Size of tank for large tang...

lanman

Would a full-sized Hippo Tang (maybe 8-10") that has grown up in a 3' x 5' 240-gallon tank be happy in a 120? Very peaceful, contented fish by nature - but he cruises the entire tank like he owns it. Okay - he does own it...

Any ideas?

bob

Bob - why risk it? A tang that big in a 4' tank would probably end up stressed out and croaking on you. I would sell him to someone with a huge tank and buy a smaller one that would have a little more swimming room. Just a thought.

or just get a bigger tank for your favorite fish....if your dog outgrew its bed would you buy it a bigger on :biggrin:

haha ive seen very large tangs be happy in smaller tanks but most of them have been in 6 foot tanks so they get a chance to cruise around....im sure it could be done if you kept him fed and happy but i would think a longer tank would do much better for him

or go for a 4x4 cubish tank or even better a 6x6...if only it were that easy

I'll probably get flamed, but not necessarily. For the past year I've every single time I've gone to Rick's Fish and pets in Frederick, they have a 10" or so tang in a 75 or 90g tank full of live rock. He hasn't croaked yet. :)

A beautiful 10" tang that is truly happy in the endless waters of the ocean... Probably doesn't belong in any small tank... Thus, my recommendation is to get a bigger tank Bob! How about 700g! You could go with a tank that's 8 feet long, 4 feet wide, and 3 feet deep! Yay! :) :clap:

I wouldn't do it. Do what I did with my clowns - don't sell it, get a foster parent for it. That way you always know where it is and how it is living, and you know it didn't get shuffled around to some stranger who did who-knows-what to it or possibly killed it.

This is an endless debate over at RC, especially with hippos. All of the Team RC members spent a few months gathering information and personal experience to put together a tank size recommendation list for surgeonfishes. http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1946007 The issue with hippos is they are long distance swimmers that are constantly cruising the reef and grazing. The longer the tank, the better.

Edited by Sugar Magnolia

This is an endless debate over at RC, especially with hippos. All of the Team RC members spent a few months gathering information and personal experience to put together a tank size recommendation list for surgeonfishes. http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1946007 The issue with hippos is they are long distance swimmers that are constantly cruising the reef and grazing. The longer the tank, the better.

And certain folks wanted to suggest tangs could go in 40g breeders. tisk tisk. :)

I would be that certain folk, as recommended here. I did it because I don't buy into the rhetoric of subjective opinions in this hobby that are deeply entrenched and narrowly scoped, yet enforced as brutally possible when behind a keyboard on some sites. And I stand behind my recommendation.

I have read both sides of the "debate," done significant research on my own, combined that with 20+ years of my own reef keeping experience and used my own head to come to a conclusion. I always advocate for the best possible habitat we can provide in captivity, but I don't buy into unsubstatiated opinions. Show me new, objective and measurable evidence and I will re-evaluate my position.

I would be that certain folk, as recommended here. I did it because I don't buy into the rhetoric of subjective opinions in this hobby that are deeply entrenched and narrowly scoped, yet enforced as brutally possible when behind a keyboard on some sites. And I stand behind my recommendation.

I have read both sides of the "debate," done significant research on my own, combined that with 20+ years of my own reef keeping experience and used my own head to come to a conclusion. I always advocate for the best possible habitat we can provide in captivity, but I don't buy into unsubstatiated opinions. Show me new, objective and measurable evidence and I will re-evaluate my position.

You are such a trouble maker lol.

Hold on. I need to pull out the heavy artillery...