Prime's 75 gallon build

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lucky you didn't put them in the tank early. QT should be 8 weeks to allow the full life-cycle of a lot of these parasites. Have you thought of trying hypo-salinity instead of copper?

I thought about hypo after I posted. I may go the hypo route.

My only concern is I usually water change the QT with fresh made saltwater. Yesterday I used water from my DT (about 5 gallons worth) and now they have spots.

Is it possible the DT has ich? I left the DT fallow for more than 8 weeks, before I even added in the eel.

Or did the clowns have ich when I purchased them and are just showing the spots now?

• 4 weeks later...

So the clowns have been treated with copper at around .5ppm for about 3.5 weeks now, no spots seen at all.

Is it safe to say I can add them to the DT?

I managed to pick up a pair of helfrichi firefish from Steve from Quantum Reefs last week and meant to take a picture of them.

Remember to do it yesterday, but only ever saw one come out...I'm hoping the eel didn't get to the other one as they both usually come out together. I feed the eel everyday. I hope he wasn't extra hungry yesterday. Will check water parameters when I get home. I have a net top over my tank and did not seen any bodies carpet surfing, so I don't think he jumped. Also, have an overflow lid which he couldn't have jumped into.

A full ich cycle can take up to 12 weeks, and there is a stage of the cycle where no symptoms are exhibited... Since you actually saw signs, if it were me, I would wait a full 12.

So water parameters are in check.

Ammonia:0 ppm

Nitrate:5-10ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Phosphate:0ppm

pH: 8.0

I guess I will chalk the missing firefish to a victim of gettting eating by the eel. Unless, I am missing something?

• 1 month later...

Monthly Update:

Picked up a RBTA about two weeks ago. Dropped it in the tank and it hasn't moved since. I feed it everyday and it seems happy.

My b/w clownfish seems to have gotten an attitude towards me. Started about a week ago, nips me every time I put my hand in the tank. It doesn't hurt, but I keep having to shoo it away if I need to do something. It even attacks the feeding tongs I use for the anemone and eel as well as the magnet cleaner.

Should be picking up an extra helfrechi firefish with 2 skunk cleaners from quantum reefs in about two weeks. I also plan on getting another clown.

I do have a concern, the sand in the front of the tank is really dirty compared to other sections(see pics). Is there a reason for this? Lack of flow? Too many nutrients? or is this normal? I don't know if you can see it in the picture but there seems to be a smudge of red developing. I dont know if this is the start of cyano or something else. Is there anything I can do to try and remedy the situation?

FTS:

Aikox.jpg

RBTA:

ZSRBG.jpg

Clown:

xbD8N.jpg

Firefish:

wKd5t.jpg

Sandbed:

28a2v.jpg

kqc1S.jpg

• 2 months later...

Since everyone seems to be updating their threads for the holidays, I guess I'll jump on board.

Here is what Santa was generous enough to bring me:

9yQeW.jpg

Put an orange clown in the DT on Sunday after two weeks of QT. The b/w clown that has had free roam of the tank did not seem interested in the least. Fast forward to Monday and the two of them have been going at it inside the PVC opening for at least an hour. I believe the b/w clown turned out to be the victor/female because the orange one seems to "shivering" and showing signs of submission.

WGfNk.jpg

Update on the RBTA - moved about 2-3inches last week from where it has been since I placed it in the tank. Nothing has changed routine wise/parameter wise. Still eats and hasnt moved since. All seems well.

vpnVm.jpg

This is what I am currently battling in my tank. HA lots and lots of HA. Here it is on the rocks.

BSZA0.jpg

Here it is on the left corner of the tank, next to a lovely patch of cyano.

pvguS.jpg

Front middle of tank

xePen.jpg

More front middle

VbfNj.jpg

Some more on the rocks

X1BsI.jpg

Front right side

a0o6e.jpg

Back right - More Cyano with HA (even on the back wall)

1rSvP.jpg

Back wall (right) - you can see where ive scraped some of it off when ive been siphoning out water.

UzVbS.jpg

Back wall (left)

op2MR.jpg

HOB refugium with chaeto - you can see algae is starting to grow inside there too. I don't know how people keep theirs clean...I cycle the light with the main lights on the DT.

So that's it for me. I've been trying to do everything to take care of this problem. Feeding less. Less lights. Siphoning out the cyano and HA. Scrubbing the rocks. Skimming more wet. More WC frequency. Setting up a refugium with chateo (only been up two weeks so may need some time to break in). I've tried dosing peroxide as well. Nothing seems to work.

I test weekly and all the parameters are in check. Obviously the nitrate/phos readings will be off since the algae is consuming them all.

I'm debating whether or not to start siphoning the sand bed as a result of weekly maintenance. I know this is a risk since the sand hasn't been cleaned/touched every and its been setup for a little over a year now OR just start siphoning out the sand completely...

Any advice is greatly welcome...

• 4 months later...

So I finally added this guy after 3 weeks of QT. My camera skills are non existent compared to other members here so the colors of the fish dont really show:

d699Tka.jpg

VCiZDyF.jpg

Added this guy last week to the QT, so far no signs of any issues:

jFEFrv5.jpg

I've managed to get rid of all the cyano. However, still have a gha problem. Not as much as before but still there. I have gfo and carbon running in a reactor but still having issues. My salifert test shows zero phosphate/nitrate. I've taken to scrubbing the rocks but it comes back. I think im doing something wrong with the group. I change it every month but it seems that after a week of the change the gfo doesn't tumble even with the mj1200 open all the way. I've cleaned everything thru and thru and still happens. I use the brscalc. To determine how much I need and even used less this time and still no tumbling a week after.

