It seems that a lot of my favorite local stores are closing :(

Gurnie

Here is the definition of an opinion.

1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.

In other words, keep them do yourself, unless you have hard facts (water test in this example).

Need I say more?

Here is the definition of an opinion.

1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.

In other words, keep them do yourself, unless you have hard facts (water test in this example).

Need I say more?

Looks like the pot calling the kettle black... your post is your opinion, just like the rest of us, people have the right to say what they want within reason, who are you or I to be the judge of that... The original poster never said the place was tainted, simply they werent comfortable... Everyone on here is intitled to speak their piece on there experiences.. Some people, myself included were talking about roozens being a not so presentable place and no one got snappy about it, but bc Tom threw a fit, now its an issue... Freedom of speach, if you dont like it move to a communist country and live in silence..!

Well as I have said in the past and I still believe, this distracts from the potential greatness of this site. Did everyone know that the GSA skimmer is much better then the Deltec by a long shot. This is settled fact. :laugh: :)

Some WAMAS people are pretty flip with negative comments whether they are stating "facts" or their opinion. I think they should be more thoughtful in their postings. I have no problem with MS calling someone out to explain their point of view. I think the MS response is an indication of the perceived harm (actual harm?) that negative off-hand remarks can have.

Some people, myself included were talking about roozens being a not so presentable place and no one got snappy about it, but bc Tom threw a fit, now its an issue...

Perhaps this is because the person whose livelihood is directly effected in that case does not read these boards.

Borrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring

enough excitement to have you keep checking back. :biggrin:

Please be respectful and allow all to have their say, whether you agree or not.

This thread should really go back to between Gurnie, the buyer, and Tom, the seller. The rest of the comments are just fluffs. If nothing more can be said to make Gurnie feels more comfortable with the water quality, and if Tom doesn't know what else he can say or do remedy it, then this thread should closed and move on.

I think they should be more thoughtful in their postings.

I agree. Make sure TMS is on that list. Remember, it is Tom's post that created negativity towards his store - not Gurnie's. Gurnie's fairly weak comment had already been disputed by his customers, and yet he chose to directly attack him/her.

I have no problem with MS calling someone out to explain their point of view. I think the MS response is an indication of the perceived harm (actual harm?) that negative off-hand remarks can have.

No one has a problem with Tom asking for Gurnie to explain. Without the last paragraph of his post, Tom would not have been called out for his comments. A poor show of customer service/public relations does more harm than any badmouthing by a single customer. As I stated before, Tom's best course of action would have been to ignore the post and let his customers do his public relations, resulting in a positive view towards his store based on the number of good experiences and customers defending him. Instead, he has this.

Perhaps this is because the person whose livelihood is directly effected in that case does not read these boards.

So we are only allowed to discuss vendors who AREN'T on this site?

(edited)
So we are only allowed to discuss vendors who AREN'T on this site?

I didn't indicate anything like that.

I just pointed out that obviously that is the reason the vendor didn't provide a heated response, not that one specific vendor is more volatile than another, which is what was being claimed

I think they should be more thoughtful in their postings.

+1

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

enough excitement to have you keep checking back. :biggrin:

Eh, I wouldn't call it "excitement"... Lol. People telling other people what they can and cannot say is dumb and boring.

I'm just hear for the soap opera.

Time to start a new show - When Vendors Attack!

If I hadn't decided long ago not to return to TMS due to poor customer service (personal experience, so I will not provide proof), I'd certainly be turned off by the vendor's response in this case - similar to another vendor a few weeks ago. Gurnie said nothing out of line. He questions the quality of TMS's water and is sad that his options are now limited due to some shops closing their doors. Some of our vendors (sponsors or not), need to learn to deal with criticism or those with concerns. Not every negative thought is meant to attack or close down businesses. Question why the consumer has a concern and ask how to rectify the problem. It would go a long way versus demeaning and devaluing a customers opinion about your store. It could have been as simple as Gurnie coming to your store on a bad day (dirty tanks) or making a purchase which died. Those things happen, so learn to deal.

So sad to see such frustration from vendors which then turns into a big ugly mess.

Back to the topic... I agree that seeing AquaCo close its doors is disappointing. It's a good 50 miles or so for me to get there, but Sean made it worth it. Clean and great service. I've heard and read great things about Pristine, so I'll make it there one day. Until then, BRK is my shop of choice. While I've been there when the tanks were dirty as well, the customer service (especially from Ozzy) always brings my family and I back. They've stocked most of my tank with healthy corals and fish, so I can't complain.

Maru in F'burg and PetForum in Charlottesville have some work to do before I spend my money at their shops - although PetForum was trying to clean things up last time I was there.

This thread should really go back to between Gurnie, the buyer, and Tom, the seller. The rest of the comments are just fluffs. If nothing more can be said to make Gurnie feels more comfortable with the water quality, and if Tom doesn't know what else he can say or do remedy it, then this thread should closed and move on.

I think we all scared Gurnie away :biggrin: Maybe we can all meet at the White House to resolve this with the cops from up north :clap: Only paid members invited :lol2:

(edited)
I think we all scared Gurnie away :biggrin: Maybe we can all meet at the White House to resolve this with the cops from up north :clap: Only paid members invited :lol2:

Hey I used to be a paid member. I'm just lazy now. So you're offering to pay for Gurnie to be a member too? Btw, Fair Lakes isn't in Centreville. Ask me how I know. :)

Edited by audible

Can the original poster please elaborate on his concerns regarding marine scenes water?

Maybe Tom could have worded his reply more carefully. But I won't hold it against him.

The marine scene has been around since I first got into the hobby a long time ago.

I remember when Tom came to my house to test my water for me and give advice.

No body is perfect. I see criticism on TV all the time talking about what someone said this or that.

David

Everyone on WAMAS, members or not, should never be afraid to express the opinions or concerns as long as it's not a threat, degrade or defame anyone.

I think this thread can be very constructive and positive if we all learn from it.

I believe all opinions needs to be expressed if you do so in a informed and polite manner. Heck, even uninformed opinions will be meet with replies from more knowledgeable folk that will try to inform and teach us noobies.

I also believe that vendors, being more knowledgeable and having more gravitas need to be more thoughtful when replying in here. I really hope that Gurnie didn't get scared away. And I also hope Tom took note of our replies and can take the positive from it.