him. Then I found the little guy in a corner under a rock and noticed something odd. There were two! So we have two tiny baby fish not one. I don't have live brine yet (should by tonight) but I think they are eating the frozen rotifers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to update everybody, I brought baby fish home today, he's already in my tank, he was essentially QTd while growing up, and he's great! Out in the open almost immediately, right front and center! Gregg did a great job raising this guy, I can't wait to get him a few friends after he grows a bit more :-)ad407e49-3483-8e9f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So good to see him doing well in a real aquarium (not a quarantine).

How is he settling in now?

• 7 months later...

Well I just finished up capturing 7 new bangaii fry. Dad is still not eating so there may be more. I am trying something different this time. Instead of setting up a QT tank I have the babies in one of those little plastic hang on tanks that uses an air line to circulate water from the DT. I fed them some frozen rotifers and started up some brine. Hopefully they will stay alive until the brine emerge as I still don't know if they are actually eating the frozen - they aren't supposed to from what I have read but it kind of looks like they eat it. They are so small its very hard to tell.

I caught 3 in our long spine urchin, 3 were in a cluster at the front bottom of the tank (some might have been eaten by a big favia they were hanging out near) and 1 made it to one of my fake urchins I dropped in there a few days ago. I'm so excited! Jenny has the only one I've managed to raise so I'm eager to try again. I'll be home full time (watching my newborn son) so I'll be able to look after these guys more easily.

Thanks for the gratz. The babies survived their first night. I keep squirting frozen rotifers at them. The brine haven't hatched yet, but I am hoping soon. I got a good look at dad (he is always skitish when carrying fry) and he definitely still has quite a mouthful of babies so I'll be on the lookout for more the next few days.

I rescued 4 more tonight. My brine still haven't hatched (grrrr) so I fed frozen rotifers all day. I love how they school together. I'll try to get a decent picture tomorrow.

I know there must have been some I didn't capture since it looked like mommy was hunting them yesterday and both mommy and daddy fish looked to be on the hunt tonight (they were right up in my fake urchins). I feel pretty good about saving 11 though - way more than I have managed the past few times. If I can get these brine to hatch I'm pretty confident I'll get a few to adulthood.

Edited by Pants

Its been a couple days and I still have all 11. They are hanging out in a fake urchin I had made previously. They are gobbling up frozen rotifers and baby brine. I also started a culture of live rotifers today, but it will be over a week I think before those will be harvestable.

All 11 are still alive and well. The live rotifer culture isn't dense enough to feed yet, but it might have been unnecessary as they are already eating frozen rotifers and frozen cylops in addition to the live brine.

I have them in one of those little acrylic things that hangs on the side of the tank and its getting dirty fast. I need to figure out a better way to clean it than what I have been doing.

I've managed to keep them alive long enough now though that I'm feeling good about the prospects of getting all/most to full size.

• 1 month later...

Another month and they are all alive and well. They are entirely on frozen food now (cyclops). I'm going to need to find bigger accommodations for them soon. And the father is holding eggs again! I've been pretty neglectful of the tank as I've been dealing with kidney stone, surgery for the stones, and bad drug reactions for the past 2 months but everything seems to be chugging along well through all the neglect.