Roozens nursery=Terrible

B216adkins

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i want to go by there and hear it was a good place and good price ,because setting my new tank so looking for good deal haha?

Edited by losking44

something reefmon told me long ago "Wanna know how to make a small fortune in the reef hobby? start with a big one..."

LOL - yep, and I'd have even more $$$ if I didn't waste so much money on cheap junk.............I don't even want to think about "replacement costs".

More money does not always mean better quality, and Roozen's is a perfect example.

Of the many fish I have bought there over the years, one example is an Achilles I bought for $38 or $48. Perfect condition, would have cost $100 anywhere else. Lived for years until I sold him. For me, paying more for no reason is nonsense. If you know what you are doing, the place can be a gold mine.

And why are they so cheap? Because they buy in large quantities? LOL..........ah, no. They're not even a blip compared to the large west coast buyers. Simple they're from the absolute cheapest source = who knows what kind capture method and/or handling. Yeah, the guy who makes $3/year had the equipment (and cares) to handle the fish </sarcasm>.

Let's see the $20 yellow tang that's comes from where, captured how, and been through what handling.........or.........a pricier yellow tang from Hawaii (given the rules & regs)? Red Sea purple tang or a purple tang from who knows where?

Proper acquisition costs money = product costs more. Same with any product on the market, sure you pay for some for the name but Q/A makes or breaks a product. Can you get a Mag pump to last a long time? Sometimes, but it's a cr*p shoot. An Eheim is almost certain to run for years.

Even at that - so the fish looks fine @ Roozens..............how exactly does one know to what pathogens it's been exposed in that poor environment? A common filtration system = common water.

Sorry but IMHO "I can tell" is a fantasy - we like to believe it but it ain't true. The very best you can do is a guess, once again a cr*p shoot. Twenty some years with salt water, some in a fish store & that's the best I can do = "looks good, no outward signs". Funny thing is if experience made one that good no LFS would have die off - they'd pick only good ones.

Evidence of my point, bet Coral Hind has the experience.........but we can't really be certain...........

Oh yes we have and still do. Just to make Brandon feel better I'll post my loss from yesterday. This Queen angel was DOA after a 15 minute ride home. cry.gif

You can do the "cr*p shoot" approach, sometimes it works..........on the other hand you can also increase your odds significantly by choosing the source. Or one can just gamble, it's the consumers choice.

Edited by ErikS

How do you know where they get there stuff from and where everyone else gets theres from. Ive bought from "reputable stores " that are vendor members, and had fish die, one that never made it home, Ive bought things from roozens, petco and other "shady" stores and had great luck. I dont think you can slam roozens anymore than every other place..

And Losking, there prices are competitive with other LFS, you can find some great deals and somethings that arent great deals. I still think its worth the trip bc you never know what they may have in there..

Roozens has a nice selection of LPS and fish. You really have to know what you're doing when you shop at Roozens; know the signs and symptoms of sick fish, QT and treat for EVERTHING. Slowly acclimate, etc. It's not for the inexperienced reefer. Like everything else you take a crap shoot. I'd suggest testing Roozens water when you bring something home that you've purchased from them to see what their parameters are compared to yours. When purchasing livestock make sure they appear healthy and uninjured. Look for bloating, fin rot, labored breathing, sores, etc.. In gorgonians, LPS and the like look for shedding, buy them when they are open, check to see how they respond to light and touch (they should close immediately) bald spots, etc. Other LFS QT their livestock. Some even treat with meds as a precaution. Don't expect that from a place like Roozens. They get shipments from all over the world everyday. It's all live caught. Roozens move their stock fast and as you will see some of their livestock isn't doing well. But if you search their tanks you will find some real gems. IMO a store like Roozens forces you to utilize QT methods and theories and there is nothing wrong with that. We should all take precautions with everything we put in our systems no matter who you get it from....and then there's" Practice makes perfect". The more you do it the more proficient you become in it. At some time or another you will need to QT. At some time or another most people in this hobby will have to deal with an infestation of something. So if you're not knowledgeable in this area I'd stay away from Roozens until you are comfortable and confident to take the precautions, and like everything else you buy be willing to take a loss. Nothing in this hobby is easy, except getting flatworms, etc.. and it shouldn't be. You're dealing with critters from the ocean. This hobby is not different than any other hobby where you're responsible for keeping something alive. I like Roozens. They've been in business for over 30 years. I've had really good experiences with them. I've not had major losses with items I’ve purchased at Roozens. Not like i've had with Super petz....

are they alright price on coral?

