Bangaii Fry

Pants

Its about 4-6 months before they are big enough. I lost so many last time I don't want to have people queuing up until they are nearly ready. I really think I'll be able to do better this time, but lets wait at least 4 months before we start looking for homes for these. Also I might just give them all to Sharkey after I get them past the first few weeks (we still need to discuss it).

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far all are still alive and eating well. I am trying to gut load the baby brine with nannochloropsis. Not sure if the freshly hatched brine are eating it though.

New hatched baby brine don't eat for something like 24 hours, they live on their yolk sack.  But then you can gut load them if they are still small enough to be consumed by the fry.  Baby brine with the yolk sack have a weird nutritional profile, and gut loading them with Nannochloropsis is a good improvement.  You can improve another big step by cultivating a second algae like ISO, and then the HUFA fatty acid profile of the two algaes in combination will be more complete.  There are also emulsions on the market that you can use to gut load brine shrimp.

Brine shrimp are famous for growing strongly on even the "weed" algaes in the wild, so you could even get some water from the river, increase the salinity, and add some fertilizer to bloom the blue green algae and tetraselmis.  TET is one algae that will survive the salinity change and can be found in both fresh and salt water, but there are probably others in local waters as well.  Any combination of phyto will be another step up from just Nanno.

This sounds like a great project and I think you're doing a great job.  Good luck.

Awesome post. thank you. I had wondered if they would still eat with their yolk sacks. I've been feeding them when they are just 12 hours old. I've been using a nano paste from brineshrimpdirect. I've had pretty good luck getting them to frozen food quickly (really as soon as they are big enough to eat cyclops). We have a saltwater cultured tetraselmis at work so I could play with that with the next batch of baby fish.

• 4 weeks later...

As I write this the female bangaii is doing her vibrate next to the male thing she does at the start of their dance where she gives him the eggs.

So cool, pants, saw your fry at Sharkeys, wicked cool project you two are working here!

I'm sure you've already tried this, but wait until they are good and hungry, then give them the new food.  It is more likely that they will take a chance on a new food if they are hungry.  If they don't take to the new food, then you can give them live bbs again.  You've probably already thought of this.

Thanks Dave… they are getting there. I offered frozen brine today and some of them ate the smaller pieces. Then tonight I offered frozen shrimp roe and most if not all ate it. Very exciting. It makes my life a lot easier and increases the odds of survival. It also makes it a lot easier to feed them enough to make them grow! 

I either try and wait until they are hungry to introduce something new, or introduce it with the bbs to try and fool them into taking a bite. 

If my male can hang onto his clutch this time (he is young and immature and after a few days he's like screw this not eating thing…. ) and pants gets another clutch we are going to have a lot more babies soon enough! 

• 2 weeks later...

Still have 17 babies. They are now completely weaned to frozen making my life MUCH easier. But they are still smaller than a dime and can only eat cyclops and roe and some brine shrimp pieces. 

On a less positive note my male dropped his second clutch. Dude is SO immature. 

• 3 weeks later...

All 17 of the babies I got from Pants a few weeks ago are doing great. Their bodies are slightly smaller than a dime still, but they are all eating small frozen mysis. 

I will keep them for at least another month because they are so small. 

How do you tell the difference between male and female? I have one still little, that I would like to pair up one day.