Prime's 75 gallon build

Get rid of it. If that drain gets something in it and backs up (that's what the emergency is for), I think water might shoot out of that hole.

I also strongly recommend switching to a good quality gate valve now. Those ball valves get harder and harder to adjust over time and the adjustments you make need to be very small.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup gave the herbie a test run and decided to go with that. Just waiting for a new overflow box to get here.

I'm going on a vacation for a week in 2 weeks.

Should I bother to start to cycle once I get the overflow box in (later this week/next week)?? or should I wait until after I get back.

If I should start, I do have family and friends that could do what is needed. Would would be needed outside of testing and the water change?

Also, is there anyway to quiet the hum from the 1262? I assume its vibrating on the glass and placing something like pads or rubber feet would quiet it?

If not, no worries.

You don't need to do anything but add top off water so the pump doesn't run dry.

The one thing that annoys me about about the eheim pumps is that they don't come with suction pumps or any kind of pad to sit them on. They run very quiet, but without something they do vibrate on the glass a little.

I have a vibration dampening pad from BRS, but I've hear of people using everything from suction cups to mouse pads and silicon hot pads.

Edited to add: Rule #1 - never change anything right before a vacation. If you are going to install the overflow an and then skip town, I'd suggested just leaving it drained till you get back. For whatever reason, Murphy strikes twice as often if you install or change something right before you leave.

Edited by hypertech

I would let it run while your gone. No lights needed, no skimmer, just the return pump and ato.. If you could get your cycle mostly done and not have to be around to deal with it I most certainly would.! Especially if someone can come by and just make sure its still full of water and not on the floor.. Trockism --> Why wait til tomorrow for what can be done today..

I would let it run while your gone. No lights needed, no skimmer, just the return pump and ato.. If you could get your cycle mostly done and not have to be around to deal with it I most certainly would.! Especially if someone can come by and just make sure its still full of water and not on the floor.. Trockism --> Why wait til tomorrow for what can be done today..

LOL another one of the famous trockisms

I'll let you know what i decide to do once the overflow gets here if ever... this is killing me..its soo close... :)

I got some of those vibration isolation pads. and stuck them under the pump.

It helped a little but not by much guess, I can live with it.

Side note: my sump had water in it and when I stuck my hand in. the water was slimey feeling? is that cause there is not circulation and it was just standing water that developed film?

It was all ro/di water, if that makes a difference.

• 4 weeks later...

So finally after a month of waiting...im getting the new overflow on Thursday!!!clap.gifEarly christmas gift for me!!!

Now question is...ive had standing RO/DI water for the past month and a half in both the DT and sump that has developed a film on top...

Do I dump it all and start over with fresh water? or it doesnt matter since I have to cycle anyway?

Got the overflow in and messing with the valves to make sure everything runs quiet.

Everytime I find a setting that works (read dont hear a thing, but the return pump), I cut the power and do the outage test, to make sure I have enough room to catch any overflow.

When the check passes and I turn on the pump on again, it is never as quiet as it was before. The return chamber always seems to run low, even though it was perfectly fine before I killed the power.

I wait and wait for it see if it will balance out and it never does.

What am I doing wrong?

Figured it out.

Added salt. SG is at 1.025ish according to the refractometer.

Water temp is between 78/79.

Now what? Do I add shrimp now in a nylon sock and let it sit for a few hours? Can I buy some LR and seed my other rock?

Do I test water parameters every other day until I get what Im looking for?

You can add the shrimp to start your cycle, and you can also get some established rock to help that along and seed your dryrock.

Or, if your afraid of pests with liverock, just wait for the shrimp to do its thing.

You can also help your cycle along with some of the bottled bacteria's.

It will cycle on its own. Sea chem stability or MB7 seem to be the best of the hurry up products.

Also, many advocate against water changes during the cycle as being counterproductive.

Awesome! Thanks. I guess I can wait it out. I won't do any water changes.

If you want some rubble rock to speed up the process, let me know. I have some you can have.

Thanks for the offer, I will let you know :)

Also, this morning I noticed the shrimp is now somewhat pinkish in color.

I assume its slightly cooking in the tank. Is this normal? Water temp is only around 79-80?

Maybe it's the ammonia causing it to change color?? I'm not sure, I've never done this method. Once you get up and running, I can give you a few frags as well. I have a few pieces that broke off, and I'm too lazy to fish them out and glue them onto something.