Another PetSmart story...

extreme_tooth_decay

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, me too. I mean it isn't a safety concern after all, the tank is holding water currently.

Tim, I think your letter looks good.

What I liked was that the guy on the phone already knew the store and complaint I was talking about when I mentioned a broken center brace and a safety concern.

I'm encouraged. Maybe they do read these things over at corporate. They did give you the address for your letter, though, right? Looks good, by the way.

I'm encouraged. Maybe they do read these things over at corporate. They did give you the address for your letter, though, right? Looks good, by the way.

I am encouraged as well. I was pleasantly surprised the guy already knew about the issue without looking anything up. It was also nice that he seemed concerned and not angry, combative, loud, etc.

They gave me the same address that Chad posted. I mailed the paper letter and also used the online form to send the same letter. Would've use fax but they don't have one.

^awesome! they exceeded my 3-5 day expectation.

I just talked to mark the store manager and they are draining the tank now and it will be destroyed. He has gotten 40 emails about it today.

Ah, Mark, yes that is the guy I mentioned previously in this thread that seemed like a good guy to me before.

That is good news.

This is a great example of us all pulling together and getting something done.

I'll try to resist the temptation to find out when **** is working and go have a triumphant word with her.

Edited by davelin315
name removed

Awesome job! Where would the 40 e-mails have come from though?

Probably all from people on this forum. There are more people that read everything on the boards than you know ....

Go ahead, Tim, make her day. :laugh:

Well, I went by there, not specifically to find her, but not going to shy away if I did see her...

I can confirm the water is out of the tank and the for sale sign is gone. The gap in the center brace is also gone, as expected. That was quite a big gap. Surprising how much flex glass and silicone have.

I also took a closer look at the silicone on the seams. I am about 99% sure it has been re-siliconed both inside and out. Not an especially nice job, either. The most likely scenario I can think of is that the center brace broke, it started leaking, they re-siliconed it, and set it up for sale, citing an outrageous "sticker price" of $3200 to sell it fast. But that is just speculation.

And alas, I didn't see my buddy ****.

Edited by davelin315
name removed

I come home tonight to a message on my cell from Mark.

He said that he had contacted the manufacturer regarding the various comments he had received (Marineland), who confirmed that the brace was indeed a structural support member. Mark went on to say that he would take the tank down and destroy it by morning. Finally he said that he responds immediately to all safety concerns raised and, once confirmed, takes appropriate action.

I have to admit that I am impressed that the tank is empty now. I guess I can continue to buy my dog and cat food there :)

I am glad it is empty. Was Mark there?

I didn't see him, but didn't look too hard. Figured I had equal chance of another negative encounter with ****.

I come home tonight to a message on my cell from Mark.

He said that he had contacted the manufacturer regarding the various comments he had received (Marineland), who confirmed that the brace was indeed a structural support member. Mark went on to say that he would take the tank down and destroy it by morning. Finally he said that he responds immediately to all safety concerns raised and, once confirmed, takes appropriate action.

I have to admit that I am impressed that the tank is empty now. I guess I can continue to buy my dog and cat food there :)

That sounds like the actions of a responsible manager.

I'd like to know what he has to say about ****. I specifically told her that the manufacturer would confirm it is a structural member.

Edited by davelin315
name removed

extreme_tooth_decay I was present when you supposedly expressed your concerns for the tank. I overheard the conversation and I'd like to make a few things perfectly clear.

1) YOU did not identify yourself first, you instantly went in berating Erin.

2) Erin is not a store manager, but the department manager and was the manager on duty at the time.

3) Instead of nicely telling her what was going on, you immediately started acting like she needed to break down that tank because it was "a ticking time bomb".

4) She explained to you what they were doing with the tank. She never once raised her voice at you and was actually very open to what you had to say. You were the one freaking out over it, your voice got very high, and you were practically demanding she do something that very moment. I had even shown interest in it, did my own investigating of it and found that if I had been serious about buying it, I could have replaced the top.

5) You are correct in saying you were wrong about the supposed patch job. Those seals on the side are from Perfecto. I came from the store today to verify all your claims, and verified this myself.

