Prime's 75 gallon build

So I think I'm finally ready for fish, all parameters look like their in check. Did a water changed and brought the nitrAtes down to about 5-10ppm. No Ammonia spikes, no NitrIte.

I should be picking up a pair of clowns on Sunday to startclap.gifHad a few questions though:

1. Since I have Fish only how much light (hour wise) will they require? Since I have no coral, does the standard 10-12hrs rule apply? Should I be doing a light cycle between my blues and day lights?

2. If both fish come from same place, can I acclimate them both in the same bucket or should I do them separately?

3. Anything I should be on the look out for in terms of care, or anything else or than the norm??

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I think I'm finally ready for fish, all parameters look like their in check. Did a water changed and brought the nitrAtes down to about 5-10ppm. No Ammonia spikes, no NitrIte.

I should be picking up a pair of clowns on Sunday to startclap.gifHad a few questions though:

1. Since I have Fish only how much light (hour wise) will they require? Since I have no coral, does the standard 10-12hrs rule apply? Should I be doing a light cycle between my blues and day lights?

I never ran lights anywhere near 10-12 hours. With both halides and led's I did 6.1/2 hours max. With fish only you could do 4-5 hours no problem, or even less if you are so inclined.

You'll be swimming in algae city with 10-12 hours. I would just turn them on in the evening when you're home.

As far as the clowns, they'll most likely come in the same bag so you can acclimate them together.

Picked up these two guys over the weekend (shot from left side of the tank):

XNKrK.jpg

They seem to stick together. The black one has gone exploring a bit(from one side of the tank to the other), but mostly both of them have stayed on the left hand corner/side of the tank underneath the powerhead. They stay on that one side hours on end and they seem like they are struggling to swim against the current.

Thought maybe it was too much flow so I turned off the power heads to see if that would make any difference. Nope. They stayed in the one spot/general area for hours.

They have yet to swim around the back of the tank or through any of the rock. When I woke up this morning they were still in the same corner...

Should I be concerned? or is this normal behavior since they are probably still nervous(do fish get nervous) / shocked / adapting to their new home?

Edited by .OptimusPrime.

Do they eat?

If so, give them time, think about the trip they have been through to arrive in their new home, and feed them a tiny amount a few times a day. IME, if they are eating, a bunch of very small feedings is a great way to make new fish feel at home.

I pinched them a few flakes this morning before I left and they seemed to nip at it, so I would say yes.

I figured feeding 2 times a day is enough. Once in the morning and once at night when I get back from work.

Would feeding 2x a everyday overfeed? Or is every other day good?

I figured its was just stress and their getting used to new home. But just wanted to double check.

They sure love the left side of the tank...

Everything seemed fine and normal since I got them, except for this morning...

Woke up to feed and noticed that they were swimming vertically up and down the corner. Didn't think anything of it, come back 5 minutes later to feed and notice they are both toward the middle of the tank and on the sandbed just kinda staying there, not really moving or anything. Not swimming. Kinda like you do at a pool and let the water carry you. Still upright, didn't note any heavy breathing.

Water parameters were all in check, with the exception of NitRate..test should between 20-40ppm. I know this is high. I plan on doing a 15G WC when I get home.

Turned off the pumps, crushed a few flakes, tossed them in and neither of them touched it they let it sink over their heads to the bottom...came back after 10 mins, and they were swimming around like normal. All lively and active...but still did not touch the food.

Turned the pumps back on and that sent the swirl of flakes around the tank and they were eating it like normal. I think they play a game with swirling of the food. They like to chase the flakes and pick at them while they go around. (I read the Fish Flakes thread and it seems other members fish do the same)

Is this normal clown behavior?? the part about them laying low and not swimming or eating?? I would say no, but after the food swirled they acted like normal...

Do fish get tired of swimming against the flow??

Edited by .OptimusPrime.

To be honest with you, I wouldn't know what a sleeping clown would look like...

The thought of them being asleep did cross my mind, but they were swimming up and down the corner of the tank and then 5 mins later they are both toward the middle of the tank and toward the bottom of the sand bed and sitting kinda idle..

So my black clown decided to play hide in seek inside the rock work while I had my back turned... he hid so well that he had me thinking he had jumped out or was down in the sump. He never even came out of the cave when I tapped on it.

