Reducing nitrates in a new tank

Annap729

I have a question regarding generally cycling a tank. My nitrates are really high right now in my new 125 w 40g sump and 40g fuge. I'm guessing because of the 100 lbs of sand I added. Generally speaking, I'm wondering if someone added a LARGE quantity of macro-say, a 5 gallon worth - would that quickly get rid of the nitrates? Second part of that question is how fast does the macro consume the nitrates? And are all macro created relatively equal in nitrate consumption? I have some red galaxaura now in a little tank that's running.

Lastly, I have about 50 lbs of established rubble and i'm wondering if adding that PLUS the live sand PLUS some BIOZYME i bought would help expedite the cycling. Id like to avoid the algae bloom, etc.

How high are your nitrates? Perhaps an early water change would help?

I doubt there is any reliable information available on how quickly nitrates are reduced by any of the methods you mention. They may all work, but no one will really know how effective they'll be for you because it's never been measured and your tank is different.

If you have a good protein skimmer try using "VGV". I had nitrate and nitrite issues then started using Biodigest and "VGV" Vodka, Glucose "Dextrose" and Vinegar and now my readings are all at zero. Its been over a year now and its worked great. No red slime, no spikes. I have consistent readings and stable water conditions. Hope that helps. You should be able to look up VGV recipes online. Coral Magazine had a great article on this.

When I set up my biocube about 4 months ago. I used a combination of microbacter and seachem stability. I still use them once weekly, but the results have been great.

The only have to clean my glass once a week, and it is so minimal.

Patience and time... You can try all sorts of gadgets and chemicals etc, but you really just need to wait it out. The more you mess with it, and "try" to fix it, odds are your making it worse and throwing off any balance there may have been... This hobby is all about patience, this is not an instant gratification hobby.. Sorry, but it is what it is..

My skimmer is average...older turboflotor 1000.

Get a good skimmer and throw the Turdfloater in the trash. I've recently taken all of the Turdfloaters that we used and switched them to AVAST skimmers. The Turdfloaters are great for small tanks under 55g, but are worthless on bigger tanks unless you had more than 1.

Hahahaha yah I figured an upgrade is in my future. Thought I wasn't going to be ready for a skimmer until I had a bioload though.

Trock,

Just to be clear-I have plenty of patience. These are questions for learning, and I think reasonable questions. The macro algae question for instance. And i would think with the new natural products that have a better bacteria cocktail might just help move things along. Don't misinterpret my questions for a lack of patience. I've waited almost a year just to get to this point and I just filled the system three weeks ago. I know that might sound rude but that's not my tone. It's more reassuring :)

Not rude at all. I'm just not a big believer in products to accomplished natural things. I think lots of macros are great, and I support that idea, but it wont happen quickly. I am a minimalist Guy when it com's to that stuff. I use carbon, Skimmer and macros, and have had plenty of success. Years ago I was all about chemicals and new fancy additives, then I realized 90% of it was a waste of time and money. You can accomplish the same thing with more natural means of filtration. As for the patience, I know and understand you've been working on it for a while, I just don't think trying to fine the instant cure (lots of chemical products etc ) is the best thing for your system. Let it go through it's naturally occurring phases. I also think its good of you to ask the questions and take advantage of all the great resources in this club.

is it feasible that a huge addition of macro will quickly reduce nitrates?

The macro itself doesn't do much for processing nutrients. The idea is that as it grows, it takes them up and then when you prune the macro, you get the nutrients out. Other than that a larger clump might grow a little quicker, adding a bunch won't help. I used to prune mine down to the size of a softball when I was running a 20H fuge and it would fill the tank in a week or two. It did a terrific job maintaining nutrients on a 40g tank, but to rely on it to noticeably affect water quality, you need the fuge to be much bigger than most are.

Totally agree-club is awesome. I guess the natural bacteria part is what I wanted to do more than anything; I don't want to make "fish soup" with lots of chemicals either.

I was hoping with my transplanted sand and 100 gallons from a member's long-running tank breakdown that I wasn't starting as new as many do.

What I'm gathering is that I can add some nitrate consuming bacteria to somewhat shorten the cycle, but need to skim them out once they've consumed it.

I am also a natural fan, and put a 40 gallon fuge down below so that I can take advantage of all that natural denitrification provides. It seems like as reefkeepers chemicals are necessary to keep trace minerals and kalk alk mag etc on par, but when it comes to denitrifying, most want to let it run it's course.

I won't be adding anything until that tank is below 5ppm, this is for sure. I do not want to kill anything. In fact that makes me ask another question. Could I try to start a pod population? That would be neat if I could grow the tank full of pods first and then add other inhabitants. Is that incredibly uncommon?

Thanks hypertech! Man that's so interesting that macro doesn't really consume nitrates on a large scale. I had this image of loading it w a 5 gallon bucket full of algae and in two weeks the nitrates go from 60 to 5.

Now my next call is do I keep all my sand in my fuge and go bb or do I put it up top in my DT!?! Right now all the sand is in the fuge. Maybe just a teeny bit in the dt?

Thanks hypertech! Man that's so interesting that macro doesn't really consume nitrates on a large scale. I had this image of loading it w a 5 gallon bucket full of algae and in two weeks the nitrates go from 60 to 5.

I think the confusion is that the purpose of the macro isn't to process nutrients in a way like the bacteria in the live rock. Its purpose is to absorb them and trap them. So, adding a bunch doesn't really help. You want to grow a bunch and then remove it. If you have a 40B fuge, this very well could be effective in your tank.

Sand is fine in either or both. I am not using sand with my macros now, but have in the past. I find it easier to keep the sump clean with no sand. Unless you are going with a DSB then I dont think its really benefitting a lot. Unless your tank is BB, then you may want sand in the fuge, but im not certain on it.

I'll upload a pic-3-chambered sump is separate from fuge. Sump is 23g of water and fuge is like 35, but its own container.

My sand in fuge will be 4-6 inches.

How does anaerobic bacteria in a DSB denitrify a volume of water when there seems to be no movement? Like, how does it access all the nitrates?

I was thinking of doing a small bit of sand in the 125 just for aesthetics but havent decided.

I'll look into the pulsing Xenia! If anyone has any let me know.

Edited by Annap729

by the way i tested my ammonia and I'm at zero, but my nitrites are 5.0 or whatever SUPER purple is :).

this is on my newly cycling tank.

Edited by Annap729

Could I try to start a pod population? That would be neat if I could grow the tank full of pods first and then add other inhabitants. Is that incredibly uncommon?

This is an excellent approach, and it's less commonly seen because most folks start adding fish before the pod population can really take off.

calling all pods..calling all pods....anyone coming by Annapolis on their way to the Starboard closing at the beach this weekend--I'd love some PODS for my new tank--I need to build it up before I add fish and inverts etc. :).... Even though I live in Annapolis, I will be in the Montgomery county area over the next couple days-if you can catch some, i'll take whatever's available. I need biodiversity! :) I have a friend in Arlington that can pick up some from whoever, and she travels all over NoVa for work. PM me.

How does it work--can someone just scoop up a big cup of them like baby brine shrimp? Does anyone on here breed them specifically so I can seed my tanks? I'm ready to make it happen :)