Zoa's slowly melting away

Mando77

It seems some of my Zoa's colonys are getting smaller and/or stopped growing? Is there a reason for this? Not enough light, Small system "29 Gallons", to many types of Zoa's? I've got LPS, SPS, Leathers and wondered if the zoas just don't work with some of these corals? I have not seen any snails eating them. No spots or issues with thier looks. They are just going backwards? I don't get it. What is the best way to get Zoa's to grow and expand.

whats your alkalinity/magnesium/salinity

alkalinity tends to have alot to do with melting in my opinion though some do just disappear. hopefully something is just a little off and is an easy fix

It could be something as simple as incompatibility issues with the variety of corals in a small tank, it could be new tank syndrome, it could be water chemistry, pests, lighting, etc. There are so many factors involved that it can be very hard to determine a true cause.

My Alkalinity/magnesium/salinity are fine and the tank has been up for about a year. I think it has to do with the variety? They were growing and doing better when the tank was first set up? I guess there is only so much you can do in a small tank.

(edited)

this is why i dont like zoas, sometimes they just melt.

That could be said with most of the corals we keep. It "just" doesn't happen, there has to be a cause.

Edited by Coral Hind

I agree, there is always a cause, even if it cannot be identified.

That being said, you mentioned having mixed corals in your tank... I have found that zoas tend to be sensitive to aleopathic chemicals from other corals (even other zoas sometimes). There is a specific colony of zoas in my tank that seems to be affected first if I pass the time to change my carbon. The polyps start to not open as far if I let it go beyond about 3 weeks, then if I do nothing but change my carbon the colony opens as if nothing happened.

This seems to get more interesting. I was thinking about adding more Zoa's a few weeks ago, but now I am not going to touch them. They are listed as an easy coral to keep, and they maybe from a begining stand point. But it seems they are very sensitive corals and little is known about how these really should be dealt with in tanks with large stock. Some of the first corals I got were Watermelon and Radioactive Zoa's, and now my Watermelons are almost completely gone and they were about 3 inches across at one point. now my Radioactive Zoa's are looking to be in trouble. If they get any worse I will sell them. I don't understand these things. My Fire and Ice Zoa's seem to be just fine and same with my 2 other colonies?

No light changes, and I do 5 gallon water changes every week. I haven't missed a water change since I've had the tank. I also change out Chemi Pure Elite 11oz and Purigen 100ML bags every 4 months. I am going to get the nanotuners LED 5.6 light. I think it would be great for a small tank footprint.

(edited)

I've had it happen on occasion, where some colonies tend to die back, while others thrive. Your water parameters may be on point, tank may be pest free, lighting and water circulation are dead on, but there are aspects of the hobby that are a mystery. My experiences with zoa melting are rather infrequent, but something that the majority of zoa enthusiasts may have experienced at one point or time in the hobby.

a few RC members mention that could be an infection within the mat itself, and advise periodic "blowing" with a powerhead to remove any dead spots, due to detritus sitting for a long period of time, could possibly help the situation.

Having talked to my dad, who knows nothing about reef husbandry, he had mentioned that it could simply be part of their "life cycle". I've often had one or two polyps hold on, and keep the colony going. I know its not quite the help that your looking for, but it seems there isn't much of an answer to confront the mysteries of zoanthids melting.

Freshwater dips, Coral Revive, Nutrient Rich water, Dosing buffered vitamin C or iodine and magnesium; and supplemental feedings do little to curb the process. I'm kind of under the impression that its natural selection. I hope more studies are conducted on it, and Coral Hind does have a point, things kinda just "don't happen" there is almost always an underlying cause.

Stay strong, the majority of your colonies will!

Edited by BrendanG

when you said good on alkalinity whats the number

ive had alkalinity swings realllly affect mine before and in my old tank with little alk and cal uptake the zoas thrived,

look at some of the members on here and they have every variation of zoas in their tank doing just fine touching each other (Ben for examples has a ton of different types) and many have full sps addictions along with nice zoas with no problem, every tank is different but

I just notice when things arent stable (say the water you added had a lower or higher ph, alk, etc) or the salt which is known for inconsistencies in mag, strontium, etc.

but good luck regardless, hope it stops soon

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Zoa Pox --a fungal infection. YOu will see a white fussy stuff growing over the zoas and causing them to melt away.

Zoo poks or a parisite was my first guess.... start trying to elimnae the things its not and then try and figure out what it is.

this is why i dont like zoas, sometimes they just melt.

+1

And - the more expensive the zoa, the more likely it is to just die, while sitting next to a cheap one that is growing like crazy.

bob