Started running phosban corals closing

MBVette

I just set up a phosban reactor this afternoon; and within a half hour of it running my sinularia is completly closed up and I can see others closed just a little bit more. In the 3 years I have had that sinularia I have never seen it close like this with the lights on; is this something I should worry about or will it open back once it gets used to the phosban?

Thanks

If you ran water from the reactor to a bucket until the water ran clear and you used the correct dose, they should open back up.

Edited by Buucca

how much is the phosban media tumbling? If it tumbles too vigorously it can produce very fine particles which will end up in the water column.

Two things come to mind...

1-the gfo was not rinsed well/flow is too high through the reactor and some of the fines are circulating though the tank and irritating the coral.

2-flow Is too high through the reactor quickly dropping the phosphate level and or the alk level.

In any case I would temporaroly take the reactor offline. Check alk and ph levels. Maybe run filter floss if you think it's do to fines - and wait until

Corals look better. Then reintroduce slowly...

You have to measure phosban and rinse very well. It should be on a very slow tumble in your reactor. Look it up on youtube to get an idea of how fast/slow it should run.

I throw phosban/gfo in a media bag and throw it in a hi flow area of the sump and it does what it does.

Corals close up from time to time.

sinularia is super hardy- you can throw it on the ground and put it right back in the tank and it'll keep growing.

I agree with previous posters......that said,I would be careful with some chemical media.....I know reefers with really nice tanks that lost a lot of livestock from a massive dose of phosphate remover. I think the large dose dropped the alk and hence the pH causing a quick demise of his SPS. I always half what the recommended dose amount is for a given volume. No need to rush to get your phosphates down......you are better off changing the media more often and slowly drop the levels in the tank IMO.

cheers,

Darren

Zyg, are you saying i don't really need phosban and gfo in a couple reactors? that would be cool.

I use reactors in some instances where I have the room, additional electrical outlets and available temp fluctuation. (more pumps equals more heat)

In places where I don't have the luxury of excess heat, outlets, or tight spaces, I simply put GFO or carbon in a mesh bag and throw them into high flow areas of the sump.

I also agree with previous posters about the "fines" of GFO. It seems you can rinse GFO forever and some particulates always filter out. I've turned the water orange before and also made skimmers overflow with these particulates.

Edited by zygote2k

You have to measure phosban and rinse very well. It should be on a very slow tumble in your reactor. Look it up on youtube to get an idea of how fast/slow it should run.

I looked at the videos and it seems as I have the tumbling right; I think I might not have cleaned the phosban enough; I rinsed it out but I think there was still a little bit of that reddish cloud that came out. But all is well at this point, so I think I am good.