Do you pet your fish?

zygote2k

The large Desjardini tang that I got from Reefhunter loves to be rubbed on its' belly, fins, and nose when I am cleaning the tank. It even likes to be held sideways in the palm of my hand. Sometimes when I am using the scraper, it likes to rub against the side of the scraper. when it does this, it turns almost pure white. If I rub the fish, it turns almost pure black.

Has anyone else noticed color changing behaviors in affectionate fish?

That is really cool. It sounds like WAMAS has a fish whisperer.

The large grouper I once had used to swim into my hand if I stuck it into the tank. He also liked his sides rubbed but I didn't do it much as I was afraid to remove his slim coat.

My one clown swims to the top of my tank and spits water at me when he wants to eat. But I doubt he would ever let me pet him.

Buttercup. She came from Bemmer's tank breakdown and then was a victim of my breakdown. Thankfully Rob ended up with her, she is the best fish I ever had. She was raised in captivity from the size of a quarter.

Good to hear she is happy, although she should go into a bigger tank!

My old maroon clown was like that. She loved to be rubbed and held. I could even pull her out of the water, then set her back in and she wouldn't move out of my hand. Definitely one of the most interesting fish I have had.

I have a flame wrasse that loves to swim through my hands when I am in the tank.

I'm sure if I spent more time in the tank with my hands, they would probably be more keen on being touched, but as it is I use my tongs most of the time.

My female tomato clown used to let me "pet" her, but changed to just attacking and biting ever since I re-aquascaped the tank she used to be in (a couple years ago).

i had read somewhere that it could be attributed to a cleaning response like something in its slime coat is irritating it and "likes" to be rubbed to remove the irritation. that being said it could also be a learned behavior, and the fish is comfortable with you and know not to bite the hand that feeds you.

this is why i love marine fish because of the personalities they have. people that say "it's just a fish" have obviously never had a marine tank. my old sailfin would eat from my fingers and let me touch her occasionally when she saw fit. :cool:

The groupers (2' to 3') in Little Cayman will come up to divers and beg to get chins and sides rubbed. It was the strangest thing, though I know that it's a learned response to having divemasters feeding them. You get so used to them bolting when you get near, and you couldn't push these far enough away to take a picture!

The rabbitfish chews on my fingers when I break up frozen food or put nori in the tank. If it weren't for the venomous dorsal spines, I would try to pet the guy.

hmm, I wonder if touch is a pleasurable stimulating sensation for fish.

Don't some fish rub up against rocks and coral in the wild? If so, I would think it's because they want to.

Yes, to get the parasites off.

Don't some fish rub up against rocks and coral in the wild? If so, I would think it's because they want to.

I don't think they feel pleasure. I believe they feel pain. I would think that if they felt pain they would also feel comfort but i'm not so sure about pleasure. They rub to get parasites off so they feel the parasite but I wonder if it's because it annoys them to the point of discomfort and pain or just because they feel something on them. There's probably a study somehwere out there.

Ohhh ok. Maybe it's just a natural reaction then...Because a non-parasited fish=Happy fish?

Makes you think twice about eating a salmon burger... I'm not sure how much pain fish feel... I fish and I'm sure they don't feel as much pain as we do... anyway hope you guys have fun petting your fish!

Most of the fish in the Baltimore Aquariums Atlantic Reef will let you pet them and they love it if you pick up a handful of substrate and drop it. They fight to get under it like they are are taking a shower.

Things didn't go so well the last time I tried to pet a tank inhabitant:

You know Tim, it doesn't get much better than that.

I miss the old video clips.

Thanks

Guest This is Bob!

I'm glad my pain amuses you buddy smile.gif

hes into s and m but the vid was richous anyway