Help!

capsfan

Does anybody know how to get rid of those pesky snot-string tubeworms? They have pretty much overrun my pico and they irritate my corals and make them look like crap. Somebody? Anybody?

Sounds like vermetid snails. If so, see here: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rs/index.php (scroll down about 3/4 of the way or so.)

Manual removal is most common but it sounds like you may have a lot. Some hermits, according to the article, eat them, too.

Edited by Origami2547

Zebra hermit crabs will eat them. I picked up some from Atlantis (in Richmond) a month or two ago that seem to seek them out. After the crabs I have to look around to find the ones not encrusted by corals now. They seem to leave them alone if the coral has grown around the tube. The others have been pretty much wiped out.

Edited by Stephen

I've squirted super glue gel in their tube before, and didn't have a problem after.

with the lid open? or closed?

I have some of these that are extremely annoying.

bob

• 4 weeks later...

+1 super glue worked on a few for me. Be very careful with manual removal. The shell is very hard and sharp like a shard of glass. I cut up my fingers trying to take them off. Gave up. tok the rock and dried it then used a wire brush to take the shells off.

I've squirted super glue gel in their tube before, and didn't have a problem after.

My god...I have an infestation of these things in my frag tanks. I was counting them as I manually removed them with a scalpel the other day. Lost count at around 600...I didn't even make a dent. They are everywhere and reproduce so fast.

My god...I have an infestation of these things in my frag tanks. I was counting them as I manually removed them with a scalpel the other day. Lost count at around 600...I didn't even make a dent. They are everywhere and reproduce so fast.

That's where I'm having the biggest infestation - all over the plastic frag racks. Yes - they can be removed with a scalpel, but what a pain!

bob

I've never seen these before - any pictures?

They sound like a royal pain - it'd be nice to know what to look out for!

Here's a pic of some in my frag tanks...like Bob said they really like to grow on the eggcrate. There is at least 20 in this one pic.

IMG_1331.jpg

Edited by Nate

Hmm. Just replace the eggcrate and then remove the ones left on other things?

Edited by audible

If it isn't too much trouble you can just remove the racks and let them soak in regular water then brush the snail shell off with a wire brush. It's the rocks and corals you need to be concerned about. These snails grow on, in and under corals and rocks. Once there they are very difficult to remove. They embed themselves pretty good. They irritate the polyps of zoanthid and palythoa colonies so that they wont open. Then the polyps start to die off. Something everyone should look for when they purchase LR especially from an established tank. I got all mine from rocks I purchased from somone on here. I was told they were tube worms. By the time I figured out what they were they had spread to other rocks and even some corals. Sometimes I use epoxy to cover them if the area is large and sometimes I use scissors to scrape them off. Like I said earlier one rock was so infested that i had to take it out. also found out the hard way that they easily p#*!k the flesh. They're very hard.

Here's a pic of some in my frag tanks...like Bob said they really like to grow on the eggcrate. There is at least 20 in this one pic.

IMG_1331.jpg

I had these guys all over some of my live rock. There were so many I was kind of dubious to add them. I finally decided to boil the whole rock.. BOY did I luck out!

The best solution by far is the copperband butterfly. My 120 was infested with these and the copperband make quick work of them. All gone within a week. Just make sure the copperband you buy will eat other stuff as well or it will starve once the vermatids and aiptaisia is gone.

I find that if you leave them alone, their population will ebb and flow much like any other so called 'nuisance' species in our tanks. Besides, it's best to let the natural populations of things flourish in the reef since they add and digest food and add to the overall good health that we all are seeking. If anyone would like to donate any of their so-called 'nuisance' species, I'd be happy to take them all. Maybe since I don't selectively kill things in my tank, that's why it does so well.