6) Why didn't any of you approach the management before going into this forum talking out your *****? I am sure that any one of them would not have brushed you off as you claim. I know Erin personally, she takes her department very seriously. She has helped me with every fish and reptile I have purchased there and accusing her of not caring or endangering human or animal life couldn't be more further from the truth.

The fact of the matter is this. If any of you had cared as much as you claimed, you wouldn't have waited this long to make complaints. You would have given the store a chance before going on your little campaign. I was at the store at 7 AM (their doors are open that early) to buy crickets and minnows, saw Erin working on getting the emptied. We talked for a bit and she said that she was breaking it down because of Mr. Decay and that she had texted her store manager to tell him what had happened that night. She decided to empty it then because it was less traffic. I told her that I had heard what went down and what I saw on here. If you guys had just given any of them a chance, you would have got your results peacefully instead of making a bad name for all of you.

I am sure all of you will just ****** to know she is personally taking a sledge hammer to the tank tomorrow sometime. She jokingly mentioned something about Youtube.

Now why don't you guys go harass some store that doesn't care about their pets... like Wal-mart or Petco. You make PETA look tame.

I am sure there will be some backlash on this from Mr. Decay and the rest of his lackies. However, it will not be entertained any further by me. Enjoy commiserating over this like some buzzards on a carcass.

Edited by davelin315
Inappropriate content and language removed

I was pleased with Petsmart's responsiveness and satisfactory response. From the time I sent them a comment on the issue (2 hours after I noticed it on Sunday) to the time the store manager personally called me to inform me of the resolution was less than 48 hours. I sent the store an email saying all this as well.

Cheers, Chris. I hope there is a youtube video, that would be awesome.tongue.gif

And, by the way, welcome to WAMAS, you will find a wonderful group of people here who really, honestly care about our hobby.

Edited by Chad

extreme_tooth_decay I was present when you supposedly expressed your concerns for the tank. I overheard the conversation and I'd like to make a few things perfectly clear.

The majority of this post is a flagrant lie, "Chris Schultz".

I spoke very softly and looked around several times specifically to make sure no one was listening. You were not present, and if you were standing 5 feet away, you would not have heard me at any time.

I will not dignify your lies with any further response.

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

Well it looks like **** has a friend. No doubt this person is bashing you extreme and this forum just because we wanted to see the right actions taken. It is awful funny he just became a member today and this was his first and hopefully last post. We here at wamas stand behind each other for the most part especially when it concerns a safety issue. So with that said i am very pleased, you and some members got involved. Good job. :clap:

Edited by davelin315
name removed

Well I was in PetSmart yesterday (yes the same one as from THIS incident)

It is on Rt 1 in Alexandria in Potomac Yards.

I noticed near the front they have a used 72 bowfront FW tank set up (with water, fish, etc) , and it is on sale. They have a big sign that says it is a clearance used item for sale for $400, but would be $3200 if purchased separately/new. Fish not included.

I noticed the center brace was broken, and there was a 3/4" gap in the brace where the tank has bowed out.

I also noticed the front left seam has "black goo" all over the length of it. Undoubtedly where the tank was leaking due to the center brace being broken, they put some goo on. I didn't feel comfortable just standing near the thing.

Man, this is just not right. Let me enumerate the problems:

1) This set up does not cost $3200 if purchased separately. Probably around $400. Maybe. It is just tank, gravel, maybe a crummy filter, heater.

2) That broken center brace is a serious safety concern IMO. Not only should it not be for sale, it should not be set up in a public place.

3) They obviously know about the broken center brace, with the black goo and all. It is wrong to not have that damage clearly marked ("DAMAGED").

Looks like a law suit waiting to happen to me. Willfull endangerment of the public or some such.

Lots of Petsmarts are great, the ones I have been to dont have salt water sections. But in reality its up to the manager, and sadly sometimes just how stupid they can be. I wouldnt judge one chain store for an unimaginably foolish person. People will try to sell anything to make a buck.

1) YOU did not identify yourself first, you instantly went in berating Erin.

2) Erin is not a store manager, but the department manager and was the manager on duty at the time.

