Breeding Marine Fish

Almon

Breeding Marine Fish  

58 members have voted

1. 1. What is your interest in breeding Clownfish and other marine fish?

• I am currently breeding marine fish
    • I have a breeding pair, I don't raise the fry, but I would like to
    • I have a breeding pair but I am not interested in taking the time or effort to raise the fry
    • I don't have a breeding pair but I would be interested in becoming a breeder if I had a community of local breeders to help me
    • I have NO interest in becoming a breeder

Cool, I plan on pciking some Picasso's up so if they start laying eggs I'll keep you guys in mind.

Sweet! Let me know. :clap:

Guys, I have a breeding pair of black ocellaris (misbars) at home and if they ever lay on a tile, the eggs are yours.

I also have a pair of breeding gold bar maroons at school, but they haven't laid since I picked them up from Hunter, although they're just now getting back into normalcy and have their anemone back in school (they've been settled in for about a month but we just realized that the light hasn't been cycling off so they're all out of whack right now).

There are also another pair of bonded gold bar maroons and two pairs of ocellaris with a third pair on the way, but none of these are egg-laying, most likely because we try and reduce the amount of food we supply because of the water chemistry issues that arise with overfeeding in a school.

Of course, if any of these lay eggs and they're viable and removable, you are welcome to them with one condition - you have to come in and give a talk with pictures to the kids if you successfully rear the young and offer some of the young back to the school and the individual children whose classes they came from. I think that a tradeoff to this whole breeding project is that you can hook another generation even more than I already am with the promise of free fish that came from their very own classroom!

Dave, that's awesome, and I'm all for it. Maybe we help them raise some fry? Teach them the food chain from the beginning...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard part is the fact that we're not in school on weekends - the perfect opportunity for something as delicate as a rot culture or greenwater to die off and for a tank full of offspring to die off...

• 4 weeks later...

The hatcher/grower concept mentioned earlier in this thread is officially underway. Doug and Almon have each brought a batch of their tank-bred fish to grow in my coral tubs. These fish will be added to my wholesale availability list within the next few days. What remains to be seen is how well they grow in a non-clown-specific system and how easy it is to catch them for shipout. We plan to keep most of these fish available to the DC metro area until there are enough of them to warrant selling to larger markets.

Doug's ocellaris with some of my propagated Rose anemones:

PB220095.jpg

Almon's clarkiis that immediately took to some neon green sinularia:

PB220100.jpg

Amazingly, there are over 100 fish in a little ball of clarkiis that measures about 3" around. I could probably keep 50,000 fish of this size in a single tub!

Also good news is that my B&W ocellaris have laid eggs on their flowerpot, so hopefully in a few weeks I'll have pics of some of those babies too.

Everything is going swimmingly. ;)

115 Clarkii clowns shown in Ctenophore's tub above are from my 1st two hatches. The third hatch I estimate to be 200 shown here. They are 5 weeks old and will be ready to transfer to the greenhouse next weekend.

IMG_7558a_jpg.jpg

These Clarkii have a very interesting stripe pattern on their dorsal and caudal fins.

IMG_7566a_jpg.jpg

Oh yeah.....the eggs from Ctenophore's Black and White Ocellaris have just hatched. Justin brought them over yesterday for me to hatch and grow through metamorphasis. After 4 or 5 weeks, they will then head back to the greenhouse for a few months of growout before being sold.

• 2 months later...

Anyone want ocellaris clown fish eggs?!! :biggrin: I have a rock that I can easily remove with eggs that have sets of eyes growing on them. They were spawned last week and these will be about a week old on Tuesday. About 50 eggs? Dad keeping a close eye on them.... You can call me @ 301 -452-5313. PLEASE!

I can easily supply eggs with my regularly spawning O. clowns so LMK what to do from here!

Edited by hbh

Almon, Any update on the B/W Ocellaris?

Thanks for asking.

The B/W O's are doing very well, although the winter weather tried its best to kill them all.

I have received five (5) flower pots with eggs. The first and second hatch are shown here, approximately 220 of them. There are about 150 in the 3rd batch. The 4th batch was lost due to the power outages, and the 5th batch has just hatched with about 100.

IMG_8376A_JPG.jpg IMG_8328a_JPG.jpg IMG_8315a_JPG.jpg

Holly, I'll take the some eggs after the winter storms rolls through. Justing or I can pick them up. You may want to try putting a small tile or whole/half a flower pot in the tank for the clowns to lay on. That will be easier to move and replace.

• 2 weeks later...

Almon, thanks! I will try a flowerpot. My clown had fuzzy lips again the same week as the hatch- but I think the 'nem covered them up (And ate them?? Is that possible?)as they were missing the next day and my DD saw the eggs. I still have my Qt up and running just in case.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

Im in the process of setting up some cultures again and planning on try to breed Nass vibex, Nass pauper, Sexy Shrimp, lettuce nudi ( I've had them spawn before). and Maybe some fish.

Quick update on the B&W clowns. I picked up about half of the larger babies that Almon posted pics of a few days ago. They are now in a rose anemone tub in the greenhouse:

JMC_4599.jpg

Depending on the light, they either look dark, almost maroon-black, or bright red:

JMC_4600.jpg

I am interested to see if bright sunlight helps them develop their all-black color faster than artificial light.

Once it warms up a little, the contents of this rubbermaid tub will go into one of the large white 750gal tubs.

fish are looking great, too funny to see all that you have.

I have a pair of picasso's coming on thursday most likely, once they mature and if they ever lay eggs i would really like to raise them so ill be taggin along and looking for help, Eventually my try to find a snowcasso pair as well but that is waaay down the road. im just excited to get the picasso's ill be sure to post pics up.

great program though.

• 10 months later...

I notice that is has been a year since the last post and I hope a smooth system has been worked out. I am building a large tank although it won't be ready for another 6 to 12 months. When it is ready it will have a phyto and zooplankton culture system. I'd like to help the breeding group out if there is still any niche that needs my help. Keep up the good work.

Dave W.