Edited by Jan

If you're just starting in this hobby I would not go to Roozens to stock up your new system. Go to BRK, F&F or Marine scene. They will help you by explaining proper acclimation procedures, compatability, dosing, feeding, etc.

i want to go by there and hear it was a good place and good price ,because setting my new tank so looking for good deal haha?

Edited by Jan

If you're just starting in this hobby I would not go to Roozens to stock up your new system. Go to BRK, F&F or Marine scene. They will help you by explaining proper acclimation procedures, compatability, dosing, feeding, etc.

I think this is very, very good advice. If you are new to the hobby or unwilling to quarantine, this is not the right place for you. F&F quarantines and has very good prices on most of the fish/corals they've got in stock.

I think a Roozen's (haven't been there but used to hit wholesalers in LA that were similiar) is great for the oddball fish, the amazing deal on a high priced fish, and other things like that. I don't think it's a great place for someone who is inexperienced to go to.

jmo.

thank you evey one, when my tank is ready , i want to fill space in the tank with coral ,but i think going to petland for 25% haha , thank again carlos

Edited by losking44

How do you know where they get there stuff from and where everyone else gets theres from. Ive bought from "reputable stores " that are vendor members, and had fish die, one that never made it home, Ive bought things from roozens, petco and other "shady" stores and had great luck. I dont think you can slam roozens anymore than every other place..

Absolutely, which was my point when I said Are they alone in this? Heck no, not by a long shot. How many stores you think really quarantine fish? Make sure they're eating?

.........but.........

What I can slam Roozens for is utter lack of effort. I realize they're more a wholesaler than retail but it doesn't excuse some of their behavior. Selling "live rock" from a tank that has rain water running in? Please, that's just terrible. Like Roni I've been to west coast wholesalers (like in the early 80's when SW was the new frontier). Typical runs of overstocked tanks...........but not nearly in the deplorable conditions seen @ Roozens. It just show a total lack of effort - that I hold against them.

For me it also depends on the fish, if I'm looking for a common tang (Kole?) or everywhere for $30 I'm less likely to be concerned (spend $$$ for "better"). Move into some of the Genicanthus such as Bellus or Wantanabei..........those known to be difficult to get acclimatized to the home aquarium? I'm going to pony up for the better candidate. Same would apply to Anthias such as bimaculatus. Heck some of them such as scribbled angels I wouldn't touch unless it's been through Copp's hands :laugh:

Edited by ErikS

Absolutely, which was my point when I said Are they alone in this? Heck no, not by a long shot. How many stores you think really quarantine fish? Make sure they're eating?

I know for a fact that several stores absolutely QT and ensure a fish is eating prior to putting it up for sale. I was at F&F once looking for a copperband - they had 1 in stock. Sean wasn't in the store but I asked to see it eat. It seemed to be ignoring the food but could have been full. The lady that helped me (I'm afraid I don't know her name) called Sean to ask about the copperband and he said that he hadn't gotten it to eat well yet and that they probably shouldn't sell it. Honest and up-front about the state of the fish.

Roozens does wholesale to local vendors. They nurse the fish, get it eating and then turn around and sell it to you. There's markup because the LFS has taken the risk. If you're willing to take the risk then you can sometimes get a better price at Roozen's. But as stated repeatedly, the store is not for the inexperienced and customer service is almost non-existant (at least the last couple times I was there). I've been told that they cleaned up their tanks over the summer but I haven't been there to see it myself.

ill second on the F&F Qt procedures, especially on the copperbands he had in, one or two got a little sick and he held on to them until they were healthy and eating, ive seen him treat, he has like 4000w of UV on the holding system, They dont always have a ton of fish in stock but if you ask he can get just about anything you want in as long as you are willing to wait for him to get the fish in and QT make sure its healthy....if your an on the spot fish buyer i think you are more prone to having losses/wasting money

Ive been to several others in the area and the ones that do qt..

i only had one experience with another local vendor where i was told they QT but the fish had come in yesterday???...he tried to show him to me eating and it would not (was in a tank with other fish that were ready to sell) that made me suspect but im wondering if it was meant he just was brought out of QT (hoping)

I have not been to roozens yet, ive found stores that made me happy and go to them 99% of the time..if im in the area i would have no problem stopping by though. good to hear the warnings to the community though as some may have to make a long drive to go somewhere.

