Its a sad day when I hear this......

johnnybv

I just have to post this, and to whoever this was, this is by no means a personal attack, I didnt speak with you, you can do what ever you want.

We had a call today where someone asked if we had a specific product (a high dollar item) in stock. We do, and the customer asked us if we could hold it until Sunday, we said sure with a credit card, no problem. He did not want to give us his card over the phone, so we could not hold it for him. His response was I'm a WAMAS member, which didnt make a differance in holding a $500 item, which by the way was the same exact price online. He then said well, I'm just going to buy it online then. First off do you really think putting your credit card into an online site is more secure than verbally giving to an employee? Second thanks for suppoorting your LFS and your WAMAS Premium sponsor!

As Sonny said (yes I am sideing with Mr Coral) we bust our butts to bring you the best products at reasonable prices, whether its dry goods or livestock. Then to have it in stock and be able to provide support to you....

Just had to get that off my back as I am being asked to donate $500+ to remain a WAMAS sponsor......

John

I appreciate everything you do...looking forward to getting up there to get the tank and set up soon. Then filling the tank up. Keep it up.

Thanks

Mike

Sad very sad. I hate people who think membership brings them power to do and ask for anything. I bet if you go anywhwere to buy anything you have to pay right away and asking someone to hold something of high dollar should be paid in advance if you really want to buy it. This shows the person just wanted a backup incase they do not get a better deal somewhere else. SAD and very disapointed.

Lame of that person, actually it's probably even more secure with ya'll just to hold then providing it over online forms, but oh well, to each his own. I am happy that I came out for the event last month and picked up two cute and very sociable fish that are doing great (Rabbitfish and Sailfin Tang). The rabbit has pretty much taken care of my Valonia issue, woo hoo. So thanks Johnny for being a PREMIUM SUPER DUPER VENDOr.

To each his own but I hope this lack of support is in the minority when it comes to our membership.

To each his own but I hope this lack of support is in the minority when it comes to our membership.

lets hope so.

Sorry to hear, Johnny. Indeed, very sad. I, too, hope the lack of support of one of our excellent sponsors is the minority.

Yo John,

Sorry to hear about this situation. You and everyone at BRK has shown to me...and proven to all of us.... time and time again of your support of the marine aquatic hobby and your drive to keep prices more than comparable with online vendors even before I became a member of the WAMAS family. My hats off to you and everyone over there.

Mike

At the risk of being attacked. I will fully admit that it was me that called. The reason I asked for the item to be held is that I live about an hour and a half away from BRK and didn't want to make the drive all the way down there Sunday just to find out the item was sold already. When I was told that I would have to give my card over the phone. I most definetly said that I was not comfrotable with that. It is far more likely to get your credit card information stolen by giving the full number to someone over the phone then it is using a secure website from a reputable online dealer. And yes I did state that I was a WAMAS member. I said this because I figured as a premium sponser BRK would know that the membership here is trustworthy and will pick up something they are asking to be held. As for not supporting a LFS. I was trying to support a premium sponser and a fish store an hour an a half away. So I think saying that I didn't support a LFS is a little wrong since that is exaclty what I was trying to do. I always buy from LFS's when they have what I need and have more than once highly overpaid for items because of it and have no problem with it because it is supporting my LFS. In this case the only person local to me to carry the APEX system (that's what I asked to be held) is BRK so I went to them first for the item. I didn't ask the price just called to make sure they had one and asked for it to be held. Again just trying to support my LFS. I really hope this doesn't turn into some huge argument here. I just figured I would put it out there that it was me. I apologize if I offended you but I don't feel like what I did was wrong. This also doesn't mean I wouldn't get anything from you in the future but just not this item.

Darrell

Darrell,

It is always nice to hear the other side of the story as it paints a clearer picture and I don't see any reason why you should be attacked. It comes down to you tried to support BRK but it just didn't work out because a personal comfort level was not meet. Yes, driving three hours for the same priced item you could have delivered to your door would make me change my mind too I think. To me that kind of drive goes beyond what I call my "local" fish store.

Johnny,

Could you setup an online payment system on your website or another site so potential customers calling in to the store could be directed to go pay securely with a credit card to hold any items like that? Just an idea.

Darrell,

It is always nice to hear the other side of the story as it paints a clearer picture and I don't see any reason why you should be attacked. It comes down to you tried to support BRK but it just didn't work out because a personal comfort level was not meet. Yes, driving three hours for the same priced item you could have delivered to your door would make me change my mind too I think. To me that kind of drive goes beyond what I call my "local" fish store.

Johnny,

Could you setup an online payment system on your website or another site so potential customers calling in to the store could be directed to go pay securely with a credit card to hold any items like that? Just an idea.

our website already has a shopping cart and secure payment options, I dont know if I have put the apex up there yet because I cant keep them in stock. But in this case I could have easily added it. I was not looking to find out who this was, I wanted to simply point out the frustrations of an LFS, whichi is why no names or even products were used in my rant. There are too many people that think we are making a killing when in fact we fight every week to keep our doors open....Its all good, and I dont want to lose a customer over this but I dissagree with the secure credit card thing, I would much rather give it over the phone than to put it out there on the net.

john

100% agree with not feeling comfortable giving credit card information over the phone. Perhaps directing the customer to the website to provide a more secure means for the customer to provide the card information, or simply agreeing to hold the item for 24 hours or the like might have been a more useful and mutually beneficial solution to this scenario. Rather than this "Sad day..." posting?

