Reefoholic's New 20 Gallon

Yesterday was a big day for my lonely Ocellaris. I added a second Ocellaris to keep him company and I must admit I was a little anxious at first. After 10 mins of trembling and chasing, they seemed to get along well. This morning I watched them swim together, along each other and sharing the leather coral that the older one was hosting for a little while now.

Another new addition was a handsome green orange urchin. He seems to be exploring his new home enthusiastically. My calcium levels are pretty stable for a couple of days, an I am not even dozing anything. SPS look happy but I am not sure if they are using the calcium. My magnesium level is 1200ppm. Waiting for my brightwell magnesion to arrive.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Your system is really starting to come together. It's all looking very nice. The brightwell magnesion is a great product I use it myself.

-Chance-

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brightwell makes quality products! I started dosing MB7 and LiquidReef. Then I switched to NeoMarine Sea Salt from them. Now I am using Magnesion and tank inhabitants could not be happier! All the colors are already brighter and the fishes look more active than they were before. My shipment from Mr.Coral arrived today. I have picked some really nice frags and I can't wait to see them grow.

Here are some pictures of the tank and the frags. Please send me some ideas and suggestions about how/where to place them. I never had Acans, or Favias before so I am very inexperienced in where to put them in the tank. Right now, they reside on the sand, besides the rocks. I was hoping that they would kinda extend on the rocks, too. How to take care of the Sun Coral and how fast would the Plate Coral complete his disc?

Full Tank View under Actinic Blue T5s and ATI Purple Plus T5s

5714852398_2de692c107_b.jpg

5714852194_2d6934c533_b.jpg

Plate Coral

5714290509_ffceafd9a3_b.jpg

Black Sun Coral

5714899428_afc706806e_b.jpg

5714291081_9aa296546f_b.jpg

5714852642_1a831f2ab7_b.jpg

5714852104_c6f673ac82_b.jpg

New Addition

Thanks to Tekken for hosting my clam, which was a liveaquaria.com GB purchase, for a few days. I took him home today and he seems very happy as the newest addition to my tank. Sorry for the picture quality. I used my phone to take this pic. He has rainbow colors actually...

Here is a picture:

5731265165_59432f61bd_b.jpg

Can't wait for my ricordeas to arrive on Thursday!

Thanks Tekken for organizing the GB amd taking care of my clam so WELL!!!

New Addition

Thanks to Tekken for hosting my clam, which was a liveaquaria.com GB purchase, for a few days. I took him home today and he seems very happy as the newest addition to my tank. Sorry for the picture quality. I used my phone to take this pic. He has rainbow colors actually...

Here is a picture:

5731265165_59432f61bd_b.jpg

Can't wait for my ricordeas to arrive on Thursday!

Thanks Tekken for organizing the GB amd taking care of my clam so WELL!!!

Looking good Matt. The clam looks great in your tank. Now, I might have to think about getting a clam as well for my tank since it looked so so nice.

Thanks Steve! The clam looks very happy and is fully opened even at night sometimes! I love how sensitive they are to light. I pass by the tank and he flinches, :tongue:.

I think after the addition of some ricordeas that are coming tomorrow, I am not going to add more stuff to the tank. I e-poxied everything the other night, and yesterday I put the clam in... I feel like I am always in that tank elbow deep and it seems to upset my highly territorial Ocellaris. I think I would be pissed too if a giant hand scrambled my house every other day. lol!

my dendros and tubastrea seem to really like being glued upside down. they immediately put out polyps and stay out almost 24/7 when upside down. Plus they don't need light so you may want to try that. The tank looks great!

the acan and favia look great. May want to pull those bubble algae out before they spread. should be able to pull them out intact.

my dendros and tubastrea seem to really like being glued upside down. they immediately put out polyps and stay out almost 24/7 when upside down. Plus they don't need light so you may want to try that. The tank looks great!

the acan and favia look great. May want to pull those bubble algae out before they spread. should be able to pull them out intact.

I already pulled the bubble algea out and covered the area with some epoxy and glued some zoos there. I am not expecting a come back from the bubbles anymore. My Xenias are blooming after a very harsh mowing again. I guess there is not getting rid off Xenia.

Are you suggesting that I glue the sun coral upside down?

Are you suggesting that I glue the sun coral upside down?

you could. That's what I did with a couple of mine (I think there's a good pic of it). I'm going to do it with a black sun coral I have that still doesn't put out polyps regularly as well.

you could. That's what I did with a couple of mine (I think there's a good pic of it). I'm going to do it with a black sun coral I have that still doesn't put out polyps regularly as well.