I'll "third" F&F's QT. Not only did Sean hold one fish through QT for me, he held it for a couple of weeks additional when I was out of town. I've never bought an unhealthy fish from F&F.

We need to be more aware, as a hobbyist community, of the fact that our LFS's do not all run the same business model. Some are set up for higher volume and high turnover. These businesses keep inventory flowing quickly through their shop. The model works, but it places more risk of livestock losses on the hobbyist. While this keeps your over-the-counter price lower, losses will raise your end cost. On the other hand, other LFS's are set up for lower volume and lower turnover. They absorb a lot of the risk that a hobbyist would otherwise bear, including livestock losses. Because they have to devote more time and space to surviving livestock, in addition to absorbing the cost of losses, their price to the hobbyist is higher. However, with fewer losses in your tank, you may find that the overall cost that you bear is lower.

Both models work and we need to go in with our eyes open to the risk we entail in both. It's unfair to hammer a place for losses when we've presumably accepted the risk, knowing full well that they run a high-turnover model. Likewise, it's unfair to complain about higher prices for livestock when the business is running a low-turnover model and absorbing the risk that would otherwise fall on us.

Ultimately, it's up to us, as hobbyists and consumers, to know what we're buying and who we're buying it from. We have that choice.

What was it that Sy Syms used to say? "An educated consumer is our best customer." It applies here.

I'll "third" F&F's QT..........................

Snipped for space savings - couldn't have said it better. I don't take issue with what Roozens does, just how they do it.........it ain't an automat (young'ns won't get that one) no reason to have some issues, doesn't add to the cost.

Heck I'd take more issue with those who put forth "quality" and are basically the same with a prettier front - the move 'em in & move 'em out. Now that ain't right :laugh: At least @ Roozens one knows where they stand.

Roozens' prices are not what they used to be. Hands down, BRK, and F&F, have cheaper prices on nearly everything. Certainly Roozens has a larger selection, but if you're not looking for batfish or boxfish, you can find what you need at BRK or F&F.

As far as corals, forget it. The huge tank on the way to the fish area is full of bleached acros that have seen better days. If you want to get sponges or crappy zoas, then you may find that at Roozens.

Even Jos doesn't seem to be pricing things well anymore. As someone else wrote, since Larry left the place has changed. Prices are no longer competitive.

I must agree with you. I stopped in there last weekend and the prices were no longer cheap as you mentioned. I doubt I will go back there unless I am looking for a special grouper or angel that no other LFS can get.

I'll chime in with my experience with Roozen's because it is fustrating as all get out. Like everyone here has stated they are a great place to find the odd & unusual. I've seen some critters there that I've never seen at another store in person or online. I've been going there since my rookie days 5 years ago & frequented them often, as they're like 5 minutes from my house. The shark they used to keep in the coral system sump was awesome. Many times I've spent hours staring into each tank. I do know that they don't QT their fish as I've watched them unpack many shipments from the box directly to their tanks. I was told the all the fish that go into the coral side came as they are. But the ones on the side that was all fish was treated with copper. Now my MAJOR problem with them is the price quotes! Way too many times I was quoted drasticly different prices on the same thing! That's the main reason I stopped going there. Picked up a hawaiian strawberry crab for 8 bucks, no one there at the time knew what they were, I told them. Went back the next week to get another one, 24 bucks! The final straw was what I called the midas blenny incident. I had been checking them out every other weekend or so and they always had them, so when I finally decided to get one wouldn't you know it, out of stock. So I ask Jos, when they were getting back in & how much? He told me to check back next week and 25 bucks. Ok great! Next week comes no midas so I ask again, next week. Cool, so this process repeats for about a month and a half, every weekend. Finally, I pull up, he sees me before I even get out of the car and says we have them in. Great, finally! I go in check them out, all healthy looking fish. So how much again I ask. $85 I'm quoted this time!!! I just smiled and walked out. The price went up simply because he knew I wanted it. The occasional oddity or deal isn't worth being blatantly taken advantage of in my opinion. If it's over priced then so be it, or if you go up a few bucks then cool, I can deal. But when the price starts duobling and tripling on the same item just a different day that's just robbery in my book.

