EcoTech Radion XR30

zygote2k

I wonder why they used green. have they studied what gives the best color and stuff? Makes me wonder if it really is the best? I mean, their vortech line is good, right? I know water chemistry is most important

Wow that is expensive. Also, I would like to see a video or couple pictures or something. I think Vortech is not doing enough to advertise this product well. I mean they just launched it but there is not much out there to see.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.907065,-77.044429

I wonder why they used green. have they studied what gives the best color and stuff? Makes me wonder if it really is the best? I mean, their vortech line is good, right? I know water chemistry is most important

Green was added to allow full spectral output. Their theory is that we will be able to replicate the spectral output of any metal halide bulb (or the look that is most appealing to us. There are even plans to facilitate a file sharing section of their website so that you could download the profile for your favorite M/H bulb or share files with your buddy. This fixture is somewhat of a game changer in the LED market.

it's actually not that expensive compared to the ai or orphtek and cheap compared to some (iluminata). i believe it has more wattage and covers a slightly larger area then the ais and has rbg capability, which should help in the spectral balancing that bothers me about the AIs. that said, I prefer t5s at this point to any commercial fixture in terms of color/price.

I think this may be a much better solution than the classic Cree Cool White and Royal blue combination. I like the more complete spectral coverage. I just got a set of rare Cree warm whites with the 90 color rendering index. I am going to add them to my Sol Blue setup to get more depth of color.

The Ecotechs are not a lot more money than the AIs.

Wow that is expensive. Also, I would like to see a video or couple pictures or something. I think Vortech is not doing enough to advertise this product well. I mean they just launched it but there is not much out there to see.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.907065,-77.044429

It's being officially launched at MACNA. I'm sure you'll see video shortly.

Switch the red for warmwhites and the green for purple/uv and you have a great light.....better yet just diy it.

The warmwhites will give you the same red but add more par.

The 410 to 440nm is the real missing area that needs some help.

Aquaillumination also debuted today at MACNA their next product line codename Phoenix. They are going to be having a price drop later this year as well

Yep, AI is moving down in price & Ecotech jumps in near the top - lol - pass.

Given Ecotech's track record maybe by generation 6 they'll have a functioning product. :laugh:

Interesting how so many people can bash a product that has not even been released and they have not actually touched or seen. I have had my issues with ecotech, but overall they really are one of the better companies out there for innovative/quality products with a pretty good customer service to back it up.

Here is the first "official" negative review I have seen:

http://blog.captive-aquatics.com/captive_aquatics/2011/09/ecotech-marines-radion-xr30-led-light-a-swing-and-a-miss.html

Essentially I take this to say that he thinks it is junk(all without ever even seeing the fixture), but so is every other fixture on the market, and especially the DIY fixtures.

Ecotech and LED haters are coming out of the woodwork for this one which tends to make me think that everyone must consider this light a serious threat to the lighting market. I'M IN, PLACING MY PRE-ORDER NOW!!!

^wow, what a slanted blog!

Watching the swirl and excitement around stuff like this is very interesting for me. I am not an early adopter, but love watching the drama!

Two conflicting articles. I agree that it was much easier to purchase and position a MH fixture for full coverage of my tank. When I switched to LED lighting, I had to strategically measure the distance from water surface and adjust the light (intensity wise) for full coverage of the tank.

Still, I think LEDs can be the future lighting source of this hobby. I just think that there is a lot to be worked on.

I also agree with the first article that many features that are added to today's LED fixtures are to please the user more than to please the animals we keep. For instance, although it sounds (and looks) very cool, the storm mode on my AI fixture does stress my corals and fish whenever it goes off. Personally, I prefer to have my man-made reef to be situated at a location without any storms in my fantasy world.

On the other hand, some bloggers and AI themselves claim that the storm mode is thought to be encouraging spawning of nems, etc. I am excited to see that it is the case.

Edited by Reefoholic

Watching the swirl and excitement around stuff like this is very interesting for me. I am not an early adopter, but love watching the drama!

I do love the drama, but honestly I would love to see more clarity in the field. I plan to switch at least one tank to LED next year, and I hope it will be easier to make the decision then.