Breeding Marine Fish

Almon

Breeding Marine Fish  

58 members have voted

1. 1. What is your interest in breeding Clownfish and other marine fish?

• I am currently breeding marine fish
    • I have a breeding pair, I don't raise the fry, but I would like to
    • I have a breeding pair but I am not interested in taking the time or effort to raise the fry
    • I don't have a breeding pair but I would be interested in becoming a breeder if I had a community of local breeders to help me
    • I have NO interest in becoming a breeder

The solid blue stripe. I nocited two of them are hooked up this morning stayn close. But then that is probably cause there still new to the tank after escaping the breeding net. I plan and have budgeted to get more.

As from me. I noticed the four single neons have now become two pairs. Im almost tempted to ****** a pair at night then place them in the breeder bu then I kinda want to see what there planning to do in regards to breeding.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As from me. I noticed the four single neons have now become two pairs. Im almost tempted to ****** a pair at night then place them in the breeder bu then I kinda want to see what there planning to do in regards to breeding.

Congrats on all fish making it. Would you be able to retreive the eggs if they began breeding in the reef tank?

Congrats on all fish making it. Would you be able to retreive the eggs if they began breeding in the reef tank?

I thought about that possibly happening. So I made some extra 1/2in pvc caves and I will place them in the tank. once I see eggs I will transfer them to the breeding net. I will try to keep things simple since this is my first time and all the books and articles I have read can only help out so much.

I'm going to start the Rotifer culture in about two weeks. I just started a new batch of phyto and it wil be mature in the next week. Im currently using the fist half of the batch to feed the corals in the tank at night.

Do you know if phyto should be kept in the fridge or should I leave it out of the fridge near the tank and shake it once a day?

Do you know if phyto should be kept in the fridge or should I leave it out of the fridge near the tank and shake it once a day?

I would think it should be refrigerated unless it's used quickly.

I would be happy to house and grow out once they are on prepared foods, I can dedicate some room.

john

Great! Thanks.

We now have a handful of Egg Suppliers, a couple Hatchers, and a few Growers. Excellent!

We're still looking for more Egg Suppliers. If you have a breeding pair, please post here or send a pm. We would like to hatch those eggs or help you hatch them and get them to distribution.

I would think it should be refrigerated unless it's used quickly.

I was thinking the same thing. But I guess if I were to leave it out in the room it would need to be constantly bubbled to keep the cells from crushing each other. But for no I have it in the fridge and give a good shake once a day or so.

Success!!!! I have Eggs on Tile. Yeah Baby! :smokin:

I put several tiles covering the glass where she was previously laying. She laid in the exact same spot, but on the new tile. Wohooo!

Doug, get ready for 800-1000 Clarkii eggs, brother.

awesome. I wish I could get my blacks laying. They have plenty of tiles in a dedicated 30g love nest. Though I did stick my hand in there last night and was viciously attacked in about 2 seconds by both the male and female. THey need to get busy.

My last 2 hatches of orange o' have only led to about 20 surviving fish. My rots crashed a bit, but are coming back after a few water changes. I think the large variations of food avail while I was on vacation did a number on them. (craig fed them much more than I did while i was on vacation).

I also found 2 babies in my rot containers today. I have about a 100 in a 10 gal tank right now. I think it's a little crowded, they are jumping out on me! Time to add another tank, the wife will be soooo pleased.

My Perc's are now a mating pair. I see a patch of eggs between 2 RBTA's on a rock. How long do they remain there before they disappear?

How often to they lay eggs?

I might setup a 20L to hatch them next time if I can get a tile in that place. Although it's a tiny 1x1 inch patch of rock.

My Perc's are now a mating pair. I see a patch of eggs between 2 RBTA's on a rock. How long do they remain there before they disappear?

I might setup a 20L to hatch them next time if I can get a tile in that place. Although it's a tiny 1x1 inch patch of rock.

Sweet!

How about a flower pot, maybe one broken in half?

My Clarkiis are on a 11 day cycle, 8 days to hatch and 3 days to lay again

Day 1 - Lay eggs

Day 9 - Eggs Hatch

Day 12 - Lay eggs again

I think Doug's Oscellaris are on a 12 day cycle. 8 days to hatch and 4 to lay again.

• 1 month later...

I have begun to raise the fry and have two (2) hatches currently going. The 1st hatch is now on day 19 and they are doing very well. The second hatch in on day 9 and also doing well. It was not as difficult as I thought. The unknown is always scary.