I had the exact same problem. I went into roozens on a Friday and they had a rock full of yumas for $30 and I did not purchase that day. I decided that I could not pass up the deal and went back on Saturday and I was quoted $58 for the rock. I have been going to roozens for over 4 years and I never experienced a price difference that much. On that same Friday I wanted to purchase a toadstool. I saw one about 7 inches round he told me $38, I said I want a smaller one. I found one around 3 inches and guess what the price was also $38. I was able to get it down to $30. They know me in there and you will think they will treat their repeated buyers better. I will never purchase another item from roozens. I also once picked up some of the $2pound rock and when I got up front, I was told $6pound, the biggest rock was no bigger than my hand. If I was you I would avoid roozens unless you are looking for that very unique item and do not mind being ripped off.

I wonder if it has to do with the economy or how many loses they have per shipment, as an offset. Well if it were me I'd let Roozens know that it does not pay to be penny wise and pound foolish. I'd tell them that they have lost a good customer because of what they do with their prices. Can anyone really afford to lose customers in this economy? Is Roozens that secure? Voice your concerns to Roozens. I know they read the public forums here.

I think the pricing issue is nothing new as I have had the same problem over the years. I go wearing some old jeans and a tee one day and I get one price. I stop by after work the next day wearing a tie and the price is now doubled. When I would call him out on the difference in price he would always give me the earlier lower price. I have told them several times it would be nice to have posted prices but he said the prices are constantly changing depending on the shipments and it would be too much work to update it every week.

Perks of being the owner, you can run the business however you choose, whether people like it or not.. Roozens is what it is, and it will probably wont change as long as its there.. Somehow it has managed all these years, and my guess is it will continue the same way. I agree it can be frustrating, but its a choice, and you dont have to choose to purchase from them. I would guess that they would say all of our opinions are worth what we sold them for, absolutely nothing.

The prices do indeed change. Some reasons are more evident than others.

The fact of the matter is they have thousands of items...this means:

1) It is too difficult to keep prices on everything

2) It is unreasonable to expect them to give you the same quoted price they did last week. It is just too much to remember.

To say you aren't going back there because today's price is worse than yesterday's is silly. Consider it a sale that you missed. You should have bought it when you got the low price quoted. I have been there many times and left because that day's prices were too high, and many other times the prices were insanely low and bought a bunch of stuff. Other times if I feel like it I will negotiate with Jos. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Personally I prefer this business model to just slapping a high price on everything. I am a bargain hunter.

Perks of being the owner, you can run the business however you choose, whether people like it or not.. Roozens is what it is, and it will probably wont change as long as its there.. Somehow it has managed all these years, and my guess is it will continue the same way. I agree it can be frustrating, but its a choice, and you dont have to choose to purchase from them. I would guess that they would say all of our opinions are worth what we sold them for, absolutely nothing.

+1

The prices do indeed change. Some reasons are more evident than others.

The fact of the matter is they have thousands of items...this means:

1) It is too difficult to keep prices on everything

2) It is unreasonable to expect them to give you the same quoted price they did last week. It is just too much to remember.

To say you aren't going back there because today's price is worse than yesterday's is silly. Consider it a sale that you missed. You should have bought it when you got the low price quoted. I have been there many times and left because that day's prices were too high, and many other times the prices were insanely low and bought a bunch of stuff. Other times if I feel like it I will negotiate with Jos. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Personally I prefer this business model to just slapping a high price on everything. I am a bargain hunter.

+1, Agreed.!