Best way to reduce Nitrate In Nano Tank

Mando77

I have a real problem keeping my Nitrate low. I have a Media Reactor with denitrate that seems to do very little. My Nitrate level has not changed since it has been added. What is the best way to keep Nitrate low in a small aquarium? Also does Iodine affect Nitrate in any way? Any help would be appreciated.

Hands down, water changes and keeping the substrate, if any, clean. A smaller tank is easy to do water changes on and you could do something as easy in a small tank as changing out a agallon or two once per week, or 10-20% each week.

By the way, the mangroves will probably not take care of much of the nutrients.

Yeh, I do change 5 gallons every week. My tank is 29 gallons, it seems impossible to keep Nitrate low. I might look into some other chemical media, but I highly doubt that can or will be the long term anwser.

I almost bought the Nitrate reducer, but how does that work? Does it have bacteria that help or does the chemical just do its job and then go away after a week.

water change and make sure theres no dead spots where debris can rot. you can always add a small fuge out of a hob or something with calerpa. ive always only run carbon and sponge filter in my nanos and had success, maybe there too much chemical media in the filters causing over filtration of some kind?

my 24g had 0 nitrates then and now but spiked to 30-40 for a month when I dropped in a bunch of liverock (already cured) that stopped the flow and trapped food.

After feeding less, regular WC's, and adding another powerhead nitrates are back to 0.

How does you skimmer do? Make it run a tad wetter but watch your SG.

I would exchange at least 5 g per week and siphon any detritus as you do.

I dissagree with Dave,

For that sized tank, I think the mangroves will do a fine job helping as long as you have 150-200 actively growing plants on a reverse light cycle.

Assuming you are keeping the tank relatively clean, Chaeto has got to be the best way to keep nitrate down. Often, water changes do very little to keep nitrate down. @ 40 mg/L nitrate, a 25% water change will only bring you down to 30 ppm. By the next time you do a water change, it is likely to be right back to 40 mg/L.

Scott

What kind of load do you have in the tank, ie.. fish, coral, etc..? What are you feeding them and how much/often..? Any other useful inforegarding your set up..? Maybe some of those answers can help to find it out.. Also what is your nitrate level..? Lots of us DONT have 0 nitrates, but still have success..

my 24g had 0 nitrates then and now but spiked to 30-40 for a month when I dropped in a bunch of liverock (already cured) that stopped the flow and trapped food.

After feeding less, regular WC's, and adding another powerhead nitrates are back to 0.

It may be nitrate leeching out of the liverock. Some people debate that such a thing can happen, but in my own observations I am convinced that it can. You can test it by putting some of it in saltwater that tests zero for nitrate, then testing that water after the rock has been sitting in it for a week.

:wacko: Once your tank is small, get a never used plastic container (better 20G or so). Take your livestock there, save extra water, than stir the sand, and CHANGE THE BOTTOM WATER.

Moving your live rocks, you gonna "clean" it, steering your sand, do you aerate and take some extra dirt.

Fabiana

I had the same problem with my 24 gallon nano. I just could not get rid of those nitrates until I converted the first chamber in the back into a refugium and added a 1/2 unit of chemi pure to the second chamber. I'm also like clock work with water changes. I change 10% every 7-10 days. Nitrates were all gone in about 2 weeks.

I also have a 2.5 gallion pico with a HOB which I converted into a refugium. Params are perfect with that one too.

I have a real problem keeping my Nitrate low. I have a Media Reactor with denitrate that seems to do very little. My Nitrate level has not changed since it has been added. What is the best way to keep Nitrate low in a small aquarium? Also does Iodine affect Nitrate in any way? Any help would be appreciated.