Sikryd's 125g RR tank upgrade

Sikryd

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything is looking great! That Sobe is really coloring up for you. Wish I could say the same about mine. :(

Thanks - yeah the Sobe is one of my fav's.

I have a couple like that too where the color and growth isn't like others I've seen.

Hope you had a good time in Florida! I gotta make it down that way some day.

Some pictures I added to a controversial thread on R2R - figured I'd add them to my tank thread smile.gif

Awesome coloration on those chalices. Btw, what was the controversy about? Hopefully, nothing to do with you :biggrin:

Awesome coloration on those chalices. Btw, what was the controversy about? Hopefully, nothing to do with you :biggrin:

Me starting anything? Of course not :)

I just started a discussion to see what is the deal with people selling corals with powerbrite/super actinic pictures only -

It was extrememly popular as you can imagine.

I love the fluorescence that powerbrites bring out, but it is downright deceptive and fraud to sell coral based on those pictures alone since the same coral MOST people wouldn't even recognize if they saw it under powerbrites/superactinics vs. "normal" lighting. Or vs. versa.

Renato - I cut it once and was pretty bumbed I did (See how much smaller than the others :( ). Nothing is getting cut barring needed some coral $ pretty bad. Hit me up with a pm and I'll send over the guys addy that I got it from.

Me starting anything? Of course not :)

I just started a discussion to see what is the deal with people selling corals with powerbrite/super actinic pictures only -

It was extrememly popular as you can imagine.

Just finished reading that entire post again... LOL... What a way to stir things up :laugh:

It's an extremely important topic and as long as we have differences in lighting schemes will probably rage on forever.

You mentioned having 4 x 250 Phoenix's. You noticing any heat issues in the 125g?

Just finished reading that entire post again... LOL... What a way to stir things up laugh.gif

It's an extremely important topic and as long as we have differences in lighting schemes will probably rage on forever.

You mentioned having 4 x 250 Phoenix's. You noticing any heat issues in the 125g?

It is, and I finally felt it was time to bring it up and see how everyone else felt. That site is pretty much for selling/buying nowadays and it gets old seeing some of the guys put stuff up with super-saturated photos/powerbrites/actinic shots to try and sell stuff that you wouldn't even recognize if it was in your tank under "regular" lighting.

It won't solve the issue, but at least it sheds light on it to those that are newer to the hobby.

I was burned when I didn't know better, so I figure hopefully that will save some others. :)

No heat issues now that I have my lights staggered. There was when I had all 4 on at the same time. Now I have the middle two come on for 5-6 hours, then the outside ones. It makes the par in the middle of the tank ~ 400 in the sand (~1000 an inch below the surface, so my higher light stuff goes in the middle of the tank) The right/left sides get about 200-300 in the sand. So all my rainbow acans color isn't the best, but the growth is awesome. I'll worry about lowering the light and coloring them up when they go in the new tank.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks everyone. Believe it or not, I couldn't fit all of them in the picture :) I just wish it would have been in focus with the right color.....one of these days I pony up for a better camera. That or have more patience with this point n shoot.

UPDATE -

Well we couldn't pass up the Achilles Tang that Bob (CMAS) told us about, so we picked it up today at House of Tropical. It didn't come home with use though. He is in the cultured lr tank, so we left him in there till I get the QT tank setup this weekend.

I ordered the rock from Marco, and called for quotes on a new tank today. So it looks like we are on the way to getting the new tank setup within the next couple of months or so.

The basement will have carpet on Monday, and furniture on Tuesday. So it is 95% done now. Just a few more things to do and we'll be chillin' down there.

I can't wait to get this new hdmi switch and ir repeater. All of the entertainment stuff will be under the stairs - just a floating TV with and fireplace on the entertainment wall. I'm sure hooking it all up will be a lot of fun though smile.gif

If anyone knows of a good vendor to get a tank from, lmk. So far these are the ones I called -

Roozens

HOT

Fins and Feathers

I tried the place that zygote posted on the other thread, but she said that I would have to go through an authorized dealer, not directly through her.

I also heard that Oceanic was bought by perfecto, who dissolved Oceanic, so it looks like a Perfecto/Marineland tank is probably what it will be. Unless a custom tank comes in pretty close to the other quotes.

Miracles is a good place to get a custom. When I get my floors redone, I will be ordering a 72x24x20 from them. Should be in the area of $1500 or so, shipped to my door. Not sure if that is what your looking at, but I think its worth it...

