Ugh... this sucks!.

Well I come home to see that my cyno out break is still alive and kicking. Better yet I open the cabinet and find my brand new Vortech driver in the sump. Yes, submerged in the water. The velcro adhesive pads it comes with don't stick at all apparently. All the electronics for the driver are sitting in a bowl of rice but I'm pretty sure it's fried. What a bummer.

If you buy a Vortech don't use the Velcro that comes with it. USE 3M double sided tape!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This kind of thing happens to most of us at one point or another...I know from experience that it does indeed suck.

When things like this happen to me, I just think how after I get things back the way they should be I will just have another story to tell...

This, too will pass! Don't stress out about it! The cyno will go away eventually. I had a really bad outbreak in my first tank and I had to wait it out. Take care of the corals tho. You could always blow the cyno away from the corals, cos obviously you don't want them to be covered with it.

I would def try to operate vortex and call them in order to get a sense of what they could offer.

I am sorry to hear all that, dude!

Thanks for the words of encouragement. It's been a while since I've run into anything bad with this hobby. I was freaking out because I thought I would have to buy an entire new Vortech MP10w ES. It looks like I can just buy the electronics for $85.00. I did email Vortech to see what the can do. The cyano on the other hands is out of control and I have a purple slime sand bed now. So frustrating!

What was the reason again? You added new live sand or something? It appeared on my tank too but mine is a new setup and I added new live sand like a week ago and it was all over the new LR addition, but slowly and surely it is retreating! Especially with all the gunk that my PS is producing now! I have my Vortech MP10 arriving in mail tomorrow, so I think some good water circulation will help with the nutrient and waste transportation, too. I am thinking of placing a powerhead closer to the sand just to create another current so that hopefully it will help ease the algae problem.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. It's been a while since I've run into anything bad with this hobby. I was freaking out because I thought I would have to buy an entire new Vortech MP10w ES. It looks like I can just buy the electronics for $85.00. I did email Vortech to see what the can do. The cyano on the other hands is out of control and I have a purple slime sand bed now. So frustrating!

What was the reason again? You added new live sand or something? It appeared on my tank too but mine is a new setup and I added new live sand like a week ago and it was all over the new LR addition, but slowly and surely it is retreating! Especially with all the gunk that my PS is producing now! I have my Vortech MP10 arriving in mail tomorrow, so I think some good water circulation will help with the nutrient and waste transportation, too. I am thinking of placing a powerhead closer to the sand just to create another current so that hopefully it will help ease the algae problem.

I had a bare bottom tank and got sick of it so I added sand. The dry sand I added caused the Cyano bloom. This is by far the worst algae problem I've ever had. I'm thinking now I should get a cup of sand from an established tank to speed up the process and seed the sand bed for beneficial bacteria. I'm also removing all the corals from the sand bed to avoid them being smothered. I tried to turn up the flow but I fried one of my Vortech :(

Established sand addition might speed up the process. I think I didn't get it so bad in my tank because I already had my old rocks and some sand.

I had a bare bottom tank and got sick of it so I added sand. The dry sand I added caused the Cyano bloom. This is by far the worst algae problem I've ever had. I'm thinking now I should get a cup of sand from an established tank to speed up the process and seed the sand bed for beneficial bacteria. I'm also removing all the corals from the sand bed to avoid them being smothered. I tried to turn up the flow but I fried one of my Vortech :(

Established sand addition might speed up the process. I think I didn't get it so bad in my tank because I already had my old rocks and some sand.

All the live rock in my tank is close to 3 years old... who knows. I just hope it goes away eventually. I want to barf when I look at the sand bed.

I hear you bro! You can always try to suck it up with a hose. It peels off like a film layer of algae. You might end up sucking up some sand too, tho.

All the live rock in my tank is close to 3 years old... who knows. I just hope it goes away eventually. I want to barf when I look at the sand bed.

Steve

Have u tried some MB7? This might help in getting rid of the cyno. It will feed the good bacteria and help starve the cyno.

