Pics from Galapagos trip

Well, I just got back from a week of snorkeling and hiking in the Galapagos.

I was amazed how much wildlife is there.

It was difficult to stand at any point on any island and not see tons of things.

I chose a few of my favorite pics from land to show.

I have 2 cameras full of underwater shots developing, but am not confident any of them will come out. If they do, I will post them.

There were a lot of things I saw but didn't get a good pic of (but one of the other 3 people might have), like Sea turtles, Flamingos, Galapagos Sharks, and of course Blue Footed Boobies

I resampled these pics down to make them easier to upload.

Land Iguana (male)

gallery_696_6_388616.jpg

Random Lizard (Male)

gallery_696_6_100917.jpg

A crab that was EVERYWHERE. Big one. They call them "sally lightfoot" crabs, but they are not the Sally Lightfoots I know. !?

This crab is almost the size of a dinner plate...

gallery_696_6_211797.jpg

The tide pools there were amazing. See all those crabs? There is a lava Heron and a Pelican in this pic that are hard to see, as well as fish which are impossible to see.

gallery_696_6_87100.jpg

There were sea lions EVERYWHERE. Had to shoo them out of the way. Here is a baby nursing right in the path. BTW, there are about 10 sea lions in this pic...

gallery_696_6_32202.jpg

The Galapagos Hawk. Only one we saw. Top predator. Eats Iguanas, lizards, snakes, birds, etc.

gallery_696_6_1845.jpg

Beautiful lizard I saw.

gallery_696_6_91391.jpg

One of the species of marine iguana. They call them "christmas iguanas" because of their coloration.

gallery_696_6_186227.jpg

Yep we saw giant tortoises...

gallery_696_6_366543.jpg

Those sea lions were just everywhere...the beach, the park, the benches, the boats...I told Colleen to sit on this bench and took a pic.

gallery_696_6_95359.jpg

We went ahead and stopped by the equator while in Quito...this is me and the 3 friends I went with.

gallery_696_6_275274.jpg

Yep, the weather was nice, the water was clear...such a great place...

gallery_696_6_11946.jpg

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

Totally awesome. One of my wish list places. Awesome.

I wish I could of seen it before it became so touristy:( I had an oppurtinty to go, but couldn't afford it with my college payments. Did you get any shots of the famous finches!

They call them "sally lightfoot" crabs, but they are not the Sally Lightfoots I know. !?

Just 2 different species with the same common name. The Galapagos crab is Grapsus grapsus, the crab common in our tanks is Percnon gibbesi. They both get their name from the nimble way they walk around, which came from seaman's lore because they reminded them of of Sally Lightfoot, a night club dancer of the caribbean. Thankfully the crabs were discovered many many years ago, if found today we would have Destiny crabs, or Crystal crabs. Strippers and crabs just shouldnt go together IMO :tongue:

BTW, I hate you too, great pics, thanks.

Just 2 different species with the same common name. The Galapagos crab is Grapsus grapsus, the crab common in our tanks is Percnon gibbesi. They both get their name from the nimble way they walk around, which came from seaman's lore because they reminded them of of Sally Lightfoot, a night club dancer of the caribbean. Thankfully the crabs were discovered many many years ago, if found today we would have Destiny crabs, or Crystal crabs. Strippers and crabs just shouldnt go together IMO tongue.gif

haha, thanks for that image... and if you are BSing, you are excellent at it clap.gif

Great Pics! I was there a few years ago when I was studying in Ecuador. Did you get to Darwin's station to see the animals there? How about the huge mailbox with all the letters? Where did you snorkle? I remember the current being VERY strong! I took a ton of pics while I was there!

I wish I could of seen it before it became so touristy:( I had an oppurtinty to go, but couldn't afford it with my college payments. Did you get any shots of the famous finches!

I saw finches but didn't take any pics. I was more impressed by the frigates and boobies and other birds that were more exotic. Some of the folks I was with took pics of the finches.

Could you dive there?

Yes you can. I didn't. Not my thing.

Great Pics! I was there a few years ago when I was studying in Ecuador. Did you get to Darwin's station to see the animals there? How about the huge mailbox with all the letters? Where did you snorkle? I remember the current being VERY strong! I took a ton of pics while I was there!

I did not go to the research station at Santa Cruz but did go to the San Crist

I claim hater status as well!!!!! Chalk me up on the list!

Nice - awesome, and yes definitely on the Bucket List for me too.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Well, I got 3 of these pics (including pic 7 and 8 above) blown up to 16x20 and 20x30.

I went to the mall to get them framed (with my wallet), and the guy down there liked them so much, he matted framed them for me nearly for free, and wants to make a bunch more for me to sign to sell in his shop and split the money with me!

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

^that's awesome!

• 1 month later...
Guest carpet123

Awesome ,wonderful ,beautiful............words are not enough