Ugh... this sucks!.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would just vacuum up the thicker areas when you do your water change. It's similar to growing and harvesting chaeto or another macroalgae: the nutrients are locked up in the cyano, and you remove it when there's a lot.

Edited by Jon Lazar

I have been fighting a bad cyano out break for a few months now. I didn't change anything, but went from algae free to algae rich with a purple sand bed just like you. I tried increasing flow, and that helped a little but it just meant that the cyano grew where ever the flow wasn't directly hitting. I have lost a few zoa colonies from it and several are still struggling.

I am now doing large water changes every two weeks and it has helped tremendously. Following the logic that cyano needs nutrients to grow I am doing water changes to reduce nutrient availability. However, the cyano remains a problem if I don't keep up with frequent water changes. This means my nutrient accumulation problem still exists.

I think I am over feeding. I have a massive pig of a wrasse in the tank that out competes everyone for food so I am adding a lot more food to make sure everyone gets some. If I can catch the wrasse this weekend the next step will be reduce feeding plus water changes and I am hoping that will solve it... but who knows. Always a challenge to maintain an a closed environment.

My suggestion: water changes.

Laura

Wow, that's a lot of cyano. I didn't have anywhere near that much. Looks like you need flow in those areas too.

Here's a current pic of what I'm dealing with. There aren't any more loose corals on the sand bed anymore.

cyano.jpg

I don't know how much more flow I could add. Alrady have two Vortechs in there. It looks like the Cyano isn't spreading anymore. The spots that I'm cleaned are still Cyano free two days later. Before it would be covered again within hours.

Good to hear it's not coming back. Keep doing whatever it is that you're doing.

I don't know how much more flow I could add. Alrady have two Vortechs in there. It looks like the Cyano isn't spreading anymore. The spots that I'm cleaned are still Cyano free two days later. Before it would be covered again within hours.