LFS vs RO/DI Unit

Steve Ramos

Newbie here tying to decide wether or not to invest in a RO/DI unit or just head down to marine scene in Herndon to buy all the water. I will have 75 gallon tank with a sump underneath and I am planning on doing 5 gallon water changes every week.

I know this a popular debate so here is my situation:

Distance is not an issue because I live right by Marine Scene so I can always drive there or stock up. I believe their water is a little over $1 a gallon for SW and a little less for RO/DO freshwater. So that's about 5-10 bucks a week for a simple remove and dump process.

I also live in a condo so I don't want to install a fancy or complex unit under my sink or by my washer & dryer. I definitely do not want to deal with any of the pipes. My thinking would be to store the RO/DI unit somewhere. When needed, bring it out of storage, install it somehow onto my bathroom faucet (not really sure how but I believe its possible) and create the water into a 5 gallon bucket. I guess I would need 5 gallons of SW and 5 of FW. I would then remove the unit and back to storage. Doing it this way, I would also need to buy the salt mix, heater, small pump, to mix everything. There is also the cost of replacing the filters on the RO/DI.

I guess my question is do I take the lazy way out and spend 5-10 bucks a week, I'll skip lunch one day =), or do I buy all of the equipment and handle everything on my own? Maybe start off buying and then buy the unit? I appreciate any advice!

There are adapters that allow you to hook up to various faucets and hoses. Myself personally I wouldn't and have never bought seawater from the store. A 250 gallon bucket of salt is about $50 or so and that comes out pretty cheap per gallon. At a later time, you may also consider setting up an ATO for your tank and the RODI would be invaluable for that. Lots of different things to think about, but you came to the right place and you are asking the right questions. Good luck!

It sounds like buying the water until you decide to upgrade to a larger tank (It'll happen eventually!) makes sense for you in a lot of ways. My only suggestion/comment would be this:

Make sure that you keep a supply of spare fresh and saltwater on hand if you're going to purchase all your water.

The last thing you want is to have an emergency need for water at 9 PM on Christmas Eve and not be able to get it for a couple days.

It can be quite a dilemma. IMHO, I'd invest in a unit. It's probably better to get a larger one so you don't have to run it as long either. You should definitely compare the difference in your water bill. On one side you have gas money and trekking water every week into your apartment, and skipping lunch one day week! On the other, you can buy a large bucket of salt that will last you a good while, spend the intial cost for a RO/DI, pump, heater and resevoir. and the cost of replacing filters every year or so, give or take a few months. Since Ive been doing this, I've seen the convenience of both, but like randumbwit said, you dont want to be out of water at a bad time. Not trying to take dollars away from Marinescene(buy the unit from them!), but Im sure alot of peoples goals on here is to make their tank thrive and be as self sufficient as possible. An RO unit and ATO will put you on that path.

The last thing you want is to have an emergency need for water at 9 PM on Christmas Eve and not be able to get it for a couple days.

^ Thats what the club is for. :clap:

I would go ahead and buy the RODI unit. They are super easy to install, if you are worried about tampering with the plumbing with the self piercing saddle valve you can always leave it behind when you move. Or if you have flex plumbing instead of copper pipes you can buy some adapter pieces that literally just screw in place. Most units are small enough that you can hide it under your sink.

Theres also the fact that toting around water every week will get pretty monotonous after awhile.

Someone can refute my rough estimations if I am too off base here, but....

I think for $250ish you can get a nice rodi setup that will make you around 500 gallons before replacing filters. 50 cents a gallon approx?

replacing carbon and filters = $50 maybe

ro membrane if need to replace = about $80 and needs to be replaced at about 1000 gallons.

so 1000 gallons have cost you $75 (filters) + $250 (new) = $325 so about 32 cents per gallon.

SO the longer you stay in the hobby, over time, the RO unit will pay off. (and no lugging to/from the store!)

(edit : yes I forgot salt - $40 if you shop around for 200 gallons, so add $200 - so about 50 cents per gallon after 1000 gallons of salt water)

I would think a RO membrane would last longer then 1000 gallons, from all that Ive seen most are reported to last 3-5 years. If you only made 10 gallons a week I would think the membrane would last for a pretty long time

The membrane is not just gallon sensitive, they also die of old age... 12 months suggested, I say 18.