Miracles is a good place to get a custom. When I get my floors redone, I will be ordering a 72x24x20 from them. Should be in the area of $1500 or so, shipped to my door. Not sure if that is what your looking at, but I think its worth it...

Can you send me any contact info you have? I'll check with them. I have about 4 quotes I am waiting on, but would like to get a "custom" tank quote too.

That Acan picture is amazing! Nice arrangement.

Thanks Jeff - If I find my "underwater" tripod I'll get a nice in focus one. My acan area is one of my favorite parts of the tank. I just need a nice GREEN one if anyone sees one somewhere, or has one.

epleeds - I just emailed miracles, so we'll see.

Now to go make a 3d rendering to make sure a 180g "looks" perfect in the space/room.

(edited)

I did a new rendering of the basement to see what 72x24x24 with 40" stand would look like. I just wanted to make sure it looked aestetically pleasing, or if adjustments to the size would be needed.

It looks good to me.

I made a few calls this weekend for quotes, so we'll see what happens.

(It is all to scale and what the basement looks like now, except for the stairs, they're close though smile.gif )

Side note - The power went out the day after the transfer switch and electrical finishing was done. It works great. I just need to get a bigger generator now. We'll be picking up a 7500w one in the next 6 months or so. So if anyone is looking for a 3750w Troy-Built with ~8hours on it, lmk ($300).

Carpet on Monday, furniture on Tuesday. So I should have a short video of it this coming week.

newtankarea-1.jpg

newtankarea2-1.jpg

Edited by Sikryd

Chip was asking about the 200g or a 36" tank on CMAS - so I figured I would put up a picture of the rendering I did to double check and make sure the 180g is the "best fit". It is of course, as you can see from the rendering. Plus I know the wife and I would miss the 6ft tank too much.

Next I am going to do a 7ft tank with it in the corner, to see how it looks. I think it turns out to be a 210g if I go that route.

newtankarea200.jpg

rendering looks good, you thought anything about a custom L tank to wrap it around that corner a litle (you could make it 9 feet in overall length that way hehe.

Check out Costco, we got a 7500w generator for really cheap this year, helped that it was before the snow but they may have some left after that mess. The honda generators are REALLY quiet but just pay attention to the motor manufacterer.

Good luck finding the tank, make sure we get the mandatory mermaid shop, hope being a dad is easier then they say and your getting sleep now

rendering looks good, you thought anything about a custom L tank to wrap it around that corner a litle (you could make it 9 feet in overall length that way hehe.

Check out Costco, we got a 7500w generator for really cheap this year, helped that it was before the snow but they may have some left after that mess. The honda generators are REALLY quiet but just pay attention to the motor manufacterer.

Good luck finding the tank, make sure we get the mandatory mermaid shop, hope being a dad is easier then they say and your getting sleep now

This is thegenerator I plan on getting, unless I change my mind.

I'm keeping the tank a manageable size, not to mention in a budget.

Still not much sleep, especially with so many other projects going on.

I'm just waiting on quotes now. I'll probably make a few more calls tomorrow to see about glass cages and another builder in NY.

It looks like the rock will be here next week. So I'll get it cycling now with the 150g stock tank. All the sand and rock will go in it, with a light and everything like it is a regular tank, then just transfer it to the new tank when it is ready. It should cut down the cycle or make it non-existant like I have done in the past. That way there is very little if any waiting when I get the new tank.

Here are some quick pictures.

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

What is this michael vicks house, haha, cool dogs but its hard to wear black (our dog sheds non stop and has black white and brown so any color is covered.

finishing work looks really nice i like the color as well. im sure its hard to wait for the tank, are you going to be keeping tanks on 2 floors or just move everything downstairs?

that generator should treat you well, the briggs motor is a good one, not the worlds quietist but are pretty reliable from my past research. There is a shop out in sterling that we have used for years (sterling mower i think) and they doo good work as well as sell generators, snowblowers etc.

What is this michael vicks house, haha, cool dogs but its hard to wear black (our dog sheds non stop and has black white and brown so any color is covered.

finishing work looks really nice i like the color as well. im sure its hard to wait for the tank, are you going to be keeping tanks on 2 floors or just move everything downstairs?

that generator should treat you well, the briggs motor is a good one, not the worlds quietist but are pretty reliable from my past research. There is a shop out in sterling that we have used for years (sterling mower i think) and they doo good work as well as sell generators, snowblowers etc.

LOL - yeah the dogs were having a good time down there - I didn't realize they were fighting till I got till I got it on the computer.

The old tank is coming down after the new tank is up and running for a week or so.

I have the smaller version of the same generator and love it so far.