Picasso and Rod's Onyx eggs

gioNVA

I missed the last two hatches. I think about 20 per hatch would've made it had I been home those days. Definitely getting better. They laid again about 30 minutes ago and was able to take a video.

th_DSC_0227.jpg

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

wow I didn't realize I had this thread going almost 5 years ago.  They have been laying eggs every 2 weeks for the past 5 years.  I never tried to raise the fry until last week.  I was able to get a rotifers culture going last month and bought some RGcomplete with TDO A and B1.  I also checked my previous emails and the Rod's Onyx was purchased from Rod's Reef in 2005.  I purchased the male picasso/snowcasso from Doni in 2008.  They fry are at 10 days old now and are past meta.  I have about 50 in the fry tank.  Will be posting crappy cell phone pics and videos shortly.

Here's the video on hatch night.  I tinted the water with RGcomplete and put in the rotifers before I tried to catch all the fry from the reef tank.  I think I was able to get about 70-80 babies.  I always rinse the rotifers in tank water before I put them in the fry tank.  Tank temp is at 81.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R333xE5Gxi0

Here is another video at 1 day post hatch.  I kept the lights on for 24 hours.  The rotifers took care of the the green water so it's a little clear.  You can also somewhat see the rotifer density.  I think I put in too much rotifers.  Anyway, I added RGcomplete to tint the water again.  I added them slowly to not shock the fry.  I think I diluted in rodi water and added a drop every 10 seconds or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrzq63Gkigc

(edited)

Ok the titles on the videos are correct.  I think I messed up my posts and timeline.  After day 3, i've done 1 gallon water changes everyday.  Basically use an airline to vacuum the bottom and then drip the replacement water for 8 hours.  Anyway here's 5 days post hatch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk5cpr18bJY

Edited by gioNVA

Wow this is cool. Its crazy how quick they grow in the initial few days. Also is it just me or do they look like some are already starting to get a bit of color in day 5?

Awesome! Thanks for the videos of the progress! Did the fry hatch in display tank or did you have the eggs on a tile that you moved? If it was on a tile can you describe how you aerated the eggs? I had a tile set up with a single air line (not an air stone) and didn't aerate my last batch of eggs enough.  Only a handful of the eggs were moving and those are all that hatched.

They hatched in the display tank and I had to catch the fry.  I have added a few tiles hoping that they would lay eggs on it.  They still chose to lay eggs on the rock.  I would suggest using a 4" air stone to aerate the eggs.  Just make sure that the eggs get enough movement and the bubbles are large enough that they don't stick in between the eggs.

Ah, yes, a wide wall of bubbles makes sense, to create a wider area of flow. I have a new 1 day old batch of eggs so I'll give it a try next week when I feel like they are ready to move.