Ryan's 150g Marineland Deep Dimension!

Ryan S

You wont duplicate his success because you dont have the same tank/system. Not that you wont have your own success, but you cant expect it to be the same just because of your lights. Your tank is still VERY young.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris - the canopy is too shallow for photo cannons. Plus they spotlight too much for my liking, but they are definitely awesome and powerful LED lights, no doubt about that.

I think what I am going to do is take a new FTS this weekend, once I place the new SPS frags everywhere. Then leave it alone for 3 months. And then take another FTS to compare. This guy had some great results for 3 months with radions. I want to see if I can duplicate his success or not:

fulldec-mar.jpg

Sounds like a good plan. I actually dont get any spotlighting. I know it looks like that in pics but my camera phone takes it that way. Your welcome to come by and check them out if your ever interested in seeing what they do. I am not a fan of canopys so thats why they work for me.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^biggrin.gif see above !!!!!!! Patience grasshopper ! I thought I was impatient !! You make me look good ! We all want instant results, it's just not going to happen in this hobby !

I think what I am going to do is take a new FTS this weekend, once I place the new SPS frags everywhere. Then leave it alone for 3 months. And then take another FTS to compare. This guy had some great results for 3 months with radions. I want to see if I can duplicate his success or not:

I think we've had a breakthrough, folks.

I nominate this thread to be a sticky! It's got everything a new reefer needs to read about:

- initial excitement with plans to proceed slowly and deliberately

- Addition of livestock

- Over-addition of livestock

- Bad things that happen with rapid over-adition of livestock

- Denial and despair

- Gradual rebirth of tank

- Back and forth struggle to ignore impulses to do more/faster

And most importantly, it

I nominate this thread to be a sticky! It's got everything a new reefer needs to read about:

- Addition of livestock

- Denial and despair

And most importantly, it's got the WAMAS members cheering and jeering along the entire way!

What thread could better exemplify the reefing experience and WAMAS?!

+1.. I almost look forward to seeing what Ryans up to each day.! Thanks for the amusement.

- Addition of livestock

- Denial and despair

And most importantly, it

Ryan, no worries bruh; they are only trying to help you out. I'm sure you've heard this a thousand times already but it really is true... the only thing in this hobby that happens fast is problems. and every time you have problems you have to cough up $$ in either losses or something new. btw your lights are awesome, just have to set them up right and let them work. BTW I just purchased a Radion for my tank so in 3-4 months I post some before and after pics.... good luck broski!

^^ agreed!!! I think the best strategy now is to set the tank up and DO NOT TOUCH it for at least couple of months!!! Believe it or not, nothing works better than good husbandry in this hobby. I leave "magical additives" and my "magical red shoes" that the witch gave me outside my apartment when it comes to my little reef.

Nothing happens fast in this hobby! I think we should put this sentence up as a welcome note/reminder on the login page of WAMAS.

+1.. I almost look forward to seeing what Ryans up to each day.! Thanks for the amusement.

...It's better than a reality TV show!!!

Seriously, though, Ryan you have an awesome setup. Just feed the fish/corals you have now, do your water changes, test your favorite 4-5 things (limit it to that) and other than that... Hands off!

I think what I am going to do is take a new FTS this weekend, once I place the new SPS frags everywhere. Then leave it alone for 3 months.

Who is taking the bets?? LOL Sorry Ryan had to jump on the wagonlaugh.gif

Seriously though good luck with the radions.

Here is Ryan over the past three months:

clap.gif

biggrin.gif

mellow.gif

blush.gif

unsure.gif

sad.gif

angry.gif

cry.gif

Sorry again as this made me laugh pretty hard.

(edited)

I wonder how much of my nuisance algae is due to leeching from the BRS pukani rock or the cycling process, or how much is from the green and/or red LEDs in the radions? I found this posted on RC today:

"I have a client with a couple of Radion's (really amazing fixtures btw!). We liked the simplicity of Natural mode but ended up going with Artificial to tone down the red and green LED's -- they were making her nuisance algae grow like mad."

I am currently running the 5 radion color channels at 100% each (which is 12k):

8x Cree XP-G Cool White LEDs run at 5W each

8x Cree XP-E Blue LEDs run at 3W each

10x Cree XP-E Royal Blue LEDs run at 3W each

4x Cree XP-E Green LEDs run at 3W each

4x Osram Oslon SSL Hyper Red LEDs run at 3W each

Ecotech has said they tested the red and green and they don't cause nuisance algae growth, but are important for coral growth and for a better viewing experience. Should I turn them down (25%? 50%?) or off entirely? What do you guys think?

Edited by Ryan S

Usually the light just aggrevates an existing issue. Let your lights work as-is.

Your tank is new; algae is to be expected. It occurs in succession, usually a couple of different colors of diatom (light brown, darker brown, red), then(sometimes) cyano, then green hair algae, and then coraline/macro growth. Actually this succession is something that I look for in new tanks since it keys me in to various changes that have occured and lets me know things are ready for the next step. Usually, I don't add anything living to the tank until the green algae shows up, and then it's CUC and maybe an herbivore fish.

So the algae is normal right now, it will pass in time. Do you currently have snails/crabs in the tank?

Leave the LEDs as is.

I had rock that was cured for 2 months before I set my tank up and still had hair algae, cyno and bryopsis algae. All standard and all went away for the 3 month mark of the tank being setup. All normal.

What don't you add some live rock from a well establish tank and put it in the middle of your rock scape. You can remove it later but it will help seed things and it can't hurt to have some extra live rock in there for a while.

What about your sump? Add some live rock in there.

Just checking on the "Ryans reef tank reality show" .!!!

Control the urges, just leave it alone. I agree with the all the other reasons why you have algae.

Lol!!! Tagging along.

Can we at least get some updated pics?

Pics!Pics!Pics!happy.gif

So you all can laugh at how much hair algae and cyano has taken over the tank? I don't think so.