Chemistry Question

bbyatv

I am trying to compare Brightwell - Calcion to Seachem - Reef Complete for calcium concentration.

Brightwell says that 1ml of Calcion will raise the concentration of calcium in 3.785L of water by 40ppm.

Seachem says that 5ml of Reef Complete will raise the concentration of calcium in 80L of water by 10mg/L

Can anyone tell me which product has a higher concentration of calcium?

Thanks,

Bruce

I know. Way to much brain use for this kind of heat.

Bruce

It's too hot to keep a dozen roses outside this time of year.

I am trying to compare Brightwell - Calcion to Seachem - Reef Complete for calcium concentration.

Brightwell says that 1ml of Calcion will raise the concentration of calcium in 3.785L of water by 40ppm.

Seachem says that 5ml of Reef Complete will raise the concentration of calcium in 80L of water by 10mg/L

Thanks,

Bruce

1ml of Reef Complete will raise calcium 2mg/l in 16 l of water.

what's the conversion for ppm to mg/l?

1ml of Reef Complete will raise calcium 2mg/l in 16 l of water.

what's the conversion for ppm to mg/l?

1 mg/L = 1 ppm

Assumption: 1 cm3 of pure water = 1g =1000mg

1 litre water = 1000 ml = 1000 g = 1 000 000 ml or 1 000 000 mg

1 mg/1 litre = 1 mg/ 1 000 000 ml = 1mg/1 000 000 mg = 1 ppm

Note:

mg/L is most frequently used in measurements of material in water or other liquid. ppm is used as a measure of gases in their gases and is based on volume not weight or mass. As a clarification ppm is usually written as ppmv (parts per million volume

winner- brightwell.

I do not think so. I contacted the owner of the Reef Chemistry Calculator web site and he sent me the e-mail below. Based on his math, 1ml of Seachem will raise 1 gallon of water 42 ppm and the Brightwell will only raise it 40 ppm. The Seacham also adds Magnesium and Strontium.

I feel the winner is Seachem.

http://jdieck1.home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chemcalc.html

See, if 5 ml of Seachem adds 10 mg/l (ppm) to 80 Lts of water then 1 ml will add 10 ppm to 16 liters (just 80/5). So the total ppm in 16 lts will be 160 (just 10x16). If you use one ml in one gallon (3.785 lts) the ppm will be diluted by 3.785 so per gallon you will have 42 ppm per gallon (just 160/3.785).

Then 1 ml of Seachem will result in 42 ppm in one gallon compared with the 40 ppm of Calcion and accounting for the rounding the manufacturers do in their calculations for simplification I would say that they are perfectly equivalent to each other.

Conclusion: you can use the same amount of Calcion as you use of Seachem. Assuming their qualities are equivalent (and I think they are) then just buy the cheapest.

Jose

Thanks for all fo the feedback,

Bruce

See, if 5 ml of Seachem adds 10 mg/l (ppm) to 80 Lts of water then 1 ml will add 10 ppm to 16 liters (just 80/5).

I'm an electrical guru so I'm not pretending to be an expert here. To me it appears he divided the 5ml by 5, and the 80L by 5, but he didn't break the 10ppm down by 5 to get 2ppm. He just kept it at 10ppm. Thoughts??

I'm an electrical guru so I'm not pretending to be an expert here. To me it appears he divided the 5ml by 5, and the 80L by 5, but he didn't break the 10ppm down by 5 to get 2ppm. He just kept it at 10ppm. Thoughts??

The 10ppm is the target concentration. 5 mL into 80L raises tank water by 10ppm, just like 1 mL into 16L raises tank water by 10ppm. Similarly, 20 mL into 320L raises water by 10ppm.

My thought is It's still too hot to keep a dozen roses outside this time of year and will be for many more days.

Then how do those folks selling roses in the various intersections near me keep their flowers in good shape?

Then how do those folks selling roses in the various intersections near me keep their flowers in good shape?

Those "folks" create some of our best customers.

FYI and little know factoid,

90% of women do not really know how to arrange flowers properly and would prefer professionally arranged flowers, especially if you're bringing them to a dinner party as a hostess gift.

My gf does a great job:) anyway math does suck when its hot I have to do math at the water treatment plant at night in this heat! Not to mention the walking.

Thanks,

Bruce

My vote is for seachem,I know there is a more elegant solution but here is the brute force method after a few JackD's.

Brightwell -1 ml in 3.78 L = 40ppm

Seachem -5 ml in 80 L= 10 ppm Thus,

1 ml in 80 L=2 ppm

1 ml in 40 L=4 ppm

1 ml in 20 L=8 ppm

1 ml in 10 L=16 ppm

1 ml in 5 L=32 ppm

1 ml in 2.5 L=64 ppm

1 ml in 3.75 L=48 ppm

Which is about 3.75 is pretty close to 3.78, therefore, seachem is slightly more concentrated.

My gf does a great job:) anyway math does suck when its hot I have to do math at the water treatment plant at night in this heat! Not to mention the walking.

Mathematics is not a crime.

In military basic training, one of the things that they teach you (the hard way) is to make good decisions in less than comfortable conditions. This is a great lesson, whether you're a ER nurse, classroom teacher, or a waste water treatment worker. That said, if you really know something well, you still know it whether it's 107 degrees or something less.

Brightwell:

The label says that 1 ml of calcion will raise the calcium level of 3.785 liters of water by 40 ppm (or 40 milligrams per liter).

40 ppm = 40 mg/l.

40 mg/l * 3.785 l = 151.4 mg

Thus, there is 151.4 mg of calcium in 1 ml of calcion.

Seachem:

The label says that 5 ml of Reef Complete will raise 80 liters of water by 10 mg/l or 10 ppm.

10 mg/l * 80 l = 800 mg

Thus, there is 800 mg of calcium in 5 ml of Reef Complete.

Equivalently, there is 160 mg of calcium in 1 ml of Reef Complete.

Summary:

They're nearly equivalent in terms of concentration. Seachem is very slightly more concentrated.