GOT BABIES, berghai nudibranch>woohoo

Der ABT

well ive managed to keep them alive long enough to see some little ones. been a pain as i didnt really have an aiptasia garden ready (cept in my tank) so i end up plucking them out of the tank fairly often and putting them in the nudi tank. Trying to get a solid population together before i put them in my main.

So far ive counted about 6 or 7 babies (very very small so hard to see) but hopefully they make it to being bigger along with some others that have or havent hatched yet.

Ive had them set up in a 10g for about a month now (just prior to the last meeting)and just like our speaker said, i was ready to give up and then went WOOOO what is that little moving speck.

I tried to get a pic but have no macro lense so its not really visable, ill see if i can somehow make it work later.

just thought i would share my excitement.

If anyone is in dire need of them as I am (my tank is nuts as i reused some craigslist rock that has been nothing but problems....lesson learned) Ill be posting up later whenever they get a little bigger/if my luck continues for those who need them.

Like to give a big thanks to Reefs for making this possible...

Congratulations on the early success! What did you do overall to encourage or set up for this? What's the secret of success?

haha just coming back to edit a little of the first post but no secrets really, little google research then trial and error/listening to the speaker and reading what copps had posted.

Did a little research via google and then kinda tried some things out, failed the first time....I had one and some eggs i ended up putting in the tank in a small overflow acrylic box i usually use to acclimate fish as i can make it out of the water or move it down enough to use the tank water as well. it ended up filling up with pods and then the adult nudi disappeared, moved it into the frag tank just in case the eggs made it with a little piece of rock and some aiptasia in there..and my wopping 2 mangroves then forgot about it.

Started up my 10g qt/hospital tank that usually sits dry. used old tank water from a water change done during lights on in hopes of not getting a ton of pods (they can be a pest for nudi/eggs) used an airstone and a heater, plucked a bunch of aiptasia of all sizes from gigantic to small and dropped in 2 adult nudi's and a cover to stop evap.

read copps and a few others saying that aiptasia tend to reproduce faster in high flow...BIG MISTAKE as i put the pump in the same tank the nudi's were in and of course 2 of them crawled in there and got chopped up...but lived somehow. they liked hanging out on the pump so i just unplugged it and left it in there.

SO basically if you want to add flow for aiptasia do it in a seperate tank.

Keep it low light and the aiptasia will send of new polyp aiptasia faster supposedly. DO not put any live rock in the nudi tank, bristle worms and pods/etc will sometime eat/hunt nudi's and nudi eggs.

then one day i took out a nori clip to refill from my frag tank and noticed something funny in the middle, hey a nudi woo hoo dropped him in the 10g, then few days later notice another one in the initial overflow box, wohoo up to 4 adults/subadults in my "breeding 10g"....maybe more i havent seen.

Then i just do a 95% water change (approx 6 of around 7 gal) change once a week. Add aiptasia as needed, well technically as time would allow me to "harvest" them from my tank..then comes patience, i probably look every day to see if i can still count the adults which got annoying but was promising they stayed alive.

it has been a little over a month/month and a half (guessing the adults werent technically adults yet so the eggs may not have been viable). they lay eggs all the time in little strands that are usually circular.

they can eat anywhere from 0-5 aiptasia a day per adult - had them in a little tupperware for the first week doing daily water changes and they would plow thru the aiptasia and could be all sizes from nickle size aiptasia (4 a day) to little ones 5-7 a day.. then they may not eat for a few days

Now im filling my 10g every 3-5 days or so trying to keep a good base of food for them.

boy thas more work then i thought now that i write it out.

they are very cool looking and really only thing i do is add aiptasia, so if you start aiptaisia in a bare tank/ No rock etc just a bare tank, do close to 100 percent water chagnes weekly and feed the heck out of it till you have a good population of aiptasia, add nudi's and dont feed as much (keep water quality a little better) then wait, and if you are about to give up wait 2 more weeks and then get out the magnifying glass.

very cool project..my wife found it nuts till i told her they can go for like 15 a piece online why not try to make a close to free colony...I hope to be able to spread the wealth especially once i rid my main tank of aiptasia.

sorry to be long winded.

• 3 weeks later...

I am up to about 20 to 25 now, still getting some straggling little guys that are really hard to see, i think i only have a few taht are close to maturity....i still have not put any in my tank (the reason for breeding these guys) but i will update as soon as any are ready....which should not bee too much longer, i want to see them laying eggs first.

there are a few in line already, i will try to keep track of who asked first but if i forget you im sorry (if you can provide a copy of pm time etc id be happy to add ya i think there are 3 or 4 in line now)

ill post up a list as soon as they start getting ready.

As i have told a few others, if you have the time (not too much required, i strongly suggest getting a small tank 1-10 gallons (i have a 10 gallon bare tank that was my qt tank that i just change the water weekly with my regular water change)and getting an aiptasia population together, it takes a while to see the babies but once they start coming its great, i was about to clean out the tank and give up and then i saw my first baby the next day....so you can start wtih 2 or so and then get a population in about 2 months id say. I started with 3 in january for a time frame reference

Do a little research on predators etc and make sure they work in your tank.

ill try to get some pics up as they are a bit bigger now.

