tpallas' 33g SPS Dropoff Nano

tpallas

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome job on the plumbing! I'm curious - why do have to use T's on the siphon overflow as opposed to just an elbow? All BAs are done this way...

Thanks.

One of them will run outside of full siphon most of the time.  The hole and air hose aren't pictured yet, but will be installed on the secondary drain pipe.

So, is this going to reach the 2 year mark before it gets water in it???

Ouch Steve.  Nope, the build is technically finished once I put up the pics of the light pole tonight.  However, Tom has decided he wanted us to handle the rockscape on the vertical wall and bottom.  That will be done before the tank is delivered.

Awesome job on the plumbing! I'm curious - why do have to use T's on the siphon overflow as opposed to just an elbow? All BAs are done this way...

The T's are usually used instead of an elbow for cleaning convenience.

In the classic BeanAnimal design the caps on the top are threaded so that you can unscrew one and run a brush down them if the line gets clogged by a snail or something.  I'm not sure if these are threaded or not.  Even if they're not going to be used for cleaning, you would drill, tap, screw in a john guest (or murlok if you buy from BRS) fitting and put a tube on the designated "open channel" cap and then run the tube into the overflow box just a smidge over the height of the emergency drain so that it will flush the box if the emergency isn't handling it.  It's easier to drill and tap a cap than an elbow too.

Nice planning on the plumbing, Adam.  You know this, I'm sure, but remember that the BA full siphon is supposed to terminate just barely under the water level of the drain section.  It looks kind of low at the moment.  If you put it too low, the full siphon has trouble starting because it has to push down all of that height of water that fills it back up from the sump direction before it will start flowing from the top. 

It definitely can't terminate further under the sump water level than the difference between the overflow weir and the bottom of the downturned full siphon elbow or else physics says no water will flow.

Ouch Steve.  Nope, the build is technically finished once I put up the pics of the light pole tonight.  However, Tom has decided he wanted us to handle the rockscape on the vertical wall and bottom.  That will be done before the tank is delivered.

Hahaha - that wasn't a shot at you Adam, that was for Tom.

I know there are a lot of tanks out there that have been in the planning/assembly stage for a long time (probably a good thing).  I think this one takes the prize for longest build though.

Hahaha - that wasn't a shot at you Adam, that was for Tom.

I know there are a lot of tanks out there that have been in the planning/assembly stage for a long time (probably a good thing).  I think this one takes the prize for longest build though.

Hey, aren't you familiar with the tale of the Tortoise and the Hare?  This tank could have TOTM written all over it soon enough.  I think it's the first ever dry tank that should win ;), but Tom can make it a true winner once he works his husbandry magic!

The length of the build is not constrained by a calendar, but rather by my bank account.

Been there man, been there.

Steve's just jealous Tom lol.  He loves this part of the hobby.  He's been on this boat 2....or 3.....or 8 times already and is probably dreaming up his own dropoff now.  If only he can figure out how to get the idea past the wife.....ROFL.

Adam I think we'll need a hole or two by the top shelf to run the electrical wires from the controller and doser?

Also, how do we want to handle the rock setup - do I need to fill it up at my place and then do the cementing here?

Cheers