To Catch a fish...

Ziggy953

Any suggestions on how to catch a fish without removing everything from my tank to do it?

I have a bad bad flame angel that must go. Catching it is going to be tough so any suggestions would be great!

i borrowed a fish trap to get out a naughty wrasse out of a 180. it takes patience but it works. i think it took 2 or 3 weeks.

Drain the tank very fast and fill it very fast. You can have your corals dry for a minute and be fine. Or try covering rock work in fine netting (where ever the flame isn't) this will it less place to run to when you're trying to catch it.

Drain the tank very fast and fill it very fast. You can have your corals dry for a minute and be fine.

WOW,

That's actually an extremely good and cleaver idea, as long as you have enough containers to hold it all.

BTW, your corals can be out of water for much longer than the minute you mentioned.

Good job Jason

Drain the tank very fast and fill it very fast. You can have your corals dry for a minute and be fine. Or try covering rock work in fine netting (where ever the flame isn't) this will it less place to run to when you're trying to catch it.

Interesting solution, but does that mean all your inverts and other fish have to flop around while you find the target fish? And many fish can still evade you in just a few centimeters of water. What if you drain the tank and the fish ends up under a rock. Don't you still have to pull it all apart? Brian Ward and I spent hours trying to get a blenny out of my 75g tank and eventually we just pulled out nearly every darn piece of live rock in the tank.

I had an angel in my 220, this is what I did:

1 fish traps - about three different types

2 fishing line with a hook

3 gig

4 drained tank (didn't work as he just hid behind the rocks with all the other fish)

5 got two 100 gallon rubbermaid containers from tractor supply, drained my entire tank, took out all water, rock and coral, and caught that &%*&$(*&^%. Oh and I had Kevin Garrison who took the rock out of the tank like they were feathers.

It was a nightmare. If you have a reef and no other tanks I suggest staying away from angelfish... If you have a tank to move coral to that is being nipped then it may be worth the risk.

Edited by reefhunter

All I can offer is a wish for luck. I had to remove all my LR to catch a bad fish. Granted, my tank is a heck of alot smaller than yours but it was still a PITA. I tried the trap and the hook with no luck.

Edited by Sugar Magnolia

You might have to move some stuff around to do this, but you force him to one side of the tank and section it off with a piece of acrylic and scoop him right out.

Completely clear 1/3 of the tank lenght without any live rock, etc..... Lure the bad fish over the clear side, put a divider in. Catch the bad guy. Learned this trick from a friend, work everytime and saved me lots of time with large tank and lots of LR.

You can purchase a tank divider from LFS such as petsmart, etc... or cut a piece of acrylic to make a divider, then glue a rectangular base at the bottom, so when placing this divider in tank, it will stand by itself.

Wow!!

That is a lot of suggestions! I think I like the spear gun the best though.

I'm going to give the dual net option a try first. I have a fish trap on the way to me and will give that a shot as well. I would really like to avoid taking everything out but if I have to I will.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!!

You could always use sodium cyanide- that's probably how it was caught in th first place. I'll bet there wasn't any rock removal either...

Hmmmm......

All I can offer is a wish for luck. I had to remove all my LR to catch a bad fish. Granted, my tank is a heck of alot smaller than yours but it was still a PITA. I tried the trap and the hook with no luck.

I had to do the same for the same tank.

Here's a crazy idea I may try next time I have to get a fish out: fill the entire tank with 1 or 2 dozen cheap 1 liter plastic coke bottle traps and put live food in every one. I saw a 2 liter coke bottle in the store -I might use that. As crazy as it sounds its got to be easier than taking all the rock out!

The last time I used the plastic coke bottle trap, a dottyback swam in and the moment I went to pull the trap out he wriggled back out of the trap. So I'm thinking use a double baffle ( 2 tops) in the trap.