Long story short, I tore apart my rock looking for the little guy, stirred up all this crud and sand...and redid my rock work...

tank is super cloudy and many stuff floating around...skimmer is going nuts...

Outside of a water change and runner the skimmer, is there anything I should be aware of???

I like that better. If you like it better you should try to avoid playing with it more (I know it is hard, but it's much better to let stuff be).

Also, I am a bit late getting back... but I feed 4-6x per day very small amounts (4 times with an autofeeder and 1-2 other times with a little frozen food). I would define overfeeding as more food than can be processed by your system into final byproducts, meaning that ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, or phosphate builds up as a result.

Also, I am a bit late getting back... but I feed 4-6x per day very small amounts (4 times with an autofeeder and 1-2 other times with a little frozen food).

Chad, which autofeeder do you use?

Ryan, I use the eheim that Jon talks about in his newsletter article this quarter. This one http://www.amazon.com/Eheim-Feed-Air-Fish-Feeder-Everyday/dp/B0002AQY8A, I like it (although I wish the portion control was a little better, I have it rigged between settings with a small piece of tape).

I'm starting to notice a diatom bloom on the right hand side of my tank on the rocks and on the sand...(didn't get a chance to snap a picture this morning)

I guess, I'm doing something right...

Should I wait before I get more coverage to order a CUC or go ahead and place one now?

I wanted to go with http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+43+3130&pcatid=3130 , but after emailing Sean at F&F, he mentioned they tend to be more brown than red and that lighting is what makes them seem red.

I've asked Sean to hold a Kole tang for me, but then saw this http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+43+391&pcatid=391. I know it says 125 gallons, but I can keep it for awhile until it gets too big or use it for an excuse to go bigger laugh.gif

Anyone have experience with this kind of tang or any other semi-aggressive tang? Will my clowns see any aggression or does it vary tang to tang?

What other stocking options do I have??

<br class="Apple-interchange-newline">

Whitecheeks only list at 8." Buying a 2-3" specimen would be fine in your 75 for a few years. I disagree with the above post about bristletooths being less aggressive. Many people have had rather mean kole tangs and other bristletooths. If its the only tang I dont think you will have any aggression issues at all.

I think you are better off going with a bristletooth tang in that small of a tank.. they are less aggressive than many others when in a smaller tank...

Yeah that's the only thing putting me off about the tang..the aggression issue...

Nice choice on tangs. I wouldnt mind one of those myself. I like thats a little different then what everyone has.

Yeah, I wanted something different outside of the normal yellow tang. You know like your cowfish(which is totally awesome)

Whitecheeks only list at 8." Buying a 2-3" specimen would be fine in your 75 for a few years. I disagree with the above post about bristletooths being less aggressive. Many people have had rather mean kole tangs and other bristletooths. If its the only tang I dont think you will have any aggression issues at all.

That's what I'm banking on, buying a small one and having it grow over a few years, hopefully by then I'll have a bigger set up tongue.gif

I plan to just have one tang, so if I end up choosing this one should be ok. I have also heard about some people having aggressive koles, just thought I would ask others opinions on the issue.

+1

I have an orange spot, does a great job at what he is suppose to do. Clean the sand, eat detritus, and clean up nusiance algae. He is real jerk when you try to add another tang or any fish shaped like a tang. I bought the kole from what I have read about them, being less aggressive, this fish didn't read the book unfortunately.

I just added a chocolate tang and so far so good, thier is still some sparring, but the Chocolate doesn't back down.

Some stuff I noticed on Friday (I assume its a diatom bloom):

Sandbed:

nemZa.jpg

gTThJ.jpg

Rockwork:

ln9iH.jpg

oagwK.jpg

Back of the tank:

VeEdM.jpg

Front Pane (this looks like whats on the sand bed, so I hope its still a diatom bloom and not something major.

ocy8p.jpg

zjfPv.jpg

Today, all that stuff that was on the rock and sand bed are almost all gone...is that normal for a diatom bloom? for it go away on its own?

Looks normal. Just about every tank I've ever setup goes through various algae blooms as it matures. I would think you could start to add clean up crew now if you haven't already - maybe wait until it gets a little more. Either way no rush. Now that algae is starting they should have something to munch on.