Ryan's 150g Marineland Deep Dimension!

Ryan S

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)

How small.? Will it be the only fish in there?

2" would be ideal. And yes, I would QT them alone. I was thinking of adding the tangs 1 by 1, first by QTing them alone for 2-4 weeks each, then adding them to the DT 1 by 1. (so I guess that would answer the question if I planned on adding them at the same time).

I want these 4: yellow tang, blue hippo tang, desjardini sailfin tang, and powder blue tang. I like these for their personality and colors. I want a colorful mix of fish. I don't like the scopas or yellow eye as much for that reason.

However, if 4 is too many, and I had to choose 3, I'd probably remove the PBT.

Could I add them in this order (I think this is least to most aggressive)? blue, yellow, sailfin, pbt?

I also need to decide if I want to try anthias again. A school of them is expensive, but they are so neat to watch in the tank. A cheap school of chromis is an option I suppose (though they don't look half as nice as anthias).

Edited by Ryan S

There are other chrmois out there other than the traditonal green ones. Check out LA, they have some really neat ones on there, yes theyre pricey, but so are anthias. The chromis are much easier to keep and far less demanding. Im not a tang expert, so I dont how they should be added. My tellow mimic was not nice to the purple tang for the first few hours, but then they seemed ok. Now they get along just fine. Swimming and eating side by side. Both of them are on the smaller 2-3" size.

(edited)

Fish List

Already in Tank:

1 Firefish

1 Spotted Cardinalfish

Tentative Future Additions:

Clownfish

1 Ocellaris Clownfish, Male

1 Ocellaris Clownfish, Female

Angelfish

1 Bellus Angelfish, Female

Anthias

1 Male Lyretail Anthias

3 Female Lyretail Anthias

Blennies

1 Midas Blenny

Butterflyfish

1 Copperband Butterflyfish

Cardinalfish

1 Banggai Cardinalfish

Dragonets

1 Green Mandarin

Rabbitfish

1 Foxface Rabbitfish

Tangs

1 Blue Hippo Tang, Small

1 Yellow Tang, Small

Triggerfish

1 Blue Throat Triggerfish, Male

Wrasse

1 Cleaner Common Wrasse

1 McCosker's Flasher Wrasse

1 Melanurus Wrasse

*20 fish total.

I like having many different species in the same tank. I could also see a species-specific tank being pretty cool too (like a wrasse tank). But for now we'll try a nice mix and see how it works.

Edited by Ryan S

Oh, and dont add them all at once.!

Won't be repeating that mistake, that's for sure! Will also be QTing everything this go around as well.

(edited)

Ryan... That would be completely overstocked imo. Too many BIG fish.

Those 4 tangs will get large, the buttefly and bellus are good size fish, and full grown anthias are pretty decent size. That is 12 med/large fish.

I would cut that list WAY back if I were you. Even adding one a month in two years you would have a difficult time maintaining low nitrates.

Also, removing a blenny to add a Blue Throat... That is not a good idea.

Edited by BowieReefer84

Ryan... That would be completely overstocked imo. Too many BIG fish.

Those 4 tangs will get large, the buttefly and bellus are good size fish, and full grown anthias are pretty decent size. That is 12 med/large fish.

I would cut that list WAY back if I were you. Even adding one a month in two years you would have a difficult time maintaining low nitrates.

Also, removing a blenny to add a Blue Throat... That is not a good idea.

I modified it. Down to 22 now. Only 2 tangs, and 4 anthias vs 6. What's wrong with a blue throat? Every website I can find says they are reef safe...

I'd add the four tangs two at a time, 1 week apart. Don't leave too much time for any to become too comfortable and territorial. My approach would be to add the pbt & hippo the first week, and the yellow & sailfin the second. This introduces them in pairs matched by shape and aggression, hopefully, to keep either from having the chance to become too territorial.

Don't forget, some of these fish can grow pretty large and can require a lot of feeding with waste and elevated nutrients to follow.

(edited)

how many fish do you think is not "too many" for a 150g tank?

I would do:

3 tangs (whatever you want)

3 anthia (m/2f)

1 bangai

2 clowns

1 jawfish

3 wrasse

1 copperband

That wouldn't be too many imo plus the two already in the tank.