Mine comes out at night, right after the lights go off. I try to feed him as much as possible. What do you feed yours? I am using some fine micron zooplankton.

I just feed mine whatever I feed the fish. I usually target them and the fish get everything they don't catch. The fish have become very good at stealing from the NPS.

Some new pictures of my tank's progress. The corals seem to be very happy and strangely they are getting chunky instead of growing upwards and new branches. I suspect this is their way of growing. I hope branching will follow.

I have been using NeoMarine Salt Mix by Brightwell for the last 3 water changes and frankly, I couldn't have been happier with the outcome. My alkalinity, calcium, magnesium and Ph levels are very very stable and the tank inhabitants seem to be enjoying their new salt mix. (highly recommended)

5751095426_8cc5fd534d_b.jpg

Nice growth on this monti. I am very proud! The picture is not very clear in terms of color but new growth is almost purple. Sweet!

5751095836_1a75e3a51d_b.jpg

Left side of the tank

5751096482_49bbe99b03_b.jpg

Strawberry Monti, growing away, lol!

5751097070_e1fa708a8a_b.jpg

I saw the polyps of this tiny Ice Fire Echinata extending almost fully for the first time last night. A long way to go to a colony...

5751097540_112f9f2236_b.jpg

Can someone help me identify this coral? It has green polyps and orange skeleton. I purchased it from Fins and Feathers, Sean?

5751098030_f70e13593c_b.jpg

Random Acan

5751098600_e83d9f5c17_b.jpg

I am considering adding a Dwarf Angel to nibble on the possible algae growth. I already have a pair of clowns and many SPS. Do you think Dwarf Angel would nibble on the SPS polyps? I remember reading something about it on the internet.

Gorgeous! This is putting a fire under my butt to hurry the heck up and get my tank up and running! I GOTTA get me a clam!

thanks! The first month was a disaster when I first set the tank up (diatoms, MH lighting bleached out my beloved monti and ORA Roscoe's Blue) but then everything slowly matured... now it is time to flourish!

Excited for your tank post!

Gorgeous! This is putting a fire under my butt to hurry the heck up and get my tank up and running! I GOTTA get me a clam!

Those hair lime rhodactis have a really hard time in captivity, good luck though they're awesome. Love the aquascape in your tank. How sturdy is that epoxy, I couldnt really get it to bond too well in my project. However I really need to add a couple more pieces of rock.

Thanks! I am considering adding more LR to the left side... I am waiting for my Magnetic MR2 BlackRockReef frag racks to arrive. I am planning on maybe using one of them as a construction piece. I have heard that they are pretty strong...

Epoxy is not too bad. It needs time to cure tho. Do you have a crab? My emerald crab is the only guy who messes with my rock work. The other day I saw him literally lift one of the end pieces of LR to go under it. Ridiculous how strong he is!

I patched with epoxy at crucial points to keep the rocks from falling over. There is not great pressure on the epoxy patches, in other words.

Those hair lime rhodactis have a really hard time in captivity, good luck though they're awesome. Love the aquascape in your tank. How sturdy is that epoxy, I couldnt really get it to bond too well in my project. However I really need to add a couple more pieces of rock.

Tyree? It is the strawberry monti that I got from the Marine Scene...

Is that tyree strawberry patch that you have?

It look very similar to the strawberry patch colony that I have. Mine used to be green base but now I can't see the green anymore due to the ridiculous amount of polys on it. It got a very strange growth pattern too. It is growing out and downward. Actually all of my monti have strange growth pattern lol. You will see what I am talking about tomorrow.

Cool! I like the upward, kinda rose petal growth. Or disk and upward is good too.

It look very similar to the strawberry patch colony that I have. Mine used to be green base but now I can't see the green anymore due to the ridiculous amount of polys on it. It got a very strange growth pattern too. It is growing out and downward. Actually all of my monti have strange growth pattern lol. You will see what I am talking about tomorrow.

I was thinking of getting a Dwarf Angel, flame or coral beauty. I have read that they nibble at the SPS, tho. Also, my bro who is a marine biologist, told me to steer clear from them since I have many SPS corals. I might get something else tiny, lol!

Suggestions?

looks great! love the flower nem.

Which angel were you thinking about getting?

BTW, I picked up my goodies from bk_market and did some reef-scaping... My clam is gorgeous! So are the rics! Pics to come!

Thanks very much bk_market for organizing this GB and Mr.Holiday for graciously giving me a ride back home!

I think the nicest dwarf angel is potter angel. I had one before and I was planning to get one soon but I am worry now that I just added the clams. The one I had before never bother anything but you can never know.

Let me know if you want to do some fish GB sometime I still might grab the angel though.