Crustacean Wars VI video now available

I posted the full Crustacean Wars VI video.

Watching this video, I learned something very interesting about Coral Banded Shrimp that I did not know (and I have not found with minimal google-ing at this point). Watch the scene starting at 2:00 a few times. I put a slo-mo replay of that scene in also. Amazing stuff. Easier to see in high quality.

This was another 30 minute battle. This was the biggest Coral Banded Shrimp I could find, and I looked at dozens.

If you do not want to see a video of a mantis shrimp engaging in it's normal hunting/eating behavior, do not watch this video.

tim

Well the video quality was very good, but the CBS wasn't much of a contender. Hardly a "War", but I might feel differently if I had a CBS in my tank at some point and he misbehaved. Kinda like a large Domino Damsel that I had if suggestions are taken

Does mantis take dead food? If they don't then I can understand you have to feed it something. The video just a bit too much for me.

Yes, mine eat thawed frozen krill - although it is necessary to feed live food so their raptoral appendages stay strong, and to aid in molting. It's all a part of life, I'd stay away from Animal Planet.

Hey Tim, have your mantis molted since you've had it? My N. wennerae has and completely changed from green to cream colored. My peacock hasn't yet, and they have the same feeding schedule. Just curious.

Here...DONT EAT ME

Yep.

I just couldn't believe it when I reviewed the video. He pulled his own claw off, and held it out until the mantis took it.

Then, the mantis played with it for a long time, giving the Coral Banded Shrimp plenty of time to escape. A great tactic that would have worked in the ocean.

I have not been able to find any documentation of this behavior online (although I didn't try too hard).

still think you should do one of those giant hermits with a big strong shell, or even a med larger hermit like the zebras

Did you miss Crustacean Wars V? LINK

That hermit was HUGE.

Does mantis take dead food? If they don't then I can understand you have to feed it something. The video just a bit too much for me.

I tried to warn you. All my videos are the same. They show his natural behavior. Don't watch them if you don't want to see that. He doesn't eat frozen food in the wild.

"If you do not want to see a video of a mantis shrimp engaging in it's normal hunting/eating behavior, do not watch this video."

Well the video quality was very good, but the CBS wasn't much of a contender. Hardly a "War",

Most wars I am aware of had resulted in one side losing badly.

Hey Tim, have your mantis molted since you've had it? My N. wennerae has and completely changed from green to cream colored. My peacock hasn't yet, and they have the same feeding schedule. Just curious.

Yeah, he has molted twice that I am aware of. Seems to go a very long time between molts, which is what you want since the larger ones can have bad molts which result in problems.

Peacocks are known to bury their molt shells, so it is possible he has molted and you don't know it. Also, the molt shell seems to be a bunch of small pieces, not one big one (unless he broke it up after molting), so easier to conceal and miss.

tim

I understand if it is in the wild and all animals trying to survive. If they have to eat live food in captivity I understand that too. The thing that I don't understand is why does watching two animals fight to death is fun.

I am sure my post is going to offend many people. I am not saying you are wrong. I am just saying I don't enjoy watching. I tried to hold back my comments for few weeks now. I should not post this one either. :) I promise I wouldn't post another one.

I understand if it is in the wild and all animals trying to survive. If they have to eat live food in captivity I understand that too. The thing that I don't understand is why does watching two animals fight to death is fun.

I am sure my post is going to offend many people. I am not saying you are wrong. I am just saying I don't enjoy watching. I tried to hold back my comments for few weeks now. I should not post this one either. :) I promise I wouldn't post another one.

I won't get drawn into an argument over this.

I've heard about this with crabs in general. I thought it was called auto-amputation or something.

Porcelain crabs will do this with their big claws if sufficiently threatened... they just pop them off and run away. In fact, I read somewhere that the large claws on Porcelain crabs are mostly for show, and they will almost always leave them behind and retreat, rather than face a predator.

EDIT:

Also, Tim leaves a disclaimer on every single video link. Nobody watches a video called "Crustacean Wars" or something that features a Mantis with the expectation that they're going to see a Disney ending.

Edited by MisterTang

(edited)
I've heard about this with crabs in general. I thought it was called auto-amputation or something.

Porcelain crabs will do this with their big claws if sufficiently threatened... they just pop them off and run away. In fact, I read somewhere that the large claws on Porcelain crabs are mostly for show, and they will almost always leave them behind and retreat, rather than face a predator.

I found a little talk of this regarding crabs, and porcelain crabs in particular. Nothing about shrimps though, other than their claws falling off when people were trying to catch them. This could be the same, but seems different since it was only one claw, and he held it out and waited for the mantis to take it before retreating.

Seems like a pretty effective tactic. One of the more interesting things I've seen in my tank.

I know some crabs do it when they get stressed, too. Alaskan King Crab fisherman call it "leggo ejecto".

tim

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

I have never seen that, but I have come down to find a claw less CBS with a big sally lightfoot chomping on the claw.

And even though there is NO need for defense in feeding, think of snakes eating mice or even feeding your fish live brine (smaller CBS)

Your mantis looks amazingly healthy and happy which is all that matters.

Yes, mine eat thawed frozen krill - although it is necessary to feed live food so their raptoral appendages stay strong, and to aid in molting. It's all a part of life, I'd stay away from Animal Planet.

I am not going to bash anyone for feeding a mantis, but just want to point out that "life" is a vast ocean which allows the prey a chance to escape, not an enclosed tank.

I am not going to bash anyone for feeding a mantis, but just want to point out that "life" is a vast ocean which allows the prey a chance to escape, not an enclosed tank.

Can't argue with you there. In the ocean, the leg-handing technique would have certainly worked.

In other news, as of today, I have lost a longtime fight with some PETA fanatics, who have complained almost every day for months about my videos. They finally found the right reviewer at youtube to complain to, after complaining to all the others and getting nowhere. As a result, youtube has now removed some of my videos, and I expect they will remove the rest soon. It seems it's only ok to post mantis videos if they are too grainy and fuzzy to make out much detail.

I had only planned 2 more Crustacean Wars videos anyway. Not sure if I'll still do them and post them somewhere else, or just stop 2 shy of the finish line.

Sad how a couple fanatics ruin it for everyone. Isn't that always the case.

tim

Can't argue with you there. In the ocean, the leg-handing technique would have certainly worked.

In other news, as of today, I have lost a longtime fight with some PETA fanatics, who have complained almost every day for months about my videos. They finally found the right reviewer at youtube to complain to, after complaining to all the others and getting nowhere. As a result, youtube has now removed some of my videos, and I expect they will remove the rest soon. It seems it's only ok to post mantis videos if they are too grainy and fuzzy to make out much detail.

I had only planned 2 more Crustacean Wars videos anyway. Not sure if I'll still do them and post them somewhere else, or just stop 2 shy of the finish line.

Sad how a couple fanatics ruin it for everyone. Isn't that always the case.

tim

Odd that PETA would care about a friggin crustacean. Throwing live crabs into boiling water is ok, but a funny video not?

"leg handing technique"--that is funny. Maybe we'll see that in ultimate fighting soon....here's my leg.