Today's WAMAS meeting - Tony Vargas

Origami

Great meeting today. I enjoyed having Tony visit and speak to the club. Nice turn out, too. Thanks to everyone in attendance for making the journey. We've got a BRK social on the calendar in the near term. Frag fest is in McLean on July 11th, so mark your calendar!

Thanks also to all our sponsoring vendors who contributed all the cool stuff for our raffle. As many tickets as I had in for one of those cool LED actinic strip lights (from Fins and Feathers) and for the AWI Typhoon III Extreme (from Air Water Ice), it's amazing to have missed both! LOL. The good news is that I can still go in and buy either!

Winning that $100 gift certificate to Mr. Coral will help offset the healthy price that I paid for the rare purple efflatounaria that Tony Vargas brought in for us.

It was also great to see Kristen, a brand new member who joined up at the meeting, win several of the raffles! @Kristen: Welcome to the club! I hope that we see you posting soon.

Thanks to all the other sponsoring vendors and members that supplied stuff for our meeting:

Pacific East Aquaculture (Dr. Mac)

Marine Scene

Fishnreef.com

Rob (zygote2K)

Dave (DaveS)

and others.

Thank you!

I also enjoyed listening to Tony speak. He was a very down to earth guy who has had the opportunity to travel the world and see first hand what we love. I just want to thank Tony for sharing some of his experiences with us. Also would like to think the Wamas officers for scheduling him. I had a great time and as always met some new faces and visited with the ones i already knew.

Lynn

Great meeting...Really enjoyed the presentations by Almon and Tony. My son (arsenic) and I recently joined WAMAS this was our first meeting...It was a lot of fun meeting new people and added a few new corals and an anemone to my tank from DaveS. We even won a raffle for a coral donated by AndyB...Thanks guys, looking forward to the next meeting.

Ron

It was a great meeting, nice to put some faces to names! Almon, great talk! And Tony have a great perspective from as one of the industry heavy hitters who thinks like the average reefer does!

And Tom, too bad I couldn't win the auction, but it was a lot of fun trying!

Thanks all!

Thanks all!

I think you deserve at least "first frag" from Tom for the effort! It was nice to see everyone out for the event. I even won a few marine scene raffle items! Thanks to everyone who helped set up and tear down. This team effort makes these meeting so much less stressful! Anyone who got bred clowns, keep us informed.

This was my first meeting although I have been a member for over a year. Of course I joined before we moved here, and then there was the winter.....

Very well done. Can't wait to make it out to the next one. Thanks to all that put forth the efforts to make events like this happen. :clap:

Thanks all for coming out to the meeting & to the officer group and volunteers for all their work. For me it was a great pleasure to assist with hosting Tony and taking him around to a few member tanks. I had a blast all weekend with him.

Summer frag-fest is going to be awesome ... FREE coral frags for members!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope to see a lot of you at BRK social before then.

Sorry I missed it. I am very interested in the subject, but it's hard to get away these days.

Thanks for the great presentations and meeting.

I think you deserve at least "first frag" from Tom for the effort!

:biggrin:

hehe, I dont think there would be any complaints here for that thought!

Definitely a coral to spread around for the sake of conservation.

This was my second meeting this year and I really enjoyed both speakers. Almons talk was great considering my primary reason for attending was to pick up a pair of his babies, and as a diver I could really appreciate tony's presentation.

I'm not sure who to thank for the acrylic top off tank I won in the raffle so I just add it here - Thank You :)

looking forward to the BRK social, I won an awesome christmas chalice in the raffle last time from them and the social will be my first chance to return since then.

I'm not sure who to thank for the acrylic top off tank I won in the raffle so I just add it here - Thank You :)

I believe that was donated by NAGA, our resident acrylic master artisan.

I think you deserve at least "first frag" from Tom for the effort!

Definitely a coral to spread around for the sake of conservation.

Mine, mine!

Seriously, it's nice to have this in the DC area and with our club. As it grows out, it'll definitely find its way into more tanks around here. I'll make sure of that.

Mine, mine!

Thanks for buying the frag for me. Right now it's mine, mine - as it sits in my tank :tongue:

Maybe we can meet wednesday when I telecommute, and I'll get the frag to you.

That sounds good, Craig. I assume that it's looking rested from its travels?

Question

Tony mentioned a 3 volume set of refrences that every reefer should have in their collection - Does anyone remember the name and or author of those books?

thanks

Question

Tony mentioned a 3 volume set of refrences that every reefer should have in their collection - Does anyone remember the name and or author of those books?

thanks

Corals of the World by Vernon

http://www.marinedepot.com/Corals_Of_The_World_(3_Volume_Set)_by_J._E._N._Veron_Saltwater_Aquarium_Books-House_Brand-BKCOTW-FIBKSW-vi.html

I would once again give a big THANK YOU! to the club for inviting me and for allowing me to share my passion with the members of this great club.

Special thanks to Craig Kuhn for making me feel very comfortable throughout the weekend, to Doug Arthur and John Cappolino for making the arrangements for my visit, to Chip Frederick for the Brick Oven Pizza, to Justin Casp for his tour, to Bob & Tamie DeWitt for their hospitality, and to Tom (sorry I do not have your last name) for the stimulating conversations, and for finding a good home to one of the most awesome corals in the hobby.

It was great to see Chip a member I had shared my passion with at his club just about 16 years ago. It reminds me of how long I have been doing this.

Thanks, everyone for making this so enjoyable.

Tony Vargas