IceCap Files for Bankruptcy?

Brian Ward

Too bad if they did. There's no news on their site, though. Hopefully they can find investors and honor the warranty on outstanding product and possibly repair old. I have six of their ballasts at this point (five in use and one spare).

darn, I have been trying to get a hold of them for a few warranty ballasts.....I guess that answers that question.

May I suggest Sunlight Supply galaxy ballasts for replacment, I dont think they are going anywhere and their ballasts have like a 3 or 5 year warranty...

john

trying to get Icecap to do anything right now is next to impossible. Ive been trying to get some replacement parts and i was calling and leaving messages for a week straight. luckily champion had them.

Chris is now working for VUE, and I believe pretty much everyone who made icecap "Icecap" are gone.

the vue ballasts are nice and dimmable for around the same price as the icecaps. that being said they have alot of new lighting products out there.

sean

Chris is now working for VUE, and I believe pretty much everyone who made icecap "Icecap" are gone.

That's what I heard...........lost a lot of knowledge & the replacements didn't work out so well. It also seems like they went wrong going into fixtures, a place where they never really had the "it" product. Combine that with a tough economy & you're finished.

Solution found:

LED

I would not be able to afford LED lights for the 265. I know in the long run they save money, but it would be really expensive to get it set up.

Edited by lhcorals

I would not be able to afford LED lights for the 265. I know in the long run they save money, but it would be really expensive to get it set up.

I'm hoping that when I start my next build (early 2012) LEDs will be down in price.

Wow, z2k hijacks another thread. At least he hasn't preached the skimmerless glib in awhile. biggrin.gif

Glenn, I think you are not alone there. Once the price comes down I am sure most will make the switch.

That's what I heard...........lost a lot of knowledge & the replacements didn't work out so well. It also seems like they went wrong going into fixtures, a place where they never really had the "it" product. Combine that with a tough economy & you're finished.

+1

Wow, z2k hijacks another thread. At least he hasn't preached the skimmerless glib in awhile. biggrin.gif

HAHA :clap:

Rumor on the street would be Icecap was sold to a company down in Florida and the Chap 11 is a way to hopefully write off some of the debt while they get all their ducks in a row.

Stay tuned...

Glenn, I think you are not alone there. Once the price comes down I am sure most will make the switch.

Well that would depend on features :biggrin: As long as some *sshat is patent camping those with dimming aren't coming down anytime soon...........for those that don't dim we've seen some nice price drops.

Guest thefishman65

According to several things I have read recently 60-70 watts of LEDs is the same as a 250 MH. If you DIY it the price is in the range of $200-$250 I believe.

Yep. Hijacked. Started out as an IceCap Bankruptcy thread and now we're talking LED's? Let's try to stay on topic or maybe start another LED thread.

To get this thread back on topic.

I found this over at RC:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18053502

Over the weekend I lost one of my 250W 20K's from my Icecap light. I always keep a spare so replacement was only 15 minutes. The factory for Icecap is half way between my office and home so I generally stop by to buy bulbs and parts directly from them. Everyone there has been great.

On the way home from work yesterday I stopped by the factory and everything was dark. Nobody home. I drove around the back of the building and found a loading dock open and somebody inside. I asked the person, who turned out to be one of the owners, when they would reopen, assuming they were already closed for the day. His response was "never". The brand, Icecap, has been sold and they are officially closed down, out of business.

He did graciously offer to have me look for the bulbs I wanted so I went inside and looked around. Everything is being boxed to ship or dispose of. I had a really nice conversation with the owner there. As usual people always have issues with companies and their support but I must say that I have always found them to be responsive and a huge help. I am sorry to see these guys go.

I want to say good luck to the owners of IceCap and thanks for the bulbs yesterday and the support you have provided to me. He is not sure how the new brand owners will be handling parts and service as of yet. He apologized for that but as I already realized, it's now out of their hands. I still like my fixture and intend to keep it running.

If any local reef groups swing by the place and somebody is there you will get a great assortment of miscellaneous bulbs and parts that they are willing to donate to a club.

To get this thread back on topic.

I found this over at RC:

http://www.reefcentr....php?p=18053502

Sounds like the debt holders successfully took control of the company or the (likely) VC equity holders successfully replaced the current management to try and get their investment back on track. Either way, it's good to know that IceCap is under new management and we need to think of them as a new brand rather than the company we have come to trust.

This sucks. I had sent back 2 ballasts for service. Now it looks like I'm going to have to deal with getting them back while no one answers the phone... ugh!

If you call and hit 10 for the receptionist you get an interesting message. "We have hit a trough in our business cycle...."

If you have issues with it, my bet is that your only recourse is to attempt to file with the courts. Find out where they filed for bankruptcy and then file a claim as an unsecured creditor. This basically means you'll get nothing, but it's better than no chance at all.

If you have issues with it, my bet is that your only recourse is to attempt to file with the courts. Find out where they filed for bankruptcy and then file a claim as an unsecured creditor. This basically means you'll get nothing, but it's better than no chance at all.

You'll only get nothing if they liquidate. But filing a claim against the company in bankruptcy court will give you standing and the new company that emerges will hold your liability.