I say <50 gallons just buy water, over 100 get a unit, anthing in between it is up to you.

The unit will save you $ over the long run, but the big issue is ease of use. If you need to drag it out each time, you will prolly burn more time than stopping at the LFS on your way home (plus you get to see all that cool stuff while you are there.)

I had a very bad experience with fish store water. Not going to mention which store, but they had a filter problem and didn't know almost wiped out my tank and since many of us don't carry a tds meter its impossible to check water quality.... Also they are so easy to install and operate. As for the ro/di if you wait until someones getting out you can get them used and replace all the filters.... The down side is I've flooded my basement several times:)

(edited)

My two cents: get an rodi no matter what. Hauling buckets of water is a pita. I bought one when I ran a bc29 and wouldn't have done it otherwise.

I also think your estimates are quite high both in the replacement costs and frequency of changing. I make about 30g a month for top off on my 75. My rodi is going to go a long time before anything needs to be changed.

Generally I recommend against a used unit. By the time you replace all the filters you are practically at the price of a new one.

Edited by hypertech

Filters are also cheaper than you think. A package of 1 sediment and 2 carbon blocks from AWI is only $20. DI refill might cost you another $10. If you wear out a membrane (I think you'll get several years out of one), they're $25-$40 depending on where you shop.

(edited)

I bought an RO (no DI) unit at That Fish Place for around $120. 75 GPD.

5 years later it is still working perfectly. On the same membrane. I switch carbon and sediment filters every 6 months, but they cost about $7 each (LINK).

TDS on output water is about 003-005, which never seemed worth the DI part to me. Especially since you aren't supposed to drink it if you use DI. I drink mine.

Your mileage may vary.

I see they have save $25 on orders over 150 and save $15 on orders over 100 right now. Here is a 90 GPD unit you could get for about $135 after that discount: LINK

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

I appreciate all of the advice on this topic. You guys have now convinced me and I am researching RO/DI units and will go that route. I think it would be easy to install it right next to my washer and dryer. That way, I can run the drain hose right down the washer's drain hose. I'll just have to make sure I get a Y connector so I can connect the washer and RO/DI units into the same faucet. I've heard good things on the RO/DI units at Bulk Reef Supply. It's well made and the price is pretty good as well for what you get. Thanks again for all of the help. I tried to convince myself to take the easy way out and just pay for the water but it just doesn't make sense to do this every single week.

I appreciate all of the advice on this topic. You guys have now convinced me and I am researching RO/DI units and will go that route.

Good decision. Figure that you've got 8 gallons per week going into water changes, plus another 5-7 gallons per week that you're going to need to compensate for evaporation (top off water). In the end, you're talking over $50 per month in water plus the time and effort to lug it back and forth. (That gets old in a hurry.)

There are maintenance costs associated with an RO/DI system, of course, but my guess would be that your cost recovery horizon is likely to be around 5 or 6 months, assuming a $200 RO/DI and 2 full filter replacements per year at $50 per replacement.

(edited)

^that is how I have mine set up.

A word of advice, search out and find a solid brass Y connector... do not use an outdoor garden Y connector... they are prone to failure (I woke up to 2" of water throughout my lower floor a couple of years ago when an outdoor garden hose Y connector failed in the middle of the night).

Edited by Chad

Oh, and take a look at Air, Water and Ice (a WAMAS sponsor), they have great customer service and we get a discount :)

About that discount over at AWI: Look in our "Vendor" forum where we maintain a "sticky" post listing vendor discounts. I believe that we get 10% off.

One last reminder. DO NOT think you can leave the water going into a bucket and remember to turn off the water before going to bed/going to work etc.... You Will have water on the floor. Get a float cut off switch, and DON"T rely on that 100% either.

Not to mention the $4+ per gallon of gas to drive to and from...

Just buy a unit, get one from AWI (air water and ice), who is a vendor member here, which you get a discount on. Well worth it in the end...