mp40 owners

Der ABT

been seeing a ton for sale these days and just wanted to see everyones opinions of them, problems encountered etc.

Ive heard alot that love them but just as many that hate them and think they are the worst pumps they have ever owned.

I know they are not directional but wanted to see if anyone else has opinions.

Ive been a cheapo forever and stuck with koralias and used tunze's i found really cheap. is it worth thinking about a switch?

I have mp10s, and while I like the water movement a lot, they're pretty noisy compared to the tunze's that I used to own.

Edited by amay121

I have an MP10. They "whine" a little at full power. Kind of like a supercharger for lack of better comparison . . . . I keep mine at about 75% power. The waterflow however is awesome. Also, keeping the heat/electricity out of the tank is a big plus in my book. The spread of the flow is pretty wide. I was worried about not being able to aim it where I wanted, but it is not really an issue to be honest. They have the MP60 out now as well, but the price is VERY high.

I used to have a few koralia nano's, and switching to the MP10 is a great change for my tank.

I have never used Tunze's.

I like the MP40 I use on my sump tank. But, I dont think the vortech/tunze difference is huge. To me it is non-directional but no electrical components in the tank for vortech vs. directional but bulky for tunze. 6 to one, half dozen to the other. In the end, cost (with a controller on the tunze) is about the same, service (I have heard with vortech and experienced with tunze, Roger Vitko is AWESOME) seems to be about the same.

For me, I maintain my tank a bit cooler than most (~72F), so every component I can get out of the water is important to me, which is why I added a vortech. Otherwise, I would have gone with tunze.

I have two mp 40 in my 75

As long as you space the powerheads correctly they are wonderfull. The flow is very good, the whole water column is affected. They took a big hunk of change, but I have had no problems and really like the amount of space that is not taken up inside the tank and the heat that is outside the tank.

Of course we can talk about the programming of the unit, but it works very well for me.

My only issue is placement of two mp40 ES in my new cube tank, it may be a bit much!

I have MP40's in several applications. I'm very happy with them and the outstanding customer service if any problems arise. They move a ton of water in a huge pattern and are very unobtrusive. The clean lines and small size works so much better than Koralias, Tunzes,etc.

I have two MP40W's. They move a lot of water and take up little space inside the tank. I had a few problems initially that were solved very quickly by their customer service department. These were mostly early design issues that needed correction. They need regular maintenance to keep them clean, but mine have run quietly and smoothly since.

I have two MP40W's. They move a lot of water and take up little space inside the tank. I had a few problems initially that were solved very quickly by their customer service department. These were mostly early design issues that needed correction. They need regular maintenance to keep them clean, but mine have run quietly and smoothly since.

Good customer service...really? Hmmm...I emailed them a couple of questions/concerns/problems several days ago and have not heard back. I have two first generation MP40's with the following problems.

1) Rubber mat that goes on the dry side is disintegrating on both. Holes have worn through. There new online parts store does not carry them.

2) One of the units has started to slip down the outside of my tank which eventually causes the whole unit to disengage. The wet side falls on my corals...the dry side rattles against the glass until I hear it and fix it. It just started doing this about a month ago...I have no idea why...it happens about once a week.

3) The other unit is noisy as heck. I have it oscillating between high and low flow and its "whir/whine" is very noticeable and annoying. The second unit...the one that falls once a week is completely quiet on the same setting...go figure.

4) Programming instructions are not very clear. Perhaps they fixed this on second generation units.

Overall I like them...and want to stay with them. I just wish there customer service would contact me...

I had an PM40 but the noise was too much for the den. I could here it humming upstairs so it had to go.

I had an issue a month after I bought it and I sent it back on Monday and Wednesday I had it repaired free of charge and back in my tank. Awesome turn around time!