Bluethroats may go after small fish. They won't eat coral, but they will eat inverts or small fish maybe

Edited by BowieReefer84

Three is not too many. Just kidding.

Depends a lot on what you're trying to do, Ryan. If it's a fish only tank, you might take some pleasure in trying to create a tank that's geographically consistent. For example, all Red Sea fish, or Indonesian fish. Maybe fish from the coast of Java. Right now, you've got a mix from all over. That's fine, but there are twists that could make this more interesting....

Fish only means you can probably run with lower salinity and tolerate higher nutrients.

If you're building an SPS reef, a smaller number of fish is probably advised. Maybe 14-15 average sized (4") fish?

Alright, let me get the list down to 20 and see what it looks like. Thank you all for your help on this. I plan on sending Vince a "final" list at some point in the near future and he is going to start ordering them for me over time (1 or 2 at a time, in the best order for adding them to the tank).

Yea, my tank is only 35gal less than yours with a better swimming lane (55" long), and I am shooting for 7 fish to put things in perspective. Granted, they are larger but still... I would rather have 7 healthy FAT fish than see struggling fish. Plus at the end of the day you won't have to do as many water changes etc, which makes life easier.

Already in Tank:

1 Firefish

1 Spotted Cardinalfish

Future Additions:

Clownfish

Angelfish

Anthias

1 Male Lyretail Anthias

Blennies

1 Midas Blenny

Butterflyfish

Dragonets

1 Green Mandarin

Tangs

1 Yellow Tang, Small

Triggerfish

Wrasse

1 Cleaner Common Wrasse

1 McCosker's Flasher Wrasse

Here is a list of 16...?

(edited)

Awesome. Assuming the rest chime in and think it's good as well, what order should these be added? No more than 2 at a time (except for the anthias). 1 at a time is fine as well. I assume the list should be least aggressive/hardiest first, and the most aggressive/difficult last? (Green Mandarin is automatically last so my tank has plenty of time for copepod population).

1 Cleaner Common Wrasse

1 McCosker's Flasher Wrasse, Male

1 Midas Blenny

1 Male Lyretail Anthias

1 Yellow Tang, Small

1 Green Mandarin

Edited by Ryan S

If youre only going to keep one tang, why not get something more exotic than a yellow.? I have a yellow mimic and it looks awesome, its begining to transition into its adult colors... Its all in personal choice, and this is your tank and not mine. Why not go with the PBT or sailfin?

Other than that I think your list is ok. I find peoples fish lists to be interesting.? Do these particular fish really "do it" for you.? Personally, Ive been very selective in my fish, and have tried to keep fish I think are some what less common and very attractive. What motivates your list Ryan.?

(edited)

If youre only going to keep one tang, why not get something more exotic than a yellow.? I have a yellow mimic and it looks awesome, its begining to transition into its adult colors... Its all in personal choice, and this is your tank and not mine. Why not go with the PBT or sailfin?

Other than that I think your list is ok. I find peoples fish lists to be interesting.? Do these particular fish really "do it" for you.? Personally, Ive been very selective in my fish, and have tried to keep fish I think are some what less common and very attractive. What motivates your list Ryan.?

Good point on the tang. Would it be my #1 choice of all tangs... I have to think about that. It would be b/w him and the powder blue I think.

Here is my "philosophy":

1. I want a tank with very colorful fish (no boring colors like brown). A red fish, a yellow fish, a blue fish, etc. I am hoping this "rainbow" of fish will look awesome with a "rainbow" of SPS corals.

2. I want fish that are "everywhere" in the tank. That is, some that hang out on the sand bed, some that hang out in the middle of the tank, some that hang out swimming near the top, etc.

3. I want fish with personalities that are fun to watch. No boring fish. Fish that come to the glass when they see me or watch me when they see me, fish that school, fish that are constantly grazing, etc.

4. I want different species of fish, such that, when you look at the tank, you see a contrast among them. For example, seeing the trigger next to a school of anthias next to a copperband butterfly next to a green mandarin.

Do you think this list accomplishes that? Would anyone change something or make a substitution? Should I swap the yellow tang for a powder blue tang?

The Tentative "Final" List

1 Firefish

1 Spotted Cardinalfish

1 Cleaner Common Wrasse

1 McCosker's Flasher Wrasse, Male

1 Midas Blenny

1 Male Lyretail Anthias