Prime's 75 gallon build

the fallow time lets the ich run its life course.. without being able to be on/in a fish it cannot continue to live without a life source....it can live on the shells but it will die within the fallow time since there is no way for it to proliferate...

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put the fish in a 4-5 min RODI dip, paying attention to them zonking out on their side. This will burst and help clear the gills so he can at least breathe. Then, put them in QT. personally I am keeping them in 1.015 and copper. Get a copper test kit and keep the copper where it needs to be-consistent wanted changes are important. I also run a UV sterilizer with the recommended size pump as insurance. Big UV, little tank. I just brought three back from the dead this way so it's working for me.

Don't do hypo and copper. Copper and other medications do not work as directed in lower salinity. DO NOT medicate in hyposalinity.

Copper is not very fun for your fish, and there are certain fish that should not be treated with it. Please research carefully before using copper, it can be a very harsh treatment for ich.

Edit: You need to maintain 1.008-9. Not lower or higher. Higher will not get rid of the ich, and lower will doom your fish.

This is one of many sites I used when I was treating http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/23131-hyposalinity-treatment-process.html

Hope this helps.

Edited by YiatzOfEden

the fallow time lets the ich run its life course.. without being able to be on/in a fish it cannot continue to live without a life source....it can live on the shells but it will die within the fallow time since there is no way for it to proliferate...

I'm assuming I still have to feed the tank while its fallow to help feed the snails?? Dont want them dying off and causing ammonia spikes.

Put the fish in a 4-5 min RODI dip, paying attention to them zonking out on their side. This will burst and help clear the gills so he can at least breathe. Then, put them in QT. personally I am keeping them in 1.015 and copper. Get a copper test kit and keep the copper where it needs to be-consistent wanted changes are important. I also run a UV sterilizer with the recommended size pump as insurance. Big UV, little tank. I just brought three back from the dead this way so it's working for me.

Immediately dip them though-that was what just brought these three back from the dead-they were on their side.

So you've got copper and hypo at the same time? Most likely will be picking up the UV Ryan and Fishie have.

Immediately is kinda hard atm.

From what I've read FW Dip goes like this:

1. Take sick fish

2. Put in fresh ro/di water for about 5 mins

3. put fish back into DT or QT.

Will this work for ich though? Since the parasites will jump off, but ich is usually buried under the skin.

Or does this at least give the fish a fighting chance?

Don't do hypo and copper. Copper and other medications do not work as directed in lower salinity. DO NOT medicate in hyposalinity.

Copper is not very fun for your fish, and there are fish that should not be treated with it. Please research carefully before using copper, it can be a very harsh treatment for ich.

CoralHind's post in my FS thread said I don't need to wait for the tank the cycle and I can rely on WC's. If that's the case, I'd rather do the hypo than copper as I've read its less stressful on the fish.

A fw dip will only make them feel better, and not do much for treating ich. Copper is poisoning the ich, and therefore poisoning your fish in the process. I don't think many people realize this, and how hard it can be on your fish. Hypo is the least stressful on the fish, but pretty difficult to maintain. I recommend testing twice a day.

+1 to what CoralHind said.

Just use the water that they are used to to add to the qt, and then lower the salinity over 48 hours. Make sure you keep up on water changes and testing. PH was hard for me to maintain, but I added an air stone and that kept it from going too low.

Remember to never raise salinity fast. A dip is different, but when in hypo do not raise more than 0.003 per day when the treatment is done. I use this rule for bringing fish home as well.

Edited by YiatzOfEden

Just came home. BW clownfish is probably on its last leg. Breathing heavily. Swimming on his side.

It almost looks like he his colors are faded. Almost looks like (probably is from google pictures) velvet.

cry.gif

The orange clown seems fine and dandy. Is there anyway to tell if he has velvet? Is a copper treatment the only way to kill off velvet or will a hypo do they same?

Just trying to see if I need to have 2 QT tanks or 1 is enough.

