Photo ID Hitchhiker please

Annap729

aiptasia is my guess.

Haha well guess what I just found..

(I have no idea which is why I'm asking)...

Two things...clear snail looking shell on lower right and then the pink, er, elephant top left. The rock is currently out of tank and I'm wondering what's next. Is he going to move?45fa0b9e-4077-a417.jpg

why is there a desire to kill critters found on the rocks? 99.9% of anything you're getting on your rock is beneficial to a degree. even things like asterinas are fine to some extent. bristleworms are an important part of the aquarium ecosystem. think of them as the vultures that eat the dead things.

Aww, poor little guy!

That's one of the good ones :( They're not quite safe to touch, but if you don't have allergic reactions to things you can't really feel their sting. A quick dip in vinegar will dissolve any bristles on your finger. These guys only eat detritus and are great as clean up critters.

Didn't put it back.

I was experimenting and I did see that they can be good after I gave him a quick spray. I don't want to kill every critter in my tank-biodiversity is what I'd like. I'm not partial to being stung, if I'm being honest. That being said, I will committ to the club that I will not murder any in the future if they're just detritivores (man, iPhone had a heck of a time with that word- it wanted to write Detroit wh*res :).

Whats the clear snail? Oh the rock was actually rubble in my temporary tank. I'd also like asterinas Because I plan on adding a harlequin pair. Anyone have any? :)

Edited by Annap729

Whats the clear snail? Oh the rock was actually rubble in my temporary tank. I'd also like asterinas Because I plan on adding a harlequin pair. Anyone have any? smile.gif

Are you going to culture starfish to feed them.?

Sorry i meant does anyone have any asterinas, not shrimp. Ive done a fair bit of reading on them and was hoping I could get ten established in my reef and then add shrimp down the road, sort of a process. I'm having a tough (expensive) time with my mandarin only eating tigger pods, and dont want to make same mistake with a pair of harlequins. So yes, if by culture u mean add some to my display tank and see if they multiply, then yes. I think I read they sometimes will eat arms of the chocolate chip star so I guess if push came to shove Id do that but I want to go the more natural route-no rush on the shrimp.

Edited by Annap729

I had an outbreak of Asterina starfish in my tank, and added a single harlequin. Let's just say I am not seeing any asterina's, and it has only been a few months maybe. I plan on catching it, and taking it back to the store soon.

If you don't have any asterina, do NOT add any on purpose. Get a fire shrimp. They are way cooler.

Honestly, stick to some species that dont require such diffucult means of feeding. Yes, you can use Choc chip starfish arms, and asterinas will multiply in your tank.. Wait til your tank is much older before jumping into such needy creatures.. Personally I dont want ANY asterinas in my tank, nevermind trying to get them to multiply. They can and will eat corals, and can become problematic.

Fire shrimp, sexxy shrimp, a group of cleaner shrimp... Lots of options. The harlequins are cool, but small, and not always so out in the open.. I agree with mike, I think Fire shrimp are awesome, and you can keep groups of them together and not have to harvest there food..

Fire shrimp, sexxy shrimp, a group of cleaner shrimp... Lots of options. The harlequins are cool, but small, and not always so out in the open.. I agree with mike, I think Fire shrimp are awesome, and you can keep groups of them together and not have to harvest there food..

And they will provide food to your other tankmates by spawning every few weeks...

Now your rock is a door stop, not for reef use.

Why? Because there is ammonia in it? Fish tanks are giant ammonia processing machines. A little ammonia isn't going to hurt it. A lot might cause problems, but eventually it will be processed and usable again. Worst case, let it soak in saltwater for a while and then put it back. in.

I was wondering this as well, but it's the other chemicals in it - Isopropanol, Butoxethanol, and Ethylene. The last two more so.