3 clownfish 1 tank

gmubeach

Tank is 46 gallons

2 clownfish black and white mated(never had babies)

1 clownfish naked.

How do I know I'm out of the "danger zone".

I'm 60% sure I got two females in the tank.

My clownfish are two diffrent sizes and the new one is slightly bigger then the female.

SO far the new clownfish has only displaced the old. The new one does act mildly agressive. Its been since 8:15 I felt bad leaving her in the sump. Shes for sale I need to get good pictures of her, does anyone think that the 3 in 1 could actaully work? I need advice if I'm slowly stressing my fish to death I'd rather put her in the sump. I can't see any obvious damage on either fish. I stayed up for 3 hours watching and waiting and nothing happend overly agressivly:(

(I DID THIS Once before with bad results Last time was much much worse and a smaller tank).

Please only chime in if you have something postive or atleast animal "nessicary" I don't want to hear something like you moran clownfish are conspecies agressive I've seen multiple tanks with 3-4 clownfish in them.

I just posted in your FOR SALE thread but Ill copy it here.

You keep 3 clowns together, but only if the third was a juvenile. So you would have a female, male, and an unsexed juvi. But it sounds that with the naked she is already developed as a female, so what with create problems with her and the female b&w.

Ocellaris clowns are the most likely to accept a 3rd or even 4th clown, but you will never have 2 pairs. Just a female male, and everything else will stay an adolescent. If the male or female were to die, the next in line would take its place. So if the female would die, the male will turn female and a adolescent will turn male. Or if a male were to die, the most dominate adolescent will turn male.

You're already questioning it yourself which means that you have doubts. It's a relatively small tank, so just keep the pair and get rid of the loner. The clownfish will thank you.

i have 3 in one tank right now (only a 90) but as said above one was a juvi while the other was a pair.

i have a friend who is not really into reefing and just has a tank that is maintained and he has 5 or sick percs in his tank that somehow get along just fine but i think they were introduced at the same time.

hope it goes well but rob has a good point, if your worried now.....i stil say keep an eye on it and if it works woot, if not just take em out.

Solo is fine, a pair is better, 5+ is a "pod" and that is good too. 3 or 4 often a problem, the smallest gets picked on too much.

IMHO you have to pick a color. B&W, "nemo" or Naked... mix and match at your own risk. I know, they are the same species, but 99% of the time raised from fry with only like-looking clowns, and don't recognise others as the same. Of course, get over 300 gallons or so and there is enough space for more than one pair.

Well, we were wrong. I came home today and all 3 were under the rock where the pair used to stay. I found a home for the naked clownfish and neted her up. I was so reluctent though as the 3 were peacefully sleeping and when I turned the the light on the two bigger clownfish did mating type rituals. Anyway shes in the refugium awaiting her new owner I guess I'll never know!