Have you checked or verified that your water source is really clean? I'd worry more about how any nutrients are entering the system as a focus instead of how to remove them. Hair algae is a nuisance, but usually goes away pretty quickly when you starve it.

i typically only use about a cup of brs gfo high capacity and a maxi 1200 open...and it tumbles well...I change it every 2.5-3 weeks....try a lot less than they recommend....don't forget they are the ones selling it to ya ;)

what is that first fish? and that naso is gorgeous...where did you find him? I just lost mine as he wouldn't eat from the day I got him

Have you checked or verified that your water source is really clean? I'd worry more about how any nutrients are entering the system as a focus instead of how to remove them. Hair algae is a nuisance, but usually goes away pretty quickly when you starve it.

Yup. Checked that first thing. 0TDS and no phosphate or anything from the water source. Only thing I can think of would be the mixing brute can. It has built up calc. deposits and I've never cleaned it, but that shouldn't be cause for concern right? I feed every other day changing what they eat (small pinch of flakes vs small small piece of Jan's Food) The eel gets about a third of a jumbo shrimp every 2-3 days.

Don't have a hanna checker so can't really get a low end reading on the phosphate as the Salifert kit shows none.

Only thing I can think of is the PVC housing that I have for the eel. I have yet to clean it, since its gone in the tank which was back in July of last year. I think I might need more CUC - mexican turbos to be more specific. I have a few nitrite and narssius with 2 skunk cleaners.

i typically only use about a cup of brs gfo high capacity and a maxi 1200 open...and it tumbles well...I change it every 2.5-3 weeks....try a lot less than they recommend....don't forget they are the ones selling it to ya ;)

what is that first fish? and that naso is gorgeous...where did you find him? I just lost mine as he wouldn't eat from the day I got him

The calc recommends 1.5cups which I've been dropping to 1cup. With the 1200 wide open I get no surface agitation like in the BRS video. it tumbles just not as well. Or not all of it tumbles just like half of it. I asked BRS and they said I should be fine and am thinking to much about it.

First fish is a red velvet wrasse. I hate to tell ya (cause I'd love to own one) but its not a naso but it sure looks close to one don't it? It's actually a powder brown tang. Picked it up online from bluezoo.

well they are both gorgeous...but it does look a lot like the naso. I really love the velvet...so pretty.

my gfo doesn't tumble through the whole canister either...mostly just the top 1/3.

So its been two weeks I've had the tang in the qt. No spots. Eats like a pig. Do I risk transfer to the DT or be proactive and treat with copper and prazi for another two weeks?

Personally, I won't treat unless there is a reason to treat. Most treatments are pretty rough on fish.

After battling ich last year I now prophylactically treat all new fish with .35 ppm of cupramine copper for two weeks before they go into my DT. There is no way I'm allowing that back into my tank. I have lost fish from this, but I haven't introduced ich into my tank in 6 months. I went 10 weeks fallow in my DT after a nasty outbreak last year.

If you're just observing, I'd QT a fish for at least 6 weeks.

• 2 months later...
(edited)

Wifey gave the nod for the bigger tank in the basement and Steve/Vince @ QR got me an awesome deal so I couldn't resist!!! Going to be awhile until the move and basement is finished but can't wait to set this bad boy up!

oqE9y4c.jpg

Edited by .OptimusPrime.

Wifey gave the nod for the bigger tank in the basement and Steve/Vince @ QR got me an awesome deal so I couldn't resist!!! Going to be awhile until the move and basement is finished but can't wait to set this bad boy up!

oqE9y4c.jpg

Oooooooh. I've been waiting for that nod! Lucky guy!

• 5 months later...

So end of the year update:

ALGAE EVERYWHERE!!!!! Cyano and hair galore. I've scrubbed and scrubbed and cant scrub no more. I've tried everything under the sun to try and get this under control. More flow, Dual reactor with gfo and carbon, less feeding. lights out, more frequent water changes in both large and small volumes, carbon dosing, less time running lights, changed bulbs, changed ro/di filters, refugium..etc. You name it, I've probably done it. I want to get this stuff under control before the basement on the new house is complete and I can set up my 180.

All my fish have died except for my clowns. They are still alive and kicking. My anemone seems to be doing fine as well. I have no idea where its coming from.

So over the next few weeks I'm getting rid of my sand bed. I'm getting rid of the PVC piping that was used for eel housing. I'm getting rid of the eggcrate under the rocks. The 5+ inches of sand has to go. I will re-use the some of the sand when I setup the 180 once its been completely dried out and cleaned.

Picture time! (sorry only had cell phone available)

z0zGTLC.jpg

yGm37bq.jpg

8dH8qy6.jpg

ljwFvGz.jpg

ExeMJzV.jpg

PPSwJWA.jpg

RTLIAhg.jpg

And now with the first part of the sand gone:

nCYpOTZ.jpg

1AGLDfy.jpg

So thats that, Will be making a weekly post/journal so I can see what progress has been if any. Any comments about how to get this under control, I'm all ears.