WoW congrats. I am in for a purchase as i got aptasia issue in my tank. But again wow congrats.

ok well most of the bigger guys have eggs visable now and three actually laid eggs last night so the time is near, im going to use a few for my tank, spread the wealth a little and hope that i have some more to finish off my tank.

right now there are 5 on the list besides myself

Since the list is a little bigger then i thought (since i was doing it just for me haha) ill start getting in touch with people soon to see what they are looking for numbers wise. Hopefully i can get to everyone but no promises to anyone or that i will be able to go in order of contact thought thats what im shooting for but number of nudi's wanted will be considered too.

anyways when i get time i can post the pics i took (hopefully next week as im super busy

LETS GO CAPS!!!!!

Ok I think i have gotten in touch with everyone, I should be able to cover all who have requested, If i have not pmd you please let me know.

Right now i have 20+ adults laying eggs like crazy and a bunch of lill guys showing eggsacks in their belly already. (will have a few less once people pick them up)

i put in about 30 aiptasia saturday to find 1 on sunday night (freaking nuts and a pain to keep collecting them but amazing how much they eat when hungry)

I still have not put any in my tank for fear of depleting the food source so hopefully i can meet up with everyone this week or weekend. when i do ill be taking before and afters

Ill have some pics up hopefully tonight if i get time.

Really gotta say its fun having them in the tank and its goign to be weird when i break it down or if i decide to keep them goign and have to buy aiptasia (lots of it)

SO if anyone else wants some please let me know asap so i can decide whether to keep a few going or put the rest in the tank and hopefully watch a full blown erradication of my aiptasia forrest(either post up here or pm me) :clap:

Right now most are being smart and going to attempt their own breeding to get a good number of them. Just be sure your patient as the babies will one day appear even if the parents die off (though they shouldnt)

I still have not put any in my tank for fear of depleting the food source so hopefully i can meet up with everyone this week or weekend. when i do ill be taking before and afters

THIS is the sign of a true reefer :)

Won't put the berghias in his tank for fear of them eating all the precious aiptasia. LOL

Evan I have a ton of aiptasia you can harvest from my overflow, very easy to reach, probably 100 large 2"+ anemones.

(edited)

reading my mind, finally the pics as promised

Justin leave me alone haha, things are growing great I am just getting sick of the aiptasia but the more of these things i have the faster it goes (hopefully)

here goes

little reproducing groups style:clap:

IMG_9237.jpg

one on one

IMG_9235.jpg

IMG_9236.jpg

an some lill guys

IMG_9112.jpg

IMG_9113.jpg

random coral(food source in back haha)sorry its so blue didnt feel like setting the white balance correctly. wonder if i can fit any more frags in there (yeh i have a problem that will be fixed with a bigger tank one day after we move)

IMG_9114.jpg

Edited by Der ABT

Evan,

I hate to say this, but there is no way you will run out of aiptasia in your display tank ;) In fact, if you put a couple of berghia in there, you will have a population explosion of nudis everywhere.

Edited by overklok

thanks to all that came out and grabbed a few, ive heard some have already laid eggs. Hopefully they do good for everyone. Was really good to talk to you all and meet some new people.

Those that are still on the waiting list ill be in touch soon, i have some youngins getting bigger by the day and ill be in touch soon

if anyone else is looking for some let me know asap as im getting tired of harvesting aiptasia and am soon to release them into the tank.

anyone who got some pics are always welcome.

oh geez i hope my wife still loves me

ok ill have to add you guys to the list (im trying to go in order but may skip around based on needs etc) I should be able to get some more out the door the weekend after this.

I will try to PM everyone and get some estimates of the numbers your looking for (with this many i may need to limit the number i give away, i do want to put them in my tank one day but these precious aiptasia are a pain in the...... to harvest)

Ill be in touch soon.

• 3 weeks later...

figured id update, good and bad news

went out of town for a race and came back to a few deaths but still have some babies appearing here and there....

so for those still waiting i just need some more time, also goign to put some in my own tank soon as the aiptasia is driving me nuts.

so as soon as i can ill post up that more are available.

Evan

• 1 month later...

Any updates? How are they doing?

If you get a good crop, I'll take 5-6 of them.

Cheers

Mike

Well actually have been slacking on alot of things reef with racing season in full swing. I have a new tank build started and paused but with that said still have the nudi's going

I have tons of eggs and am waiting for the new hatch to become visible. Things have been going good only lost a few here and there. basically have about 8-10 of these guys as parents and have had a bit of a long streak without seeing new babies (had a few weeks of travel is what i blame) but hopefully in the next few weeks i shuld see some more.

Of course the aiptasia in my tank seem to not be spreading as fast so picking food is a little more time consuming (time i dont have) but hopefully i will see a good increase in the population and be able to get some out, i know there are still alot of people wanting them so bear with me...

Like to give a big thanks to Reefs for making this possible...

You are very welcome, I am happy that you got them going well, just make sure that you have plenty of aiptasia ready if you want to keep breeding them, mine disapeared completely (the aiptasia and the berghia).

I am back to saltwater again, but just a nano reef at this moment.

• 7 months later...

Thought i would update since its been a long while

Everything is actually going very well, back up to a population explosion

going actually put some in my tank this time...i know what am i thinking

at one point actually had no Nudi's and only a couple egg sacks.....now i have ALOT of berghia and will try to get some pics tonight.

With racing season starting back up I am thinking about breaking down the set up..reason i had almost none before was lack of time to keep up with water changes. i dont want to stop as they are really cool creatures but it may be time.