The next hatch is on Monday night and there are approximately 1200 eggs. I'm expecting to have a large number of fish from the 3 hatches. I don't have the room to grow them out at my house so I'm glad I'm able to partner with other people.

IMG_7371a.JPG

IMG_7393a.JPG

I have begun to raise the fry and have two (2) hatches currently going. The 1st hatch is now on day 19 and they are doing very well. The second hatch in on day 9 and also doing well. It was not as difficult as I thought. The unknown is always scary.

The next hatch is on Monday night and there are approximately 1200 eggs. I'm expecting to have a large number of fish from the 3 hatches. I don't have the room to grow them out at my house so I'm glad I'm able to partner with other people.

Oh Wow that's a lot of little fish! I guess I should expect a few batches to raise soon?

Do you want my pair of black ocellaris?

IMG_7371a.JPG

IMG_7393a.JPG

A whole tank of Clowns, thats adorable. Are you guys supplying stores or are you just doing it for fun and passing them out to forum members? Been thinking about getting a pair of clowns in the future.

Almon, this is really a cool idea you have.

My oscellaris pair just started laying eggs late last month. They've been together for around 2 years now. They just put down their second clutch two days ago. I've not made a decision to start trying to rear any but may do some reading on the subject (or pay a visit to one of those who've been successful - meaning you, Doug - to see how it's done) just to satisfy my curiousity. However, "satisfying my curiousity" often gets me in deeper....

A whole tank of Clowns, thats adorable. Are you guys supplying stores or are you just doing it for fun and passing them out to forum members? Been thinking about getting a pair of clowns in the future.

One or two hatches would easily saturate the local club. LFS are the obvious initial target for distribtution and we are partnering with some of them, but the vision is national distribution.

Almon, this is really a cool idea you have.

My oscellaris pair just started laying eggs late last month. They've been together for around 2 years now. They just put down their second clutch two days ago. I've not made a decision to start trying to rear any but may do some reading on the subject (or pay a visit to one of those who've been successful - meaning you, Doug - to see how it's done) just to satisfy my curiousity. However, "satisfying my curiousity" often gets me in deeper....

This is my setup. I moved the refridgerator to the right 10 feet out of the way and built a stand with four (4) 10g tanks for rearing tanks for multiple hatches (plus I have a 40 breeder below for another spawing pair). It doesn't take up much more space than the refridgerator. The rotifers are in the buckets below. I have 15g of rotifers because I am expecting a huge hatch tonight. I have to collect them from the top of the main diplay reef tank.

IMG_7474a.JPG

This is a picture of the four (4) bottle phyto station I built. It has three (3) 20" flourecent bulbs. It also has the brine shrimp hatchery next to it to hatch baby brine and then to enrich (emulsify) them.

IMG_7476a.JPG

Guys, I have a breeding pair of black ocellaris (misbars) at home and if they ever lay on a tile, the eggs are yours.

I also have a pair of breeding gold bar maroons at school, but they haven't laid since I picked them up from Hunter, although they're just now getting back into normalcy and have their anemone back in school (they've been settled in for about a month but we just realized that the light hasn't been cycling off so they're all out of whack right now).

There are also another pair of bonded gold bar maroons and two pairs of ocellaris with a third pair on the way, but none of these are egg-laying, most likely because we try and reduce the amount of food we supply because of the water chemistry issues that arise with overfeeding in a school.

Of course, if any of these lay eggs and they're viable and removable, you are welcome to them with one condition - you have to come in and give a talk with pictures to the kids if you successfully rear the young and offer some of the young back to the school and the individual children whose classes they came from. I think that a tradeoff to this whole breeding project is that you can hook another generation even more than I already am with the promise of free fish that came from their very own classroom!

One or two hatches would easily saturate the local club. LFS are the obvious initial target for distribtution and we are partnering with some of them, but the vision is national distribution.

Cool, I plan on pciking some Picasso's up so if they start laying eggs I'll keep you guys in mind.

Just saw this thread. Great job Almon! One day I'll have to take a trip over to your place and you can show me how your rotifer system works...Very curious. Maybe one day I'll convince the woman to let me setup something similar. I have a pair of clakii clowns that lay eggs every 14 days and have done so for almost a year now. Never tried raising though. Its nice to hear that its not as tough as it looks/sounds. Looks like we found a speaker for the next meeting.

IMG_7371a.JPG

Edited by Nate