Picasso and Rod's Onyx eggs

gioNVA

I am going to fast track.  Here's a photo at 8 dph.  Some are going through meta and some have head stripes already.

Day8-IMAG0314_zpsrgddhxb6.jpg

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More head stripes at 9 dph.  All of them have been eating TDO B1 at this point.  They only get fed rotifers when I leave for work in the AM.  This gives the something to pick on during the day.  

Day9-IMAG0315_zpsoonvtjs6.jpg

I didn't get a chance to take photos or videos at 10 dph.  They are at 11 days at the moment.  Some are developing thicker head stripes and I see a few with sideburns.  I also see some white on the body starting to develop.

Day11-IMAG0324_zpsabm7xqu4.jpg

Day11-IMAG0321_zpsiuihhwgo.jpg

(edited)

This is so cool. I can remember when I bred cichlids back in the freshwater days (although they were much easier to take care of). It was always so much fun to see them develop. 

Edited by Bruleyii

(edited)

Huh, interesting. I only have 5 babies form my partial hatch on Sunday and I will have to feed bbs since I don't have the TDO yet, but I also have a new nest of eggs so maybe I'll have my TDO by then and won't have to mess around with bbs for them.

Are you going to use larger sizes of the TDO as they get bigger or switch to another brand of food? I guess what I'm wondering is, should I buy their hobby pack with 7 sizes or just pick a couple sizes. Seven sizes seems a little crazy. 

Edited by Rob A

the hobby pack is more for convenience and consistency.  You may be able to get away with crushing flakes/pellets but I don't have any experience with that.  I will try them after day 15.  At the minimum I'd get A and B1.

Rob A if you like brine shrimp and are having a hard time getting TDO this might serve as a good alternative. http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/Original-Golden-Pearl-Diets-Active-Spheres-c11.html This is still well used by some breeders and they swear by it.

Bio if your letting the fry hatch in the tank and need some help catching them here is a good tool.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/117580460/vossen-larval-trap

Video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0V1S80TC3XU

Reef Builders Article: http://reefbuilders.com/2013/11/25/unboxing-vossen-aquatics-larval-snagger/

(edited)

Thanks for the info Matt. I've been lucky with the last 2 clutches since they were laid on a tile. I will just make some bbs for this batch.

Here they are laying the eggs. For goodness sake I don't know why I can't figure out how to post a video from Flickr. sigh.

https://flic.kr/p/qZ2zXh

Edited by Rob A

Thanks!

I got a piece of some sort of decorative tile at Lowes and then cut a piece out of it with a hole saw (glass cutting one). Then I drilled a few holes on the shiny side so the epoxy putty would cling to it then stuck it on the rock where they had laid a couple clutches.

After I pulled out the first tile with eggs on it I stuck another one in the same spot and 2 or 3 days later they laid this batch of eggs on it. 

I made a "frame" out of a piece of PVC to hold the disk in a vertical position so I could run the bubbles next to it. I need to redesign it...I'll try and post a picture.

(edited)

This was my first design, although in reality I had the top of the disk leaning in a little so that the top was over the center of the PVC. I thought it would work better that way for some reason. What happened was that the only eggs that really got aerated where the ones at the top center of the disk so those were the only ones that hatched. Perhaps it should have had some vent holes at the bottom to help let water come into the tube from the bottom.

4c16b1be8b66a0ff6badd3f2bbae73a5.jpg

Edited by Rob A

(edited)

Cool! Which food are they eating now? Also, any idea on how long the tank needs to be covered on all sides? The 2 babies I have left seem to be swimming around a lot more and I get the impression that maybe they don't need to have the sides blacked out anymore. They are 10 days old, still pre-meta.

Edited by Rob A

Thanks PK3!  I love watching them.  They are starting to become territorial.

Rob, I still feed them TDO B1 as there are still a few that are small but they also get fed crushed flakes (prime reef) and crushed pellets (NLS Thera A).  I think I took off the black sides after they 10 days.  I think mine hit meta at day 8-10.

Here my new aeration setup. This batch of eggs is 9 days old. I just moved them tonight and they may actually hatch tonight.

My aeration system didn't work out, all the eggs died. Gonna have to try something different. The tile kept shifting away from the bubbles, I think it was from the vibration effect of the turbulent bubbles.

Rob, I still feed them TDO B1 as there are still a few that are small but they also get fed crushed flakes (prime reef) and crushed pellets (NLS Thera A). I think I took off the black sides after they 10 days. I think mine hit meta at day 8-10.

Thanks! I now have TDO A, B1 and C1. They were out of B2. I have 2 babies at day 11. One has stripes and the other doesn't, yet.

Here they are at 22 days.  Looking to transfer them to a bigger tank probably next week.  I like the color and shape that these guys are developing and they look more like the Rods/Cquest shape.  I have a total of ~45 babies and looks like 5 will have helmet patterns on the head stripe, a few will probably have regular picasso pattersn and the rest are regular perc patterns.  Still feeding flake/pellet and starting to add some freeze dried cyclopeeze in there.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX6eeQLVoy8

I read someone else's post on here saying 2 babies. whoops.

Look at them move though. They are looking very happy.

Looking good!!

I had the 2 babies. Today is day 18. One died last night but the other is fine. The one that died never got stripes and didn't quite have the right shape as if he didn't go through meta. The lone survivor looks normal and he wold ocasionally nip at his sibling if it got close to him. Agressive already!