This hobby sucks.

Leishman

This hobby sucks. Each time I grow a show size colony it has issues.

1st my Cali blue tort 10"x10"x16" to dead, all gone. Grown from a 3" frag

BT1.jpg

2nd my A. Hyacinthus 20"x10" bottom level 12"x8" top level. Grown from a 3"-4" mini colony

6.jpg

photo-1.jpg

and now my A. Exquister 16"x8"x10". Grown from a 2.5"-3" frag.

4-5.jpg

It started with a tiny dead spot 1/2 way up the main branch months ago. In the past week the dead spot became this:

2-8.jpg

1-6.jpg

When I pulled it out last night to frag, I saw the base had the same recession:

6-3.jpg

leading to this:

7-2.jpg

Its things like this that make me wish I only had a small tank and no need for large colonies.........

That's a bummmmmer! Any idea what's causing the issues?

As long as your pieces are bug free I'd be willing to loan you some tank space to try and grow out one of your frags. Unless you have some objection to using systems like Prodibio (some people do).

How long did it take you to grow those pieces out?

That's a bummmmmer! Any idea what's causing the issues?

As long as your pieces are bug free I'd be willing to loan you some tank space to try and grow out one of your frags. Unless you have some objection to using systems like Prodibio (some people do).

How long did it take you to grow those pieces out?

I can loan you some tank space too.

Rik you should dip the corals and see if you have some parasite. I will give you a frag of the exquister.

It looks like he has PLENTY of frags... he had to cut the coral into pieces because of the STN. I had the same problem with a blue-tip staghorn that was getting too big and showy for mother nature. Ended up with lots of huge frags - but the 'colony' just wasn't the same. Then it was the NAGA pink chalice... it was almost 10" in diameter, and just started dying off from one end. I had to cut it in half. I'm not sure if this actually happens more often with big colonies - or if you just feel the pain more!

Now my 'Leishman red table acro' is getting big... Sure glad I have a big frag in another tank!!

bob

sorry to hear about this Rik...i hope everything works out for u..

T HERE IS A REASON I HAVE DEEP SANDBEDS....There have been some good studies showing bad survivable of sps over a year or more in bare bottom systems.....for some reason most wamas/cmas veterans have no beds......I Have been in this hobby over 25 years and see alot of serious reefers sticking to old true Berlin systems....sandbeds produce alot of food and reduce nitrates at the same time.....rick your problems are typical of long term berlin systems....add deep sand....add a .5 mil of vodka per 50 gal of water and your tank will thrive.....

your problems are typical of long term berlin systems....add deep sand....add a .5 mil of vodka per 50 gal of water and your tank will thrive.....

NEWBIES NOTE! There are well documented methods for introducing vodka dosing to your tank. Don't just add vodka to your tank at the above rate. READ first!

I feel for you. Your tank was beautiful when I went to see it. I dont know if this will help but I always try and just take it in stride. All the years I worked as a flight instructor I found that when things came very easy to people they just didn't apprciate what they had accomplished as compared to students who really strugguled. All the loss we all go through in this hobby allows us all to gain some insight and for you to learn and try and figure the problem out for the next try. It is a very complex hobby unlike most where if you follow the instructions you can be fairly confident in the results. I think that is what makes this hobby so great and so frustrating at the same time.

Keep at it and the next coral that dies I am sure WAMAS members would be happy to give you some of your old frags to try again.