Cone Snail Removal.

reefmontalvo

(edited)

This past weekend I upgraded from a 75 gallon to a 120 gallon tank. In the process of moving everything over discovered I had some good things and bad things. Got a few frags I'm most likely gonna place for sale but more importantly I came across a snail I remember buying at an establishment here in VA ( Dont ask I will not disclose). Some time back I purchased what I thought were 15 or so nassarius snails, but one of them was really huge and had a different pattern on its shell and the salesman and I thought maybe he was just a good eater since it had the trunk like the other just a shell looking a bit differnet then the rest. Thinking nothing of it I threw it in the 75g tank. I even placed a queen conch in the 75g tank and have had no problems, but I did notice after making the new transfer to a larger 120g tank I only had about 10 large nassarius snails from the 30 or so I have purchased in the past and I saw no signs of the babies they were once roaming around. My thing is after seeing that snail last week and picking it up I did a quick examination and then threw him in the new tank not realizing the snail could have killed me with one sting. I did some research and realized I have what believe is a cone snail in my tank.

My question is how would I get him out of the tank with out literally breaking the tank down? O r should I just leave him alone since it has never caused any threat to the fish in the tank?

Edited by reefmontalvo

This past weekend I upgraded from a 75 gallon to a 120 gallon tank. In the process of moving everything over discovered I had some good things and bad things. Got a few frags I'm most likely gonna place for sale but more importantly I came across a snail I remember buying at an establishment here in VA ( Dont ask I will not disclose). Some time back I purchased what I thought were 15 or so nassarius snails, but one of them was really huge and had a different pattern on its shell and the salesman and I thought maybe he was just a good eater since it had the trunk like the other just a shell looking a bit differnet then the rest. Thinking nothing of it I threw it in the 75g tank. I even placed a queen conch in the 75g tank and have had no problems, but I did notice after making the new transfer to a larger 120g tank I only had about 10 large nassarius snails from the 30 or so I have purchased in the past and I saw no signs of the babies they were once roaming around. My thing is after seeing that snail last week and picking it up I did a quick examination and then threw him in the new tank not realizing the snail could have killed me with one sting. I did some research and realized I have what believe is a cone snail in my tank.

My question is how would I get him out of the tank with out literally breaking the tank down? O r should I just leave him alone since it has never caused any threat to the fish in the tank?

If it were me and I were uncomfortable or unsure of what I had. If I thought it was something that could harm me, I'd err in the side of caution. I'd remove the snail when I saw it again. I'd be very careful when having to sift through or manipulate the sand in anyway until I caught the snail. After I caught it I'd offer it to an aquarium or someplace that knows how to handle it, not the LFS that would sell it. I would not feel comfortable saying that it isn't what you think it is unless I were a marine biologist or some other professional along those lines.

Removal should be easy:

1. Put your hand in the sand 'till it sticks you
  2. remove hand from tank
  3. remove pest from finger
  4. flush said pest down the toilet
  5. Have a family drive you to the ER (or call 911)

Removal should be easy:

2. remove hand from tank

There you go. Fast and simple....LOL

Are you sure it's a cone snail? Could it be an olive snail? They look very similar to cone snails, and it's pretty rare to find a cone snail.

I will do more research on seeing if it's an Olive snail.

Removal should be easy:

2. remove hand from tank

Yeah funny you said that I had a dream the sucker jabbed me. They do expel a harpoon tied to a venom sac. I was checking my finger all night looking for a sore spot. :eek:

If you'd like to get rid of the potential cone snail, I'll give you a zoa frag for it.

Depends on what you got I got some pretty neet zoas colonies. That are both colorful and rare.

Chris, can you get a picture of it to post?

Tom,

I will try to find him and take a photo. Somethign told me to take its photo the day I was moving him from the old tank. But it is a good size snail about 3.5" in length and about an inch wide.

Do you have a picture?? The only cones that could probably really hurt you are Conus Textilus and Conus Gloriamaris. If it is a Gloria-Maris, I'll give you $50 for it. :) At one time the dead, empty shells sold for $2000.

Handle by the blunt end only, and you have nothing to worry about. I have many cone shells in my seashell collection, and most of them can only kill minnows. On a good day. But I reckon it would still hurt.

And yes - they do like to kill snails.

bob

Do you have a picture?? The only cones that could probably really hurt you are Conus Textilus and Conus Gloriamaris. If it is a Gloria-Maris, I'll give you $50 for it. :) At one time the dead, empty shells sold for $2000.

Handle by the blunt end only, and you have nothing to worry about. I have many cone shells in my seashell collection, and most of them can only kill minnows. On a good day. But I reckon it would still hurt.

And yes - they do like to kill snails.

bob

Well so far I only found the Queen. But I plan on trying to find the guy on my days off. I really have no plans to sell him but crazier things have happen.

After sifting thru the photos and doing lots of research I did some searching in the tank and found the snail. Now how do I upload the pictures? I know this is silly but I never posted photos on here and when I try to system always has some type of fault.

I set up an album in the members' gallery area (there's a quick link near the top of my page that says "My Albums"). Then, I "Insert Gallery Image" using one of the icons in the Fast Reply or Reply box (it's the one that looks like a picture with the number "2" shown). When you click on the icon, it brings up another pop-up window where you can select the image.

I set up an album in the members' gallery area (there's a quick link near the top of my page that says "My Albums"). Then, I "Insert Gallery Image" using one of the icons in the Fast Reply or Reply box (it's the one that looks like a picture with the number "2" shown). When you click on the icon, it brings up another pop-up window where you can select the image.

Tom,

I made the album now how do I post it on the forum? I called it "Possible Cone Snail".

+1 ... I wrestled with it until I got onto Photobucket. They have a pre-built image tag, you just click on to copy.

bob

easiest way is to use photobucket, otherwise, Jason explained it best: http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?show...photo+uploading

I tried that way but it was way too confusing since the photos arent there.

+1 ... I wrestled with it until I got onto Photobucket. They have a pre-built image tag, you just click on to copy.

bob

And I think I will need to get a photo bucket account. But I was able to load them to the my albums section.

(edited)

This is after I sifted in the sand and found him. The snail mainly stay under the sand. I knwo it moves fast becasue after these photos were taken it the period of about 2 minutes or less the snail was gone. And there was no trace in the sand of were it could have gone.

gallery_2631308_612_76409.jpg

gallery_2631308_612_64055.jpg

gallery_2631308_612_117800.jpg

gallery_2631308_612_25196.jpg

Edited by reefmontalvo

looks like an olive snail to me, the shape is different than the pictures of the cone snails. I would still handle with care, but it looks like you are already handling it in the pictures, and I think you are still alive....

john

Yup that's what I got the articel was pretty neat. I guess this whole time it was eating bristtle worms and anything else it wanted. It has never gone after any of the fish. :) with my luck I probably jinxed my self and will have residents come up missing. :wacko: