Kuroshio Sea - 2nd largest indoor tank

thewire

Very neat..Baltimore National Aquarium like a LFS compared to them...the national aquarium sucks anyway..the Australian display is a waste of space..rain forest is a waste of space (I pay to see aquatic life ..not some rainforest sloth)

I've been here - on my return trip to Okinawa a few years ago. The thing is huge! Standing there at the base of the acrylic walls of this tank makes you feel really small.

By the way, this aquarium is on the site of the world exposition, Expo '75. I was there for that, too, back when we were stationed there in '74-76. (The aquarium was not there, then, though. It was built later.)

According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okinawa_Churaumi_Aquarium), it's the Georgia Aquarium (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Aquarium) by more than a factor of 4.

The GA aquarium is incredible!!! I visited it shortly after it opened when in town for the Sugar Bowl (WVU/UGA game that the Mountaineers won!).

Think big.....big enough for FOUR WHALE SHARKS......

It was awesome!!!

Matt

The GA aquarium is incredible!!! I visited it shortly after it opened when in town for the Sugar Bowl (WVU/UGA game that the Mountaineers won!).

I wonder how they maintain water quality there? At the Churaumi Aquarium (where the Kuroshio Sea tank is), they continuously exchange the water in the tank with sea water taken from 350 yards offshore.

Can you imagine what a 10% water change would be like at GA? (Now, I'm positive that they don't do this, but let's just say they did.) Eight hundred thousand gallons of change water? At 75 gallons per day, my little RO/DI setup could produce that kind of water in ... let's see... 29 years! It would also take 5000 buckets of Instant Ocean.

i would imagine you don't water change that often since such a big volume of water and probably there is plenty behind the scene. Also you dont have much corals in there..so minerals are not a factor ...

i would imagine you don't water change that often since such a big volume of water and probably there is plenty behind the scene. Also you dont have much corals in there..so minerals are not a factor ...

You've missed my point. It's not the need. It's the idea - the sheer magnitude of the water volume that's in this beast..

"Now, I'm positive that they don't do this, but let's just say they did."

Plenty of water behind the scenes? This is an 8,000,000 gallon aquarium (system). I'd like to see the Rubbermaid Brute they use for this one.

I wonder what kind of salt mix the large public aquariums use. Maybe they just use plain rock salt instead of buying a truck load of boxes of IO. Does any one know?

You've missed my point. It's not the need. It's the idea - the sheer magnitude of the water that's in this beast..

"Now, I'm positive that they don't do this, but let's just say they did."

Plenty of water behind the scenes? This is an 8,000,000 gallon aquarium. I'd like to see the Rubbermaid Brute they use for this one.

H-E-double hockey sticks, I'd like to see the RODI that's filling the Brute!

I wonder what kind of salt mix the large public aquariums use. Maybe they just use plain rock salt instead of buying a truck load of boxes of IO. Does any one know?

It was IO. I have to search for the pic

I took a trip to the Georgia Aquarium a couple years ago, it was great.

They have a chunk of the acrylic used to build the viewing wall setting out to touch and look at, it is huge.

This tank looks very similar, even similar inhabitants (capped off by the whale sharks)

I saw a documentary a while back I'm pretty sure was Georgia Aquarium where they talked about the water changes.

They showed using a forklift to move the containers of IO salt they mix up. One single container had about the volume of a car. They held it up with a forklift and opened it from the bottom and the salt all fell into what I presume was a mixing tank.

Wow,

georgia-aquarium-8.jpg plus Titan-40000-2T.jpg

equals mega bucks!!

Now, if it were a reef... imagine the calcium reactor that would feed it next!

Edited by Chad

The filtration system on the whale shark tank at the GA aquarium can turn over the entire tank (6 million gallons?) in ~45 minutes - seriously.

I went a few times when I lived in Alabama... close proximity to Atlanta is probably the best part of living in Alabama!! They hold professional meetings in the ATL area all the time and will usually rent out the the aquarium for a night , with lots of free food and drinks, its pretty awesome :)