Tank Crashed After Move!

phisigs79

So I moved the tank two days ago and the corals were so stressed from the move that they slimed up pretty good and I believe it created what people call "chemical warfare". Everything was moved a short distance (4 miles) and wasnt sitting in tubs for two long (maybe 1 hour) but the handling of the corals (mainly LPS) created them to slime up really bad. There was stringy slime all over the tank. Ran carbon but it didnt stop it. Most of the corals were receeding and bleaching within a day after setup. Going to do a water change tonight(15g on a total volume of 60g). Have kept the lights off for 2 days now to keep them from stressing out more. Tank water is still cloudy. It hurts to know how much time I spent making the move easy as possible on them just to loose them not to mention the back breaking work envolved. It looks like they are all goners. Sometimes I hate this hobby. I need to get my 120g up and running or I might walk away from the hobby.

Sometimes I hate this hobby.

Don't we all at times, can certainly be frustrating.

Got stuff when/if you need it.

Ditto, nothing fancy though.

I am sorry, there is no other way to put it than it sucks.

It seems that if you stay in the hobby long enough, something will cause you to experience a crash. When you are ready, I also have stuff that I can give.

Good luck.

Chad

If you need water or anything Chris, let us know. I've always got around 40 gallons fresh and salt mixed up, ready to go. Hang in there.

thanks guys it just disappointing to lose something you put so much effort into

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I just killed my torch coral colony that I grew from a single polyp for 3 years. It had gotten to be about the size of softball and had encrusted onto a piece of rock that I glued it next too and formed a new base. I was so happy with the coral and it looked so awesome under my actinics. I am so pissed that I killed it.

Shoot I have a few peices that I have had since I started the hobby 6 years ago that might not make it. lucky for me I have given out alot of my corals over the past 5 years. I am just sick to my stomach when i think about it and to top it off I still have things to move and get ready for the new renter in my townhouse. UGHHHHH

Shoot I have a few peices that I have had since I started the hobby 6 years ago that might not make it. lucky for me I have given out alot of my corals over the past 5 years. I am just sick to my stomach when i think about it and to top it off I still have things to move and get ready for the new renter in my townhouse. UGHHHHH

Well I am kind of up the street from you in manassas. If there is anything I can do to help LMK. I run a 210 mixed reef with 20 long refugium and 40 breeder sump. I hope all goes well. When my corals slimed up during my move I shut off all power heads for 25 minutes and took a brine shrimp net and scooped out as much of the slime from the corals as possible. Then I did I think a 35% WC the next day. GOOD LUCK!

Shoot I have a few peices that I have had since I started the hobby 6 years ago that might not make it.

Don't give up all hope, last crash had everything in the tank looking wiped out - they all looked dead. Most came back, some I would have sworn were dead. All it seems to take is a few polyps & they come back.

Goodluck. When we moved, we were unable to move our tank for months (due to renovations in the basement). Fish got overfed, nitrate went through the roof and we lost all but the GSP and some mushrooms (and 4 fish out of 8 were still there). Now that it's over, I'm back to square one with corals. Rebuilding sucks.

Ok so i did a 15g water change last night and this morning the water has cleared up alot. Still having more losses and had a green chromi and yellow tang die. To top it off I was moving my 120g into the basement and chipped the back corner. Luckily it doesnt look like its structural damage but it pissed me off pretty bad. I was maybe a 2mm chip that was a inch long. With 1/2 glass i cannot see it being a issue but who knows.

Make sure you test for ammonia and are looking for the tank that may be going through the nitrogen cycle following disruption of the bacterial flora. I had this happen to me in one of my moves. I'm always on the watch for it now. I find this is especially problematic if you move and replace the sand bed.

Good luck,

JR

I do not have a sand bed and i am doing nightly 15g water changes. I added amquel and live bacteria tonight. No ammonia kit however since i never needed it. Alk was 9.6. Thinking this was caused by a contaimanted container or lack of temp acclimating live rock but the temps were only 2 degrees different. Acclimated all the corals and fish though

if you dont mind checking i would appreciate it

I really feel bad for you - sounds extremely discouraging. I've been just worried about breaking the corals when I move - now you have me scared.

I've got a nice 4" flower petal monti for you when you get it settled down. I have found MB7 to be nearly magical in situations like this. If you get the bacteria going, I am sure the rest of the tank will fall back in line.

Good luck

thanks for all the support guys. I am overwelmed with the offers and will keep you guys up to date on the progress