February 2012 tank photo update

gizmoody

6813889375_c53ffb9343_z.jpg

What do you think? Need to get rid of that large GSP, Frogspawn, rock of Rhodactis mushrooms and valadia soon and frag that torch. Corals are finally growing in and I still have the urge to get more. Baby on the way so no upgrading anytime soon.

Wow this is really looking good! I want some of those Zoas when they are ready to be thinned!

:biggrin:

Edited by dcreefer

Wow! Thanks for all the great comments! I started in August 2010 so it's been about a year and a half. I had about 6 months (about 6 months ago) where nothing grew and corals died due to low alkalinity that I didn't catch and a whole lot of red bugs so you wouldn't believe how happy I am to see growth. At this rate I think it'll be completely filled in about 6-12 months from now. It's just a 65 gallon tank. Does it really look that big?!

Should I drop the tank progression shots in this thread? If you click on the pic you can see them on Flickr also. Only if anyone is interested though.

Edited by gizmoody

I am just starting out in the hobby (although my husband is much more experienced) and wonder how (you) others determine how many corals to put in a tank. When I garden, for each seedling I purchase, there is info about how much space the plant will eventually need. I struggle to figure that similar info out for corals. How did you gauge how many corals to place in your tank?

I was going to say look at the size of the vortech wetside no way its 300g. haha i think its cause the tangs are on the small side.

tank is looking pretty good, glad you were able to deal with the red bugs...always a good feeling when things start to grow after dealing with issues. i hope they grow quickly for you...

as for how much space and how many corals....its up to you...put as much or as little as you want....somewhat like a garden they will grow as big as you let them.

i have too many and when things get to big i either let them grow into one another (and one coral wins) or i start fragging them...some corals grow up, some grow out like a plate and some encrust...thats about the control you have...just need to know the general growth pattern of said coral and hope you planned well...or move it.

I think rob should be the wamas greeting comittee.....our slogan could be "Yeah...thas right" :biggrin:

Word the little Tangs thru me too...lol

Tank looks really good! You have mad coraline algae! Something I swear I can never get to grow....lol

I am just starting out in the hobby (although my husband is much more experienced) and wonder how (you) others determine how many corals to put in a tank. When I garden, for each seedling I purchase, there is info about how much space the plant will eventually need. I struggle to figure that similar info out for corals. How did you gauge how many corals to place in your tank?

I have never come across a gallon to inch of coral ratio like fish to gallon ratio, as the important things to consider are light per gallon and distance from light source, water flow and if you want to supplement calcium, magnesium, alkalinity and/or kalk when things start to really grow. I looked at other peoples' tanks with corals on the web and saw what sizes the corals I wanted to get or acquired could grow to. Small frags take a long time to grow and the bigger the coral the faster it seems to grow (proven by scientific papers). I made the mistake of placing corals too close even when considering size. I didn't realize that they all seem to grow differently based on flow and other things. You've got good advice above already. My best advice is glue your corals to small rocks and then glue those to your big rocks. This way, you can always move corals around without having to deal with encrusting on large rocks.

AHHH, the second picture in your flicr account has red bugs all over your acro... Are you working on this???

Intercepted those bad boys and girls and their eggs a few months ago. Now I have flatworms.

Only 65g? The powder blue tang and blue hippo tang must be like 1" each!

I got them when they were tiny. The idea was to upgrade by now, but circumstances prevent that and those tangs are growing. They still have space but I don't want to stress them. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to find new homes probably with WAMAS members who can take great care of them. :( Don't know how in the world I'm going to catch them!

Only 65g? The powder blue tang and blue hippo tang must be like 1" each!

Great looking tank. Surprised to see the 2 tangs getting along in a 65g. I thought power blues won't get along with hippos since they are of similar shape and color. Only concern I have is that your tangs may out grow your 65g soon.

Great looking tank. Surprised to see the 2 tangs getting along in a 65g. I thought power blues won't get along with hippos since they are of similar shape and color. Only concern I have is that your tangs may out grow your 65g soon.

Added the powder blue last and they get along, swim together and only once in a while there might be a one second chase. Great fish, but since I can't upgrade, they'll have to go to a bigger home.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Treated for flatworms (the opaque ones, not brown) with Flatworm exit today. I had dipped 3 corals a week ago in Coral Rx that seemed to have flatworm bite mark/loss of color and I couldn't believe it...there were a lot of those suckers falling off. Hopefully Flatworm exit has done it's job today with a whole tank treatment. Thought I saw some floating around.

I think it looks great right now, and will only get better! Keep an eye on those monti caps as they grow out. They can become a pita.

Dude, how do they become a pita? I was just happy to see it grow but now that you mention it, this green monti grows fast! What should I be worried about and how do I prevent it now? Any advice appreciated. BTW do you live in Bowie? My sister lives there.

Dude, how do they become a pita? I was just happy to see it grow but now that you mention it, this green monti grows fast! What should I be worried about and how do I prevent it now? Any advice appreciated. BTW do you live in Bowie? My sister lives there.

Grew up in Bowie. Now in Howard County...

They just grow REALLY fast, and need to be isolated someway. If they are too high in the tank will shadow everything... Don't be scared to "snap" them. They heal very easy.

You only have a couple so it shouldn't be much of a problem. I made the mistake of overloading a small tank with them.