Cyno took out my hammer coral and gonipora, but i treated it with "chemiclean" and I have been living cyno free since then. But when i used it, I turned off my skimmer and UV Sterlizer for 48 hrs and then did 30% water change, and then turned everything back on. Its been no cyno since then. Cyno outbreak happened about 3 months ago and I am cyno free since then.

Edited by Reloadeddevil

Steve

Have u tried some MB7? This might help in getting rid of the cyno. It will feed the good bacteria and help starve the cyno.

Cyno took out my hammer coral and gonipora, but i treated it with "chemiclean" and I have been living cyno free since then. But when i used it, I turned off my skimmer and UV Sterlizer for 48 hrs and then did 30% water change, and then turned everything back on. Its been no cyno since then. Cyno outbreak happened about 3 months ago and I am cyno free since then.

I have not tried any chemicals yet. I'm thinking I should now because it's getting pretty bad on the sand bed. I've never heard of MB7 or chemiclean. Never added any treatments to the tank before so this is all new to me. I've always taken the natural approach.

steve,

it should go away. i had a What moment sunday night after getting home from a wedding. gone only 2 days with stops by 2 stores on the way home. getting ready to acclimate some corals and notice water on the floor of our kitchen, running from sunroom where tank is. tank is sucking bubbles. checked the topoff feed which is fine. soaked up water and added to the tank trying to figure out what happened. after a while, figured out that one of the return lines got moved somehow (cats?) and a slow drip which had been going into the tank had been dripping all weekend. all the acros are stressed out. contemplated quitting again :)

however, as with everything in this hobby, things pass. the cyano bloom will as well. you can manually removed with a net and increase water flow low in the tank and as the nutrient surge passes, so should most of the cyano.

i'm going through a mini bloom as well as some of the dry rock i added in the tank move is cycling a little. annoying but it passes.

Steve, DO NOT GIVE UP homey, your tank is too nice. Just get the new electronics from Vortech, better yet, send them yours too see if its salvagable, and one thing i have been using that i have noticed works better than microbacter is Pordibio, looks it up, it works really good.

If you want some prodibio, and don't feel like buying a whole packet shoot me a pm. I have digest, optim, and reefbooster I am not using. If I were you I would use the MB 7 http://www.marinedep...IADWTBS-vi.html it is much less potent than prodibio from what I hear. Will give you just enough leverage to beat the algae. Dose slow at first as with anything.

Edit - If you can stand looking at it waiting it out is fine. Unless it starts growing on corals, it won't cause any longterm issue. If it stays in the sand, and off the rocks you are fine.

Edited by BowieReefer84

If you want some prodibio, and don't feel like buying a whole packet shoot me a pm. I have digest, optim, and reefbooster I am not using. If I were you I would use the MB 7 http://www.marinedep...IADWTBS-vi.html it is much less potent than prodibio from what I hear. Will give you just enough leverage to beat the algae. Dose slow at first as with anything.

Edit - If you can stand looking at it waiting it out is fine. Unless it starts growing on corals, it won't cause any longterm issue. If it stays in the sand, and off the rocks you are fine.

Could the MB7 cause any damage to the tank? I

Could the MB7 cause any damage to the tank? I'm reading you should dose Vodka or another supplement after stopping the MB7.

This is a loaded question. Your tank is really nice, and I am not going to say no to this... If you can stand the cyano in the sand wait it out. If 3 weeks from now it has gotten worse I would take some action. Seems it has only been a week or so? You didn't happen to pour any skimmate in your tank did you?

Edited by BowieReefer84

This is a loaded question. Your tank is really nice, and I am not going to say no to this... If you can stand the cyano in the sand wait it out. If 3 weeks from now it has gotten worse I would take some action. Seems it has only been a week or so? You didn't happen to pour any skimmate in your tank did you?

HAHAHAHAH! Thanks for the laugh. I decided to just wait it out then. Yes, it's only been about 1 or 2 weeks with the problem.

What is the normal cycle time frame for Cyano?

MB7, prodibio, and Chemi clean may be quick fixes, but they don't attack the underlying source of the problem. This is probably just the result of adding the sand and it will go away eventually. If it persists for longer than a few weeks, you may have other issues.