Sadly, some of the better vendors in our area are certainly a hike for many of us. Having to call and verify availability or rely upon timely updates to stock lists are necessary, at least for me, before making an hour + trip and back. A little understanding of this might secure a few more sales.

Perhaps this should be a seperate post but I have a question. Regarding the "WAMAS Premium Sponsor" program, I am wondering just what is the tangible benefit to WAMAS members? I get the exposure, direct marketing, and dedicated forum benefits to the vendors but how do the members benefit? Other than off-setting operating costs of the site of course.

I understand there is a 10% member discount offered by some vendors but apparently this is not a requirement of the "Premium Sponsor" program.

Example:

Pristine Aquariums in Alexandria = NOT a "WAMAS Premium Spnsor" = Does offer a 10% member discount

Bue Ribbon Koi = "WAMAS Premiun Sponsor" = Does NOT offer a 10% member discount

I am NOT looking to start a big deal, just looking for a clarification and better understanding. Maybe a list of those vendors who do offer member discounts would be good to post as a sticky?

Edited by RagTopMan

100% agree with not feeling comfortable giving credit card information over the phone. Perhaps directing the customer to the website to provide a more secure means for the customer to provide the card information, or simply agreeing to hold the item for 24 hours or the like might have been a more useful and mutually beneficial solution to this scenario. Rather than this "Sad day..." posting?

Sadly, some of the better vendors in our area are certainly a hike for many of us. Having to call and verify availability or rely upon timely updates to stock lists are necessary, at least for me, before making an hour + trip and back. A little understanding of this might secure a few more sales.

Perhaps this should be a seperate post but I have a question. Regarding the "WAMAS Premium Sponsor" program, I am wondering just what is the tangible benefit to WAMAS members? I get the exposure, direct marketing, and dedicated forum benefits to the vendors but how do the members benefit? Other than off-setting operating costs of the site of course.

I understand there is a 10% member discount offered by some vendors but apparently this is not a requirement of the "Premium Sponsor" program.

Example:

Pristine Aquariums in Alexandria = NOT a "WAMAS Premium Spnsor" = Does offer a 10% member discount

I am NOT looking to start a big deal, just looking for a clarification and better understanding. Maybe a list of those vendors who do offer member discounts would be good to post as a sticky?

Look under Store and Vendor Discounts at the top of the Vendor News forum.

(edited)

Example:

I am NOT looking to start a big deal, just looking for a clarification and better understanding. Maybe a list of those vendors who do would be good to post as a sticky?

I will leave the benifit explaination to your officers. I would also ask what do vendors get for $1000 a year while your at it. As far as asking us to hold a $500 item that could be sold to a walk in customer at any time we need some assurance that you are actually going to come and get it. I cant count the amount of times I have held things for customers and they never come in for them, its just not smart business. Now if that call was stating they would be in today for it, it would have been a different story, but this was a call on friday for us to hold till Sunday. We can not afford to do this therefore a lost sale is a "sad day". As far as BRK not offering a 10% discount, we price everything as low as we can from the get go, and can not offer any additional discount on a regular basis. I had a customer the other day tell me he was going to go somewhere else to get salt because they had it at %20 off, once we verified the base price that the store was charging, after their so called "discount" we were still cheaper. So if its a list of stores that offer a discount you want, BRK wont be on it, but if you want a list of stores that ALWAYS have the best prices, we would be at the top of the list.

john

John

Edited by johnnybv

Ragtop et all,

We could very easily argue that WAMAS members are getting the best benefit out of this sponsorship program. A premium sponsor will donate $1000 worth of cash, goods, or livestock to the club for use in meeting raffles, fragfest (free frags for goodness sake!), schools, and other projects. Raffles help defer the costs of bringing in speakers, their travel costs, etc... In return, they do get the advertising on the site, and listings as sponsors on the direct mailings etc.. I really think most of our sponsors are donating because they are hobbyists like us, and enjoy giving back, and less for the advertising. If more interested in the vendor terms of service, and sponsorship levels, email officers@wamas.org and we will can explain it im more detail (with the multipage doc).

Keep in mind, for every $20 spent in sponsoring LFS stores (for that quarter), you get raffle tickets for the wonderful prizes that they graciously donate. So keep your reciept for that quarterly meeting! Get to the meetings, there are always lots to to win!

Just an FYI I have received 2 calls from other LFS applauding me for this post, they experience the same issues and appreciate it being brought to light.

john

I can attest to BRK being there for me when I needed some Pond supplies last summer. I'm not sure how but I blew out my 40w UV bulb and ballast (or whatever it's called), called Ozzie and found out that the parts were IN STOCK and he said he'd hold them for me for the one hour drive it would take for me to get there.

Again, as Johnny said, that was for the same day - I would have understood if he was unwilling to hold them for 2-3 days for me.