Hypo can't treat velvet. I'm sorry about your fish.sad.gif

Just a quick search looks like fw dips might help, and possibly formalin. I have no experience with velvet though.

Since everything except the female clown is dead, is there anything wrong with rearranging rock / moving or adding sand while I leave the tank fallow for 12 weeks?

The female clown will be going into QT and the only thing left will be snails.

Still not sure if I need 2 QT or 1? I guess my main concern is using copper. As I found out hypo salinity does nothing for velvet while copper does.

Does copper cure pretty much any fish disease? I'd rather not use copper because it stresses the fish but if its the end all be all of medicine then I will only have one QT that I will use copper to treat everything.

Since everything except the female clown is dead, is there anything wrong with rearranging rock / moving or adding sand while I leave the tank fallow for 12 weeks?

The female clown will be going into QT and the only thing left will be snails.

Still not sure if I need 2 QT or 1? I guess my main concern is using copper. As I found out hypo salinity does nothing for velvet while copper does.

Does copper cure pretty much any fish disease? I'd rather not use copper because it stresses the fish but if its the end all be all of medicine then I will only have one QT that I will use copper to treat everything.

I would give the clown away to someone with a QT. Wait 12 weeks. Restart the process again. You can move rocks/sand during the 12 week period all you want.

• 1 month later...
(edited)

Was walking by the tank today when I noticed the pistol shrimp coming out from under a rock....I was shocked! I hadn't seen this thing since March 15th!!!!

Hes gotten so big!

This morning I noticed one of my nerite snails laying on its back and what I assumed was dead...I had to rush out the door for work so I wasn't able to fish it out. He was still in the same position when I came home, however one of the dwarf cerith snails happened to be climbing over him when all of a sudden the nerite sucked him in...shell and all...is this normal?? for the snail to play possum or even eat other snail?? does it mean I need to feed the tank more??

Edited by .OptimusPrime.

• 5 weeks later...

So the DT has now been fallow for 2 months now. Is it safe to say it's ich free?

I plan on getting the eel from the DD in about a few days http://www.liveaquar...3+3&ddid=157361

I plan on restocking what fish I had (2xclowns, blue dot jawfish, white cheeked tang, NO mandarins this time or at least not yet) and would hate for the eel to eat them which it shouldn't be able to eat as its supposed to have a very small mouth) but you never know.

Should the eel be the first thing added back into the tank or one of the last things??

• 3 weeks later...

So its been about a week and the eel is still aliveclap.gif

Fed it 2 chunks of raw shrimp on Saturday the 14th before I left for the beach for a week.

It also ate 2 chunks on Wednesday and 2 more when I came back last night. So I'm guessing he is healthy. Tiny as can be and only likes to stick his nose out of the little caves hes made which makes it really difficult to spot him. Hasn't gone to the PVC structure yet, hopefully he will once he has grown. Hasn't touched my snails.......yet....not that I can tell since I have so many, so I guess all is well.

Too hard to take a picture or video of feeding for now. He won't stay out long enough and snatches the bait rather quickly.

Time to set up the QT and get some fish!

Came home to a power dead tank. Apparently something happened between 8 and 4pm when I was out and tripped the GFCI outlet.

The skimmer cup was overflown to the top. It was a quarter of the way full when I last checked probably Monday night. The ATO res. is bone dry so that dropped 5G of fresh water into the system. The drain pain around the tank had about an inch of standing water.

Have 20G mixing now for a water change. All the snails seem to be alive and kicking. Have yet to find/see the eel.

Just when things were starting to look up....cry.gif

• 3 weeks later...

The eel has been doing great for almost a month now. Eats 2 chunks of shrimp every other day. Hides all day and is leaving my snails alone.

Here is a pic of the clowns I picked up last week. They are currently in the QT. The black one is from Quantum Reefs:

johTC.jpg

The clowns are eat of my hand and are showing no signs of any disease. All parameters look good.

If they continue like this for another week is it safe to put them in the tank or still too soon ?? (Would be 2 weeks of observation)

Should I treat them with prazi and copper regardless of whether or not I see spots??