Controller Uses

Mountaineer

First off let me say that I do not own an aquarium controller. I'm intrigued by the idea and I have been brainstorming the functions that I can benefit from.

I know (or at least think) that the controller can do these things for me:

- Turn lights on and off (replacing my current timers)

- Monitor pH (control pH if you have a Ca reactor)

- Control heater (replaces my current heater control)

-If for some reason my tank gets too hot it can turn my lights off to improve the temp.

I recently thought about how nice it would be if it would turn off my skimmer during a power outage so it would not come back on until I am there to make sure it does not go "crazy" and overflow when it comes back on. It seems to overflow after every power outage until the water level in the sump is stable again. Not sure if it can do this, but I think it could be programmed.

If my water level in the sump became too low due to a failure of my auto top-off pump it could be set up (maybe) to shut off the return pump before it ran dry and seized.

Anything else you guys or gals that have controllers use them for? Any tips for setting them up?

Dim lights/LEDs. I have T5HO TEK fixture that I have installed 0-10V dimming ballasts and I use the apex do dim up and down for sunset and sunrise. Works great. I also use it for ATO, Skimmate container, automatic feeding and a bunch of alarms in case something goes nuts.

I think the alert messages my ACIII sends me is the main feature that I like. If a parameter is beyond a desired set point or if the power goes out then I get an email and a text message.

I also like the feed cycle options. I can push a button, throw the food in, and then walk away. I no longer have to remember to turn the pumps back on.

Yes, but not only can controllers turn off equipment when temperature rises, they can turn on cooling equipment once a certain temperature is reached; all depends on how you program it. I also use mine as a wavemaker, oscillating two (or more powerheads). Most can be programmed for feeding cycles or maintenance cycles which makes daily routine husbandry even easier. Lastly, some controllers on the market will alert via e-mail/text message and/or record data to a PC for us reef geeks.

I couldn't imagine reefkeeping without one after using one for almost 2 years now.

Like Coral Hind, I like the messaging feature that I get with my AC-III. Not only does it send me an alert if something is out of whack (alas, it's not on the new setup yet), but I also have it programmed to send me a status every day at 3 PM.

One of the great benefits that I realized early on was the history and graphing of certain parameters, like pH, temperature, ORP, etc. It really gives you insight into the rhythm of your tank and helps you visualize it all. Once you get the hang of it, you begin to see things: A declining trend in your pH may mean it's time to replenish your kalk, for example.

I currently have the Apex and before that the AquaController Jr. Today's controllers can do just about anything that you want them to do. All the things you listed you were interested in it doing it will do and more. I am currently not really using any of the advanced features but there are so many things they can do. There are few places on the net that people have posted their programs and you copy and tweak to your desire. If you think of it there is probably a program that can be created to handle it. They can even send you emails, sound alarms, etc.

Oh, and on the "there's an app for that" front: You can get apps now that tie your smart phone to your tank controller. For example, I have a droid phone and I use an app built for the Apex (but it also works with an AC-III). I can monitor my system from the widget on my screen, can view graphs, and can control outlets (lights, heaters, pumps, etc.) from my phone. It's pretty cool, actually.

(EDIT: Here's the link in the Android Market.)

Wow I was just thinking about getting one myself so this thread is well timed......is there one brand out there that is the most popular or one that is easiest to use that will be able to be monitored via pc or iPad etc?

Oh, and on the "there's an app for that" front: You can get apps now that tie your smart phone to your tank controller. For example, I have a droid phone and I use an app built for the Apex (but it also works with an AC-III). I can monitor my system from the widget on my screen, can view graphs, and can control outlets (lights, heaters, pumps, etc.) from my phone. It's pretty cool, actually.

which app is that?

Go to the Android Market and search for "Apex" by HeneryH. There's a demo version, too, that offers less functionality. The low cost makes getting the full version an easy decision. HeneryH is another hobbyist. He first posted about this app on RC a year or two ago.

(Edit: Here's the Android Market link.)

Wow I was just thinking about getting one myself so this thread is well timed......is there one brand out there that is the most popular or one that is easiest to use that will be able to be monitored via pc or iPad etc?

I have the Neptune Apex and you can control your tank from virtually anywhere you have an internet connection after some configuration of your Apex. There is a very thorough document out there for configuring the Apex. As Origami2547 mentioned there an app that can do it with as well (Android and IPhone), but you may not even need to use an app. I have a Evo can can monitor and control my Apex from virtually anywhere. At home I monitor and update programming in my loft and see the changes instantly. I can look at the status, turn outlets on and off, view graphs, change programming, etc. all from my phone with no app. There are so many possibilities!

I have the Neptune Apex and you can control your tank from virtually anywhere you have an internet connection after some configuration of your Apex. There is a very thorough document out there for configuring the Apex. As Origami2547 mentioned there an app that can do it with as well (Android and IPhone), but you may not even need to use an app. I have a Evo can can monitor and control my Apex from virtually anywhere. At home I monitor and update programming in my loft and see the changes instantly. I can look at the status, turn outlets on and off, view graphs, change programming, etc. all from my phone with no app. There are so many possibilities!

I'm really fascinated by the possibilities with controllers. I have an aquacontroller jr. on the 24 right now until I get my III back from where it is (and reset up the web server configs). I haven't figured out how to do the feeding settings easily yet, so may be asking for some assistance. I have a lot of trouble reprogramming the Jr. due to its line editor (much prefer the keyboard for that).

I'm currently using mine to turn several sets of lights on and off, turns lights off and fan on at a certain temp, has alarms set but I haven't set up the light or buzzer or whatever to be its indicator, does temp control (of course) and will monitor pH once I replace the now long dead probe.

What improvements does the Apex have over the III?

I'm going to not hijack the thread by asking about other types of apps for ipad/iphone so I'll ask in another thread.

which app is that?

which app is that?

Duplicate post hours apart?

See post #13 above, Scott. It's "Apex" by HeneryH (a hobbyist who's also on RC). Go to the Android Market and search for Apex.

(Edit: Here's the Android Market link.)

In Russia, Aquarium Controller controls You! :p

I can't believe no one jumped on that yet. hehe.

I'm starting to get the aquarium controller bug. After reading about them, I decided to get my feet wet with an Reef Keep Lite. I got a decent package deal over the holidays and now that my 135 is getting wet (the system I bought it for), I can't wait to get into the insides of my RKL. So many things to control, such a little box. But now that I fully understand how much you can do with the RKL, I wish I had an RKE or at least an extra PC4 or two.

With what I have though, I'm planning on controlling my kalk reactor, the auto top off, and power heads (gonna try the wave function). I would need a 2nd PC4 to get most of everything else plugged into it that I would want to control and monitor (main pumps, skimmer, heaters, etc). If I had the extra money, I could easily see myself going full "techno-qautic" with an RKE.