3) Instead of nicely telling her what was going on, you immediately started acting like she needed to break down that tank because it was "a ticking time bomb".

4) She explained to you what they were doing with the tank. She never once raised her voice at you and was actually very open to what you had to say. You were the one freaking out over it, your voice got very high, and you were practically demanding she do something that very moment. I had even shown interest in it, did my own investigating of it and found that if I had been serious about buying it, I could have replaced the top.

5) You are correct in saying you were wrong about the supposed patch job. Those seals on the side are from Perfecto. I came from the store today to verify all your claims, and verified this myself.

6) Why didn't any of you approach the management before going into this forum talking out your *****? I am sure that any one of them would not have brushed you off as you claim. I know Erin personally, she takes her department very seriously. She has helped me with every fish and reptile I have purchased there and accusing her of not caring or endangering human or animal life couldn't be more further from the truth.

The fact of the matter is this. If any of you had cared as much as you claimed, you wouldn't have waited this long to make complaints. You would have given the store a chance before going on your little campaign. I was at the store at 7 AM (their doors are open that early) to buy crickets and minnows, saw Erin working on getting the emptied. We talked for a bit and she said that she was breaking it down because of Mr. Decay and that she had texted her store manager to tell him what had happened that night. She decided to empty it then because it was less traffic. I told her that I had heard what went down and what I saw on here. If you guys had just given any of them a chance, you would have got your results peacefully instead of making a bad name for all of you.

I am sure all of you will just ***** to know she is personally taking a sledge hammer to the tank tomorrow sometime. She jokingly mentioned something about Youtube.

Now why don't you guys go harass some store that doesn't care about their pets... like Wal-mart or Petco. You make PETA look tame.

I am sure there will be some backlash on this from Mr. Decay and the rest of his lackies. However, it will not be entertained any further by me. Enjoy commiserating over this like some buzzards on a carcass.

Who are you and why should I believe you over our member who has an established reputation as a valuable and contributing member to our community?

Comparing us with PETA shows just how little you know about this organization, and how little you've cared to research it before stepping forward with your diatribe in defense of your friend.

That it would take so much action from a responsible, competent, and caring membership to gain similarly responsive, competent and responsible action from this shop says something about the management team there. While **** may only be a department manager, it's no excuse for lack of skills in handling customer complaints and concerns. I'm glad that Petsmart corporate and that the store's manager acted appropriately in the matter. I only hope that **** will live and learn from the trip to the woodshed.

Edited by davelin315
Inappropriate content and language removed from quoted post; name removed

Tooth dont you get it, Chris was 5 feet away as in stading in the same place **** was (aka is ****)

Too funny though, good job on getting the tank destroyed i just wish someone had taken a pick of the centerbrace and the silicon. to prove chris/**** right.....

why dont they recycle the glass and show they really care? i mean no need to bash the thing, use it for hamsters or puppymill puppies (lets see PETA top that)

Edited by davelin315
name removed

Lots of Petsmarts are great, the ones I have been to dont have salt water sections. But in reality its up to the manager, and sadly sometimes just how stupid they can be. I wouldnt judge one chain store for an unimaginably foolish person. People will try to sell anything to make a buck.

I agree with you. I like PetSmart for some things. That is why I was there. I stocked much of my african cichlid tank from there, and I'm already seeing fry. I think this store has a nice selection of nice african cichlids in good health at good prices.

Tooth dont you get it, Chris was 5 feet away as in stading in the same place **** was (aka is ****)

I certainly have my suspicions, especially given that "he" repeated one of the nonsense arguments that **** told me, namely "If any of you had cared as much as you claimed, you wouldn't have waited this long to make complaints." As soon as Chad noticed it, he reported it. As soon as I noticed it, I reported it. Nobody "waited this long".

Too funny though, good job on getting the tank destroyed i just wish someone had taken a pick of the centerbrace and the silicon. to prove chris/**** right.....

Well at least there wasn't any dispute regarding the center brace. I can't be positive about the silicone, but it sure looked awful and had been done from the outside as well as the inside...it does not matter now though.

Edited by davelin315
name removed